Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 11:47PM

51 years ago on the occasion of my fathers wedding in the temple, my grandfather took the "out" they give in the endowment ceremony.

Yup. He is the only person I know to get up and walk out of the ceremony.

It was only his second time in the temple, the first being 50 years before his own endowment.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jan ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 11:58PM

I didn't walk out the first time through , because I kept thinking that it was bound to get interesting or better or start making sense. Obviously, it never did

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 02:08AM

I imagine thats what a lot of people thought.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 02:10AM

The pressure to continue works in favor of the Cult with a goal of ripping off as Many as possible for as Long as possible

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 02:40AM

I didn't walk out, but my first time through I wondered why they would offer that BEFORE revealing what it was that I had to consider walking out over. Strange.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 03:08AM

Exactly i found it strange and shady as hell.

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 11:03PM

My thought my first time exactly. But what do you do when you're surrounded with people you trust, whom you have always trusted, who are all doing the same thing and telling you it's the best thing ever?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2017 11:03PM by alyssum.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 03:58AM

I have been to through more endowment ceremonies than I care to admit, and I have never seen anybody leave.

I've often wondered what would happen if somebody did try that.

Anybody know how it is handled, if somebody does get up and leave?

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 04:34AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2017 04:35AM by steve benson.

Posted by: pettigrew ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 04:24AM

People don't walk out of the endowment ceremony the first time, because at that point they have no idea what it is.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 09:48AM

Not only do they not know what is about to happen, they're usually there to get their endowment as a prelude to their wedding (sealing). So they can't walk out. That was the case for me. That really pissed me off. Especially since I then had to go through the death pantomimes. It was disgusting.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 04:32AM

. . . I found myself increasingly sleeping through the temple hokey pokey and therefore missed the invitation to get up and walk out.

That said, if I had already been in a state of serious, action-oriented disbelief, I would not have been in the stupid temple anyway, so there would not have been anything for me to walk out of. I quit wearing my garments and subjecting myself to the incredible waste-of-time temple ceremony about a year before I decided to bolt the Cult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2017 04:33AM by steve benson.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 10:45AM

Question regarding endowment right before sealing.

What is more common: endowment shortly (days) before sealing, or both on the same day?

If it's the latter, what's the procedure: endowment in temple garb, then change into wedding attire, and head to the sealing room? I've heard people on this board (women, mostly) talk about what an exhausting wedding day they had, with the weirdness of the first-time endowment intensifying it.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 07:59PM

I think it has to do with proximity to the temple. Those who live within easy commuting distance usually do their endowment a week or two before the sealing. If, however, the trip to the temple is longer, they wrap it all into one day.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 02:33PM

I did it on the same day. I wore nothing for the washing and anointing, except the "shield" and then I changed into the garments and put on my wedding dress (it has to meet certain criteria). Then I put all that shitty gear over the top of it.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 03:27PM

I heard that now the poncho-like thing is fully covered from the sides. No one can see your penis flopping around when you walk around, from a side view anymore. I really laughed when I heard that they sealed up the sides. Someone must have filed a lawsuit and really yanked some fangs out of the cult there. Clearly after 150+ years, modesty had nothing to do with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2017 03:28PM by azsteve.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 06:46PM

I was exhausted from an overnight bus trip, so somewhat irritable.

I kept wondering, "When does it get all spiritual?" because, of course, that is what all the hype says.

I was bewildered and more than a little pissed off when it was over and it had been such a dud. I was the only person on the bus trip home who failed to stand and bear a "testimony." Everybody else was rambling on about how "spiritual" it had been, and I just couldn't say that. At that time, I believed it must have been my fault, for not "believing" enough.

I was VERY relieved, years ago, when I stumbled into RfM and found people discussing that disillusionment.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 07:30PM

How many times can you go and then walkout. I would do it at the end of the movie.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 08:21PM

I wanted to bolt, but that was after they'd closed and guarded the doors.

Posted by: druid ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 08:54PM

In the interest of full disclosure- Wouldn't it have been nice if the Bishop had showed you the eternal contracts you would be making at the worthiness interview?

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 10:30PM

For me, it was that constant getting up and down (just when you were comfortable, and about asleep).

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 11:06PM

Don't worry, they took that part out (at least they did when I was a temple worker) because it was hard for disabled persons. Now you could sleep in peace. Actually drove me nuts because I hated sitting so long.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.