Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 31, 2017 09:29PM

A family member was involved in a serious car accident nearly 2 years ago. She is using an injury atty to settle the case and get her medical bills paid.

Does it normally take this long? Anyone have any experience with this...She is in UT.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 31, 2017 10:32PM

Don't know about Utah torts law....but up here my wife sued the operator of a swimming pool after she slipped and fell on slippery tiles in a change room fracturing her wrist. The combination of our lawyer being a fucking dolt and the company admitting no wrong doing led to a less than satisfactory result and not enough cash to my wife to be worthwhile.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 01, 2017 01:13AM

1. Don't expect too much, too soon; don't hang your life on it.

A good settlement is 3 X your med bills, + more for a long-term disability.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 01, 2017 01:35AM

If I had the church in a position where I was suing them and it was clear that I was going to win, her is what I would do when they try to settle for an undisclosed amount. I would tell them that no amount of money they can offer me will make things be 'undisclosed'. They either make several critical changes in their Handbook (church policies), or I drag them through the mud in court and the press publicly, while taking all I can get and telling the world how much it was in the end.

Posted by: Licensed in UT and CO ( )
Date: August 01, 2017 02:00AM

You don't know much about the law, do you azsteve? Or even the Constitution for that matter.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 01, 2017 02:07AM

He's venting. Take it as such.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 01, 2017 08:51AM

Not knowing much about the law. That's a pretty vague accusation when you know nothing about someone. It wouldn't be easy to sue the church. But it could be done, especially in a civil suit. If I hadn't waited far past the statute of limitations while healing from damages from this cult, I could have sued them over the psychological effects of the older temple endowment ceremony. I suspect that many people did exactly that, and pocketed real settlements. Certainly, the constitution doesn't prevent lawsuits against the church. I suspect that the church probably paid out a lot of 'undisclosed sums', to squelch the bad press, before they changed their so-called eternal endowment ceremony to remove the grusome death threats. They didn't do it because they realized they were wrong. It's very likely they did it to prevent an eventual class action lawsuit that would shock the public when details came out, and cost them more money than they could afford to pay.

Posted by: lolly18 ( )
Date: August 04, 2017 08:12PM

Smart people don't even try to settle personal injury claims until enough time has passed to really know that the injury has healed as much as it every will, and all injuries are known.

But if it has been almost two years, the client should know what the delay is and should find out specifically (as in some states the statute of limitations is 2 years and if the lawsuit isn't timely filed, they will have forfeited all right to it).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.