Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 05, 2017 11:58PM

I knew he was near death 2 weeks ago and today we paid tribute to him. Next to my own dad he was the best man I have ever known. There was almost no preaching except for the obligatory "I believe in the blah, blah, blah" at the end of the speeches. It was all about the love and kindness and humility and service to his fellow man (regardless of their religion) that Leo showed to everyone he met.
Leo did us the honor of marrying us 44 years ago and agreed to it enthusiastically. The fact my bride was and is a Catholic was irrelevant to him. He knew we truly loved each other and were totally devoted to each other and nothing else mattered. And he and his wife have kept touch over the decades and it always felt like a warm loving embrace when they called.
Leo and his wife returned from their 2nd mission shortly before my dad died in 2000. They were a tower of strength for me and my family that we sorely needed at that time. I asked Leo to give the final talk at dad's funeral and the first words he uttered in the talk were "I love Leland Burr".
I love Leo Davidson. RIP my dear precious friend.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scmd not logged in ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 12:38AM

My condolences on your loss. Some people are so inherently good that even church authority fails to corrupt them. I wish there were more people, and especially more LDS bishops, just like him.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 01:46AM

I think you and I are in the same age range and as I read your tribute to this man, I felt bad that of all the church leaders I had up until the time I left, there's not one that I would make any effort to attend their funerals nor feel any particular sadness that they had passed.

I sort of wish it was different.

I enjoyed your post.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 02:06AM

I'm sorry for your loss, Ron. Kindness wears well, doesn't it?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 05:02AM

He sounds like a really good man whom you had the good fortune of knowing and bonding with to last a lifetime.

Sorry for your loss of a dear friend.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 06:50AM

I'm sorry for the loss of your long-time friend, who was likely one of those real Christians. I, too, once had a nice bishop, George Busby. I think many of us who are our age had a nice bishop or two. They were carefully chosen, and had to go to SLC to be ordained. They were in it for life back then, and might serve 12-15 years as bishop.

And then something happened and it went to shit.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 08:44AM

Sorry to hear of your loss, Ron, but you gave him a fine obituary.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 01:04PM

Too Bad, on all sides.

Unfortunately, anyone called now sings Only the party Hymn.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 06:46PM

Ron, my deep condolences on the death of your friend. A true friend doesn't judge. A true friend is kind and only wants the best for friends. The wonderful man you described was a true friend and a real saint. Big hugs, Bro! The Boner.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 07:53PM

Thanks bro. This thread answers that other "Can Mormons love?" thread pretty well.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.