Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 02, 2017 11:20PM

" I went into his mother's room; she said, "Good morning; bring me that bundle from my bureau and sit down here." I did as she told me. She placed the bundle in my hands and said, "Handle this and then put in the top drawer of my bureau and lock it up. After I had done it she said, "Sit down. Do you remember that I told you about the Urim and Thummim when I told you about the Book of Mormon?" I answered, "Yes, ma'am." She then told me I had just handled it. “You are not permitted to see it, but you have been permitted to handle it,” [she said]. “ You will live long after I am dead and gone and you can tell the Latter-day Saints that you was permitted to handle the Urim and Thummim.[8]”

Sister Emma asked me one day if I would like to be adopted to them as their child and I did not answer her. She said, "I will wait a while and let you consider it." She waited two weeks before she asked me again. When she did, I told her, "No, Ma'am!" because I did not understand or know what it meant. They were always good and kind to me, but I did not know my own mind. I did not comprehend."

That second paragraph is odd, because everything I've read said when, later, she *wanted* to be sealed it was a big no-can-do.

Oh, and the official LDS biography? No mention of the sealing as a servant. Because it's all about family.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 09:58AM

Was this something written by Margaret Young? If so, take it all with a grain of salt.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 10:19AM

Sure, more magical stuff from god that you can't see, but you can only "heft" while covered with cloths and stuff.

Except that the "Urim and Thummim" were supposed to have been taken back by Moroni along with the plates...at least the "two stone breastpiece" version, which Smith didn't apparently use anyway, in favor of his magic rock, which confusingly was also called the "Urim and Thummim."

At least she didn't have to sleep with horny Joe. That we know of, anyway...

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 09:40PM

Jane Manning was a black servant girl that was sealed to Joseph as his servant not child as Emma proposed.

I wonder if she met the same fate as the other hired girls in the Smith household. Fanny, the Lawrence sisters etc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.