Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tankeryanker ( )
Date: June 30, 2017 01:55PM

My family on my mother's side came from Wyoming Mormons. Are there names that are more common to Mormons? Are there ways to tell if you come from polygamy families?

Bates
Street
Kiddy
Hunter
These are pretty common names in my tree.

Also, my family came from England, Scotland or Wales. Is there any way to trace the Mormon Church in these areas?

I want to know if my family was gung ho Mormons, or if they saw the Mormon church as a safe way to get to America as a group.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 30, 2017 02:23PM

I'm positive with my Swedish ancestors (Erickson), joining the church was a way to get to America. I've learned it gives you a much better picture to read the history of the places your immigrant ancestors left. During the late 1800s was the great Swedish migration. They left Sweden for the promise of farm lands that were getting scarce there and manufacturing jobs in the cities. Mine did the farming thing in Wyoming.

I know for a fact that one of my immigrant ancestors (Draper), native of England, joined the church for the sole purpose of coming to the states (by way of Australia--where he joined) with a promise of a job in the coal mines of Utah.

There is no family lore passed down about these immigrants having some strong belief in Mormonism and wanting to gather with the saints. It was a way of immigrating, and they went along with the program. It took a generation of children born in the church to solidify the mormon connection.

Posted by: tankeryanker ( )
Date: June 30, 2017 02:31PM

NormaRae Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It took a generation of children born in
> the church to solidify the mormon connection.

What does this mean?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.