Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 26, 2017 07:16AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 26, 2017 08:49AM

Interesting information with new insight...and something to think about for sure.

Within my maternal family, my earliest spiritual foundations were based on Vedanta (Advaita Hinduism), so I grew up in an "out of body experience" culture, where these kinds of experiences (astral projection, etc.) were sought (via meditation and practical exercises, etc.) and honored.

I was never good at this kind of thing and I always thought my personal attempts (through meditation, etc.) were boring :) ...

...although I did have one spontaneous ("unsought") experience (in early March of 2007), which (although "I" remained firmly anchored "in my body" throughout) could possibly be classified as an out-of-body experience since my perception during this experience was expanded far beyond my ability to explain.

(For those who understand the vocabulary: what I experienced "was"/appeared to me to be Brahmam..."the fundamental reality underlying all objects and experiences...pure existence, pure consciousness, pure bliss"...and this (in my life to date, unique) experience was the most extraordinarily peaceful and comprehensive feeling/consciousness/understanding that I have ever experienced, before or since.)

Anyway, and despite my single possible experience of this kind, my unfolding life has proved that these phenomena (including anything having to do with divination) are not where my talents seem to be.

But knowing that inner ear physiology and function may have something to do with a given person's ability to experience these phenomena is a very important lead to further discoveries.

Thank you, anybody!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2017 09:51AM by Tevai.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: July 26, 2017 09:54AM

This is a link to an article about out-of-body experiences that covers the topic from various perspectives, including history and phenomenology. It also includes a discussion of competing explanations of the experience. As the article says, "There are broadly two competing explanations of the OBE: that ‘something leaves the body’ (spirit, mind, consciousness, etc); or that it is a purely hallucinatory event that can be adequately accounted for in terms of psychology and neuroscience."

https://psi-encyclopedia.spr.ac.uk/articles/out-body-experience-obe

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: July 26, 2017 10:30AM

I am not sure I had an OBE as strictly defined ----- astral body actually leaves the body and attached by some silver cord. I never looked back at either my body or astral body or saw any cord.

After 20 something attempts, I did have an amazing experience and did go to meet with a 'spirit' person in what I believe was another dimension. That was what I thought the purpose of OBEs was to be able to travel to other dimensions and universes.

Later I read a book that said you don't need to do an OBE to go visit other dimensions or parallel universes. You can do it with greater ease and safety through dreams. They did have a procedure to follow before going to sleep.

After following that procedure, my dreams have definitely changed. Before I was getting infrequent dreams I could remember which usually had a basic 'message or warning' for me. Now, I am getting much more frequent dreams, sometimes 2 each night (I wake up sometimes at night) whether I go through the procedure to get and remember them or not.

I believe I have seen myself in 'parallel universe(s)' but it is just 'interesting' it hasn't seemed to have a life changing impact yet. Sometimes I see myself at my current age but mostly I see myself in younger and different ages. However, it is nice to have and remember more dreams.

Sometimes, I see different inventions (at least I have never seen them before) but those are not the main focus of the 'dream' it is to see my life there and sometimes there is also a message. These inventions so far could be well within our capability to produce but I just didn't get sufficient information.

In the vast majority I am in conversations with people (humans dressed similar to us) who seem to know me well and I have no idea who they are but clearly understand what they are talking about (work, hanging out, etc.). I don't say anything, I just observe, the me in that universe handles any conversation. Most are very brief and I seem to have no control thus far over where I go or what I see.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 26, 2017 02:18PM

My favorite resource for OBEs is William Bulman's work, particularly "Adventures Beyond the Body."

IIRC, he calls the plane closest to Earth the "astral plane" (I realize that people define it differently.) He says that it is roughly analogous to the Earth plane in appearance, but may differ slightly, i.e. there may be some different pieces of furniture in a given room. Lately I've been having a lot of lucid dreams, and I think that's where I've been going.

The funny thing is, I have a very difficult time talking to others on this plane. I often have a hard time forming words, like I am trying to speak underwater. A difference in vibration levels, perhaps?

And the truly funny thing is that when I am talking to someone, and that person figures out that I am awake and aware (sometimes I will tell them) about 95% of the time that person will get an "OH $#!^" look on their face as if they are NOT supposed to be talking to me. LOL

I wanted to see what I look like in that environment -- no mirrors, but finally I saw myself standing in front of me like I was looking at my twin. I looked maybe in my 20s, similar color of hair (more golden, I think,) but styled in a *bob* which I would *never* wear IRL. I remember thinking, okay, good, I look cute! And I had to work hard mentally to get "dressed" in something appropriate. I still had on my nightgown, and I remember one person looking at how I was dressed and having a good laugh about it.

Wacky nighttime adventures!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 26, 2017 11:36AM

I had two OBE which I had no control over or willed. They just occurred spontaneously.

The first I remained in the home where I lived at the time with my dad and brother while my spirit circled around the ceiling several times until I was returned to my body. I was 15 years old.

The next time was a near death experience. I went to the other side through the white light, saw some angelic figures resembling people in gym clothing I didn't know in a large room like a gymnasium as they were moving from one area to another, and then I was turned another direction to someone who resembled my maternal grandfather wearing dark sunglasses so I couldn't see his eyes standing over a table doing what appeared to be paperwork.

After he greeted me and we spoke briefly I was ushered through a different portal than the one I came by and sent back through the same white light returning to my body because it wasn't my time yet.

The white light was very peaceful and filled with love though I was moving very fast through it. There was no fear at all in the experience, only curiosity. It was totally engulfing. I was 35 when this happened.

I have never experimented with this or tried to be involved with the occult. As a teenager I was mildly interested, but soon panned it after trying a clairvoyance session when the lights in my livingroom where I was seated began flickering on and off as I was channeling some spirit's energy. I quickly got up from where I was sitting and ran outside, and that was the end of that!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2017 11:59AM by Amyjo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.