Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pogie ( )
Date: July 03, 2017 05:35PM

I didn't really think the church was true before my mission. I told my bishop that I didn't want to go anywhere cold, or state side. I got my wish the Philippines. I hated it there at first but then I turned it into a 2 year vacation. Married a girl from the Philippines after a divorce from my first wife. My brother just got back from El Salvador. Also a non believer was telling me storied about the crazy things they did. Another friend who served in a south Florida Mission told me he would spend most every day on the beach or talking to Cuban girls. He moved back to Florida after his mission

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 03, 2017 05:49PM

I don't think it is the place as much as the companions.

Posted by: Godzilla ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 12:13PM

Agree to the companion thing, but being away from the president also helps.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 03, 2017 06:01PM

Pilipinas, talaga?
Tons of catholics, great scenery, nice people, at mga babae...:)

Of course, if you really don't believe, the best place to go on a mission is nowhere. But if family pressure, etc. prevail...that's not bad.
France wasn't bad, either. Nobody expected baptisms. So you weren't considered a "failure" if you baptized nobody!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 05, 2017 10:59PM

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 02:07AM

I sure wish that person would sell his/her story to Inside Edition.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 03, 2017 06:39PM

It's bad enough that TBMs waste their time, but non believers need to screw up the courage to just say no.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 02:34AM

Any kid who grows up Mormon deserves a two year vacation. It's the least the folks can do.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 06:43AM

Posted by: lolly18 ( )
Date: July 05, 2017 10:18PM

The Peace Corp or your local St. Vincent's

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 06:51AM

Ditto.

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 01:56AM

College, military, job or actual charitable service.

Posted by: slayermegatron ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 05:38AM

Home. If you don't believe and want a vacation then go on vacation. Want adventure overseas? Go travel in Asia or something? Don't have money for it (missions cost $10,000)? Become an English teacher somewhere and get paid while you explore a new culture. A mission is a miserable place for someone who doesn't buy into the church. Think of being surrounded by mindless believers (of which I was one) and having to pretend to believe or get caught and sent home (no refunds). Skip the mission and just go somewhere.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 06:48AM

" Married a girl from the Philippines after a divorce from my first wife."

Married and divorced prior to going on your mission???

Unless it was a senior mission, that seems odd to me..

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 10:25AM

Mormons are raised with the goal in mind to never cut the apron strings and stand on their own. Being scared of your parents is part of the Mormon control. I don't see grown-up adult people in the regular world terrified to tell their parents what they really think about things. Going on a mission without the benefit of a successful brainwashing is just wrong.

In my family, one parent talked non stop about "family honor" and the implication was you do what makes the family look good, and it doesn't matter if it goes against your personal goals, the family (church) is all that counts.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 10:36PM

A good pub.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 10, 2017 01:53AM

WHY in the world would a non-believer even GO on a mission? Granted, I didn't grow up Mormon, and I didn't know anyone else who was Mormon, so until I converted as an adult, I wasn't exposed to the whole "mission" thing.

But I DO remember being a teenager, and I only applied to universities that were WAY away from home. I LOVED my university years! Sure, being out from under the parental thumb, I did my share of hell-raising, but it was relatively innocent stuff. Got drunk a couple of times (and learned the hard way about hangovers.) Didn't do drugs. I got excellent grades, because, for the first time in my life, I found education to be fascinating.

University years are meant for learning, and hell-raising. Both are part of growing up. A mission would be - well, counter-productive. No growth there.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: July 10, 2017 01:34PM

Believe it or not

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 10, 2017 02:13PM

Study abroad. Live overseas and get college credit for it. I had two opportunities to go to France, and I should have taken at least one of them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.