Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Wanderer2017 ( )
Date: July 23, 2017 06:40PM

Not sure why, but I just find the state soul-crushing at times. I'm tired of the drama in my ward and family. I'm tired of the extreme Mormonism in my neighborhood, work, and college(s).
Even the weather wreaks havoc on my mental health, especially in the winter.

I've never fit in very well and some days I just dream of getting a job somewhere else, packing up, moving out, and never looking back.

But, I'm also scared to leave my bubble, so it's a tough situation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 23, 2017 06:58PM

Have you been able to link with an ex-Mo meetup where you're at?

They're scattered throughout Utah. There may be one in your neighborhood.

Winter blues are often times associated with Seasonal Affective Disorder. That can be treated by a combination of medication, therapy, light therapy, and Vitamin D supplements.

Talk to your doctor about that; it is treatable.

It is scary to leave your comfort zone. I'm going through that myself as I near retirement and want to plan a move back west, quite possibly Utah. Not northern Utah though. No desire to live in or around Ogden or SLC. Southern Utah looks more appealing to me, and seems more diverse.

Wish I could give you some job advice, but without knowing the particulars it would be hard to do.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 23, 2017 07:07PM

I packed up, moved out, and never looked back.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 23, 2017 07:40PM

I agree that living in Utah can be soul crushing. You'll need to find ways to avoid the drama whenever you can as you work toward leaving.

Take the trouble to seek out nonmo and exmo associates and take up some hobbies that have nothing to do with the mormon church. If mormons try to engage you in religious discussions tactfully change the subject or walk away.

If there are certain situations when this happens repeatedly, change your schedule and habits to curb this from happening. If it happens in the employee lunch room for example, consider eating somewhere else. Learn to say no thank you and mean it if mormon push their agenda on you.

Good luck.

Posted by: 23eagle76XEBXU ( )
Date: July 23, 2017 08:03PM

Left in 1984 best thing. Saw a diverse beautiful world and met exceptional people,good people who are not concerned with my past religious beliefs. Get back to Zion every now and then but get the same sick feeling that I had when I went to the MTC

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 23, 2017 08:13PM

There are places that are warmer, or less snowy, that are not all that far away. You have Arizona, Las Vegas, etc. In my youth I spent time living away from my family. In retrospect I would have made it *less* time away, but being away for a while was a good thing. And after all, your board name *is* Wanderer!

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: July 23, 2017 09:02PM

You only get so many trips around the sun.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: July 23, 2017 09:39PM

You said, in part:

"But, I'm also scared to leave my bubble, so it's a tough situation."

What 'bubble" do you feel you are in, and what is it about said bubble that you are afraid to leave?

Posted by: primarypianist ( )
Date: July 23, 2017 10:43PM

Same here. I absolutely hate Utah! The extreme heat, the extreme cold, and the church ran government.
I visited my brother in Washington last year, and since then I've been dying to move up there. But like every place, there are plenty of things I know I would hate about Washington. I just don't think it could possibly be worse than Utah.

Posted by: Rolled tacos on a sunday ( )
Date: July 23, 2017 11:20PM

I recently visited that area, I hear the winters can get depressing but the summer's are Amazing and the people some pretty friendly

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: July 23, 2017 11:26PM

Gee, I'll miss you all. Been living here (SLC)as an exmo since the 70's and like it. If you don't like the ward drama and all the Mormons in your neighborhood...move and don't go to church. There's lots of nomos and exmos and jackmos. No matter were you go you will find problems if you look hard enough.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 24, 2017 06:59AM

Odd. I'm retiring in one month and living temporarily in Pocatello. The whole family is wanting us to find a place in Utah, but I'm going for Oregon. I may lose the battle, though.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: July 25, 2017 02:31PM

Stick to your guns! I lived in Oregon for 30 years. I love it there. I now live in Washington. Very much the same.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: July 24, 2017 09:47AM

I love living here! Truly. Yeah, there are issues. Especially in rural Utah. But I find folks here who live outside the faith and are wonderful human beings. I've lived in many states. Maine is awesome, but so cold. Untold numbers of biting insects make summer unpleasant. Same with Missouri (ie, misery). California? Truly a wacky and expensive place. Pacific NW? Now, that's pretty awesome, but 9 months of rain is hard to deal with. Utah? Fishing. Camping. Hiking. Sun. Wonderful places like Capital Reef. I love it here! Been to almost every state. Something good in all of them. Utah works. IMHO. :)

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: July 24, 2017 09:48AM

Oops...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2017 09:49AM by incognitotoday.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 24, 2017 11:18AM

There will be problems everywhere. I've lived all over the 4 Corner states and can attest to this each state has its positives and negatives. Everywhere has its good sides and bad sides and if a person is moving just to escape their problems, usually those problems have a way of catching up with you eventually.

That being said, change is much scarier than the familiar because at least with the familiar, we know what to expect, no matter how negative the familiar affects us. Do some research, look at places that might be beneficial for you. Hell, try moving to a different part of the state first and see how that treats you.

As far as the mental health issue, the Intermountain West has some very serious problems when it comes to depression, suicide,and overall mental health. There are also simply not enough resources nor funding to mitigate the issue and the culture and various sub-cultures of the west compound it.

It's often touted that people regret not taking chances more than taking chances, so that's something to think about.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: July 24, 2017 01:58PM

my memory midday. No news or replica handcarts. I love Reno.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: July 25, 2017 02:29PM

Overcome your fear by taking one step at a time.

First step: Research some places you think you might like to live. You have to know where you're going before you can get there.

I've moved on average every two years for the last 35 years. Twice it was across the country and back. I survived just fine. So glad i've had so many experiences.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2017 02:30PM by janis.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 25, 2017 04:51PM

You will get a job somewhere else, pack up, move out, and never look back when your desire to do so is greater than your desire to stay.

People say they want to leave Utah, but... Or they want to leave the church, but... Or they want to leave their marriage, but... When you dig down through their reasons, the "but" is usually that they want it to be easy and without any negative consequences. Life rarely works that way.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: July 25, 2017 05:17PM

I hear you!

You are not making this up, BTW. I found the atmosphere in Utah to be negative and soul-crushing, even when I was an active TBM. So did my children. I have childhood friends who moved here to SLC, and they agree. We have each other, though, and all it takes are a few good friends--even one or two. The average woman has 3-4 real friends. The average man has 2-3. The Mormon cult blows-up the importance of popularity, because being an out-going, friendly recruiter is a valuable asset to the cult. The individual Mormons give the appearance of being more popular than they are, as part of their hype. The truth is, many Mormons, as well as Mormons in Utah feel the negative effects of snobbery, elitism, prejudice, sexism, racism, and homophobia. It's a Mormon thing AND a Utah thing.

Do you live in Provo? Are you young? Are you single? Married? Do you have children? Do you have close family where you are? I hesitate to give advice, because I don't know enough about you. If you are single, and would like to find a partner and get married--get the hell out! Even if you don't end up married, your single life will be a lot more fulfilling and interesting, elsewhere!

I like Cheryl's advice, for you to take, in the meantime, while you are still in Utah, making plans to move, looking for jobs, etc.

I wanted to leave, because the Mormons abused my children (long stories), they harassed, stalked, trespassed, and maligned us. We resigned, and that stopped 80% of the bullying. Now, they shun us. In my same neighborhood, not one Mormon former friend has a relationship with me--even my former VT across the street or the former bishop's wife next door--after 20 years of our living here. The Mormon neighbors think of me as an evil apostate, and they wish for bad things to happen to me, because that would prove their church is true--predicting "outer darkness" for me and my children. We have succeeded in life, health, prosperity, and happiness, and we can tell that they are jealous and angry at us, when and if they acknowledge us.

Anyway--for me, this was a SICK environment! At the local stores, neighborhood and community functions, the kids sports games--people would scowl at me, or look the other way, like I wasn't there. No, this is not imagined--I have had people with me, and they have commented on this behavior. Emotionally, I was not thriving. Loneliness set in, and self-pity. I did like my job, and was years away from retirement.

Instead of uprooting myself and my children, I decided to change my surroundings--in a concentrated effort.

First of all, I stopped going to the places where I might run into my snarky neighbors. I went to the health food grocery store, (and changed my eating habits) and the farmer's market and produce stands. I went to Costco at night. Instead of walking the dog around the block, I put her in the car and drove part-way up the canyon, and walked from there--more scenic. I spent as much time in Park City as possible.

In the meantime, our SLC neighborhood was becoming more and more non-Mormon. The old fanatics moved to St. George or to condos in Draper. My children married people from our neighborhood, and bought houses nearby. The schools my children attended, and my grandchildren will attend, have become less conservative, and more diverse, and quite crowded. I never volunteered in the Utah schools, and I never have to talk to anyone there.

As for your job, that can be your worse problem. I had a temporary job working with Mormons in a Mormon state government office, for a few months, and they were the worst months of my life! Gossip! Lying and scapegoating! Marital affairs. Someone-or-other always crying in the girls' bathroom. Constant turnover and re-training of new unhappy employees. One of my sons has his own company, online, and has non-Mormons for employees. Their clients are all out-of-state. Another son works for a National company, with regulated hiring and business practices, and he's happy with that. Another son travels quite a bit. I'm the senior person in my office, and I don't hire Mormons. We have a "no politics; no religion" policy in the office. We aren't in competition with each other. We are all on the same side. We truly help others, every day.

If you want to help others, in Utah, you can volunteer with non-Mormon groups, such as the League of Women Voters, local abused women's and children's shelters, the Jewish Community Centers, the coalition of Christian churches, food banks, Red Cross, etc. For some reason, Mormons avoid environmental groups and animal rescue causes--I don't know why--and the nicest people in the world volunteer for those.

If you can't change where you live, change where you hang out. Change what you think about, change the people you meet.

I like the lunchroom suggestion. At that awful government hiatus, I would put on headphones, and eat at my desk, or drive to a nearby park. There's nothing wrong with smiling nicely, and saying, "No politics or religion at work, please," if the Mormons corner you.

Take charge of your own life, and the Mormons won't be in control, anymore.

Prescription for SAD--this works!
1200 units vitamin D3 daily
30 minutes, 12-19 inches away from a light box (not expensive) every morning, while you eat breakfast.
Also, a high protein breakfast is recommended, no sugar.

Actually, Utah has more sunshine--even in Northern Utah--than most states. Pacific Northwest has too much fog and overcast, IMO. Also, Sundays in Utah, have less-crowded malls, parks, recreational and ski areas, because the Mormons all stay home to torture themselves with church stuff. The state is yours!

Enjoy the present moment.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 25, 2017 05:21PM

When was the last time you took a vacation? Go somewhere you haven't been before just to check it out.

Look at the real estate, apartment rentals, job listings, community etc. Get an idea if it's someplace you could see yourself living.

Maybe apply for a job while there. See what happens.

At least you'll have broken out of your bubble, even if momentarily. It will broaden your horizons, and possibly open up new opportunities *and* vistas.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.