Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 11:03AM

A couple days ago I posted a terse message on FB about how "While everyone is gabbing about Civil War statues, Sierra Leone had a massive mudslide killing over 400 with 600 still missing, and I can't find any evidence for a response or announcement of emergency aid from from the USA"

A mormon friend of mine posted: "Probably the Mormon church was there. They seem to be one of the first."

OK, fair enough, so I looked it up, and the Headline is 'Seven LDS Members Killed in Sierra Leone Mudslide'

From the LDS Newsroom:

"No missionaries were injured and all are accounted for, said Bruce Muir, the Church’s humanitarian response director.

No Church properties were impacted by the mudslide.

More than 3,000 people have been displaced by the recent disaster. Local Church leaders were still trying Thursday to assess the impact on the homes and properties of LDS families. "Help is on the way,” said Muir, adding the Church is working with its partners in the humanitarian relief community to assess the situation and determine the best way to deliver aid."

Then, at the end, check out this oddly worded paragraph: "The first Mormon missionaries arrived in Sierra Leone in 1988. Today, there are more than 17,000 members serving in 55 congregations, according to MormonNewsroom.org."

"Serving"?? It's all about the church...err...the family...

I looked up Anglican relief at random, just to see what another church is doing, and no mention of members killed, just how to help and working with other agencies. Although the several mentions of "praying for people" doesn't really help find dead bodies or house the homeless.

I raided my paypal account and donated to a local agency that works internationally.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 12:14PM

The Mormon mindset really shines through. Apparently, the non Mormon community doesn't really matter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.