Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 12:28PM

I don't know if we've posted on this before. Here's another Utah cult deserving of our attention.

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_of_Truth,_Utah

Walter C's Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2017 12:29PM by BYU Boner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 01:28PM

Then on February 11, 1935 a member of the group named Edith Peshak died of cancer. She and her husband had joined in search of a promised spiritual cure for her disease. Marie Ogden claimed that Peshak was in a state of purification and could soon be brought back to life. On April 4, 1935, her newspaper column included a section entitled "The Rebirth of a Soul", which detailed Ogden's conversations with the dead woman and her beliefs about raising her from the dead. Ogden still had the corpse, which was being washed three times a day in a salt solution and "fed" milk and eggs by injection.

WTF? You know that made me think that I wasn't that crazy for joining TSCC

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 01:14PM

Quick!

someone do a Search of the property/ real estate records & find out who (anyone?) owns it Now!!!

we Ex-mos can revitalize it as a tourist attraction (clothing-optional, of course!)

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 01:27PM

I think Home of Truth is part of Canyonlands now.

I was able to locate it and go there many years ago.

The desert attracts visionaries.

Marie Ogden used her typewriter as a sort of seer stone. She got her revelations that way. She started the San Juan Record and she hired Albert R. Lyman to be the editor. Albert R. Lyman was a visionary sort, although he was Mormon and Marie Ogden wasn't. There has been an attempt to locate Marie Ogden's typewriter. No one knows where it is. The last time I was in Bluff, Utah, one of the shops had a display of antique typewriters so maybe hers was among them.

Marie Ogden couldn't resuscitate the corpse no matter how many enemas it got, and Marie Ogden kind of lost her credibility after that. People who lived at Home of Truth were not supposed to die. Marie Ogden ended her days in a nursing home, where my cousin took care of her.

There is ONE case of an eyewitness account of a corpse resuscitating in San Juan County.

Google "ZEKE JOHNSON VISION" and see what comes up.

It is an INCREDIBLE story, but the man seems sincere. He interprets his vision through the lens of a believing Mormon, but you can make your own judgment of what happened.

Zeke's confidante, Wayne Redd, who is mentioned in the story is my grandfather.

Whatever else, I am convinced that Zeke was convinced that he saw what he said he saw. No one seemed more discombobulated than poor old Zeke.

I too have had visions in the desert, as did Albert R. Lyman.

Someone said it is the iron content of the red rock interfering with the natural magnetisme of the body and somehow this ends up as the visionary experience.

WHO KNOWS?

Never go out in the desert on a horse with no name. Always take time to name the horse.

Lois

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 10:20PM

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 01:31PM

Is it for sale? Like Nipton, CA?

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 05:10PM

Revelations through a typewriter sound more official than those through a rock in a hat!

Date: August 08, 2017 05:16PM

I would LOVE to have been a fly on the wall during any of the conversations between Marie Ogden and Albert R. Lyman.

They both believed in Revealed Truth, and they both loved the Utah Desert.

Four Corners rocks!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 11:24PM

Nice story about the red rock and desert.

Maybe there is a magnetic force there, like a magnetic pole. It's said Niagara Falls is one. The falls is one of the largest electric power sources on the North American continent.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 11:01PM

Truth:UTAH (?)

well...

Date: August 09, 2017 06:30AM

It is about time someone built Truth a home.

Truth has been homeless for a long, long time.

If you go there, you will see that it isn't much to look at, but Truth calls it Home.

Maybe we should all build a home for Truth.

Lois

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 11:37PM

Mary Baker Eddy "received" God's final revelation, "Science & Health With Key to the Scriptures" through automatic writing. She was writing it in the 1870s and endlessly revising her divine revelation, with the help of a Unitarian minister/ghost writer--pun intended.

I must say, automatic writing on a typewriter is quite a feat! I much preferred an IBM Selectric back in my days of inspiration. Now I use Word.

It's good to know there's some Truth in Utah. Waiting for Spiritist to weigh in on this one...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.