Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 08:29AM

HAH-hah!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 08:30AM

For my salad.

Posted by: nyetmo ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 08:33AM

I know a Catholic priest who carries a plastic bag of olives for his vodka when traveling.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 08:34AM

Does it have to be extra virgin ?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 09:08AM

Naw. Most people used that awful, but widely available, "Pompei" brand, which I think was Spanish olive oil mixed with vegetable oil. But you couldn't use vegetable oil, you understand!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 09:16AM

can used motor oil be used ?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 10:54AM

I hear Joseph preferred extra virgin. Pressed it himself.

Posted by: Puppet ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 08:51PM

Lol!

Posted by: Redneck Wonderland ( )
Date: July 29, 2017 12:23AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does it have to be extra virgin ?

What about extra slutty?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 10:48AM

Yup. On a chain right next to my dog tags and a medallion that said I was a mormon and in case of need contact another mormon.

Never used it. No time for formalities the one time I was asked to give a blessing.

All I could do was hold his hand and tell him he had lived a good life and we'd look after his family before he slipped away.

After that I never used oil for a blessing. Seemed an unnecessary ritual.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 11:01AM

Carry around a little vial of olive oil? No, that would be weird.

I did, however, carry around a little vial of blessed, consecrated oil, which just happened to be made from the oil of olives.

Clearly not the same thing. Ever heal a sick child with olive oil? Didn't think so.

Posted by: Redneck Wonderland ( )
Date: July 29, 2017 12:14AM

Human Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Carry around a little vial of olive oil? No, that
> would be weird.
>
> I did, however, carry around a little vial of
> blessed, consecrated oil, which just happened to
> be made from the oil of olives.
>
> Clearly not the same thing. Ever heal a sick child
> with olive oil? Didn't think so.

Interesting - So olive oil becomes 'blessed, consecrated oil' by mumbling a couple of magic words and letting it go rancid in a key tag vial

Does anyone know if i can use the same magic spell to turn ice tea into hard ice tea?

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 11:06AM

I had a keychain vial. Not sure why, consecrating the oil always made me nervous. Mormon rituals are always so tedious, because you always had to say the magic words right.

I think I carried it around during my mission, but not afterward.

Don't know what happened to it. I could use it in case I wanted to sauté a tablespoon of onions or something.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 01:34PM

I had a 19 y/o white cat , named 'Snowball' (Who is dead). She had a yellow eye and a blue one. Also, a 2" crook in the end of her tail that went perpendicular (b4 we got her). Great cat. <:-)
I wouldn't use your consecrated oil to cook with. It mite be rancid by now, unless you just got off your mission.
Just thinking...

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 11:57AM

Second Amendment olive oil

https://ldslibertyproducts.com/product/7-62-x-39mm-bullet-oil-vial/

You can't make this stuff up.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 12:00PM

In case I need to do an on the spot emergency stir fry?

Posted by: Politic ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 12:26PM

Within days of being called as a "bishop" in the UK I received a sample of a vial fron a US company hoping I could drum up some business for them.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 12:40PM

I wonder how many pairs of pants were ruined with a leaky vial?

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 01:38PM

I did. And then I got a little keychain vial.

I thought I was soooooo cool.

Oops!

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 05:22PM

When I was getting ready to leave on my mission, several decades ago, the stake Patriarch, as was his habit, came to see me briefly one Sunday afternoon and wished me well.

He and his wife have me a small vial of oil..I honest to god had never seen this in all my years, and after he explained what it was for, I still thought it was weird. He explained that I should put it on my keychain and he have me a metal keychain in the shape of Utah.

When I was in mission training in Provo, a couple of months later, I was sitting in class and could feel something wet on my pants leg. Didn't think I'd wet my pants and turns out it was the vial of oil had broken open.

I was very embarrassed and one of the teachers noticed. He told me to go change my suit and then bring him the pants to have cleaned. He brought them back to me a couple of days later and the oil was cleaned but there was always a stain there, and luckily I was kind of the only one who noticed it.

I never had one after, not that I wanted one.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 05:39PM

Oh Jesus, yes I did, and it was sacred to me back then. Seems so dumb to think about it now.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 07:51PM

OK so my TBM father has the bullet looking vial of 'consecrated oil' on his keychain. What makes it 'consecrated'? Do they refill the vial and then bless it?? I'm genuinely curious...

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 07:55PM

Yes. Any Elder or above may consecrate olive oil fir the healing of the sick.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 08:46PM

As a child I always thought the oil thing was very odd. I've seen my dad give blessings with it. Do these 'priesthood holders' say a prayer over the oil? Do there have to be witnesses? Do they really believe saying a blessing on some oil makes it become sacred? It's sooooo bizarre to me!

A few years ago I had to have an emergency surgery. My TBM parents came to be by my side. I was fully expecting an awkward offering of a 'priesthood blessing' prior to going into surgery, however dad didn't offer. I was relieved and spared the embarrassment! Their support was what I needed, not a blessing.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 08:56PM

This is how it is done:
1.Hold the open container of oil
2.Address HF in prayer
3.State authority (MP) by which oil is consecrated
4.Consecrate oil and set apart for the blessing and anointing of the sick and afflicted.
5.Close in the name of Jesus Christ.

now you can consecrate your own holy oil!

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 09:18PM

My husband 'made his own'. He obtained a small bottle, poured light colored olive oil into it, and kept it in the refrigerator. This was used many, many times (including when someone came over to give him a blessing in his old age needs).

For me, I asked for a blessing once (while in the hospital), and this was used--and made an 'instant' change for the better. (A serious surgery that was going to be undertaken, was found to no longer be needed, for some mysterious reason.)

Also, I believed that if it helped when men used it, it would also help if I used it (as, I believed, God was not prejudiced against the prayers of women).

I believed (and still do) that God doesn't ignore or reject prayers from the faithful based on no oil having been used, or because the person is a female. (After all, how many faithful in the world have access to a container of 'holy' oil on which they should depend in order to have their prayer 'heard'??
-----

The gospel of prayer oil according to pollythinks.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 09:23PM

Posted by: bradley ( ) "I hear Joseph preferred extra virgin. Pressed it himself."
----

P: bradley, you naughty boy (but sure made me LOL).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.