Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 12:27AM

Someone I thought was a friend---a former mormon, sent us a very elaborate, round-about letter that as far as I can translate through the wierd verbiage is saying that since my TDM DH and he have discussed all he knows of to discuss about why he left the church and what he now knows is true, and my husband hasn't come around and apparently doesn't intend to, the relationship is over. RATS. I hate this conditional friendship thing---it's PAINFUL.

So anyway---I hear this being discussed all the time in various ways on the rfm; whether it happens because a mormon leaves the church, or because a Jew becomes Christian or because a Christian leaves the church, or because a secular humanist becomes a Christian---it sucks. Wouldn't it be nice if we could just like each other and enjoy being together because we like each other?
grrr.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 01:23AM

relievedtolearn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So anyway I hear this being discussed all the
> time in various ways on the rfm; whether it
> happens because a mormon leaves the church, or
> because a Jew becomes Christian or because a
> Christian leaves the church, or because a secular
> humanist becomes a Christian---it sucks. Wouldn't
> it be nice if we could just like each other and
> enjoy being together because we like each other?

Of course it would be nice, but It would be impossible as long as people continue to focus on the differences between them and the "others".

Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 03:09AM

I was going through some things today...planning to move.

Found a type-written letter (you remember those? on an actual typewriter?) stuffed in my missionary journal.

I threw it away.

But I scanned it before I pitched it. The theme was "sifting".

How the mormon church is like the early Christian church and faced challenges.

The essence was that all Mormons will face challenges in our day and a "sifting" (like wheat?) will happen to everyone and we should be prepared.

Numerous examples: Being offended at church, sin, going inactive, laziness,
believing false doctrine, etc.

Wow. It is like the writer knows that every member will be challenged. Why? Probably because it's a crock of sh*t.

At no time was there ANY mention of finding evidence that the church has lied or isn't "true". No examples of discovering that something isn't twuoooo.

It's like no mormon could even imagine that there would be evidence enough to create doubt. It's either laziness or wanting to sin.

No mention of "some may find errors or deceit".

I trashed this paper faster than you can imagine. Just another piece of propaganda.

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 08:05AM

And these delusional folks think they are going to CK BECAUSE they are mormons. Didn't they read the Bible verses that say God is love and if you have ought against your brother go fix it BEFORE you come to the altar? Any and all sins including pride do not exist in heaven.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 09:48AM

I had some so-called friends, some very very long time friends, dump me when it really sunk in that I wasn't going back. Didn't take long to realize that it was a great tool to find out who your real friends were and who was just tolerating you because you shared membership in a lame organization.

I have moved to the other side of the country, but I have 3 long-time LDS friends from Utah who I stay connected with and who I try to get together with if I do happen to be in Utah. Woops, scratch that, it's 2 long-time friends who are still LDS and one long-time friend who shocked the hell outta me a year or so ago when she told me she'd left the church. But anyway, I love them so much because they were actually real friends.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.