Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 01:17PM

In my head can anybody relate? i had somebody from the local ward ask if they could bring me food the same person that triggered me yesterday are they seriously brain dead i just got my tonsils out im not eating shit today but they are so programmed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2017 01:20PM by badassadam.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 01:28PM

Eat some ice cream.
Or a slurpee.

If your doctor allows it, of course.

Otherwise...yeah.

Don't worry, the pain will subside in a day or so.
Been there, done that :)

Date: August 14, 2017 01:42PM

Oh thank god it subsides that soon i have a relative getting popsicles right now but i am allergic to ice cream so that wont help.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 01:32PM

Is there anything you can take to help the pain (that's non-addicting?)

I'd be going for ice cream too if you're able to swallow.

Or a milk shake to take your Tylenol with Codeine with.

Put your feet up, rest, watch cartoons, etc.

Not news. That might only aggravate you more.

Date: August 14, 2017 01:44PM

I just tried to swallow water and it killed me i have a relative getting liquid hydrocodone right now.

Date: August 14, 2017 01:51PM

I had a wisdom tooth out two weeks ago today. It made me feel badly for my children who had theirs out all at once.

Was out of commission for an entire day wearing gauze in my mouth.

Trying to picture that with four instead of merely one tooth, I was just glad it was only one.

Date: August 14, 2017 01:59PM

I had 4 wisdom teeth pulled back in the day but i think tonsil removal is worse atleast so far atleast for me but i also had a nose procedure done at same time today so thats not helping either deviated septom removal or something like that.

Date: August 14, 2017 02:39PM

Deviated septum surgery is no picnic either.

No wonder you feel sapped.

Date: August 14, 2017 02:58PM

Yep i wasnt anticipating the septum but it was on the paperwork to do for some reason and the doctor and i knew that i actually did have a deviated septum so i just said screw it do it at the same time i have a gause under my nose for the bleeding it sucks badly.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 09:17PM

I had deviated septum surgery and the worst part of it was having to sleep upright for several days.
I remember the doctor pulling out the packing. It was endless. he kept pulling and pulling and pulling and pulling and pulling ....
And do you remember when the alien came out of that guy's chest ?
I blew my nose and it looked just like that alien.

Date: August 20, 2017 02:46AM

I had splints in my nose that were way bigger than i thought they were when they came out it was nuts and a bloody mess.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 05:16PM

I remember getting the splints pulled out of my nose. They looked like big guitar picks only softer.

Date: August 20, 2017 05:33PM

Yep big guitar picks is a great way to describe them.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 05:42PM

1 I had my tonsils out when I was very young - four at the most, probably three. I remember the vanilla ice cream but mostly I remember being angry at being in a crib!
2 I had my wisdom teeth taken out during my freshman year in college - one at a time. In one (which took three hours) the anesthetic wore off and due to my bleeding problem (not diagnosed until many years later) I fainted the next day.

Date: August 20, 2017 05:46PM

I wish i would have done this when i was young but my parents apparently didnt think that it was important they were faaaaantastic parents.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 02:10PM

Poor baby. Sleep a lot will make the time pass and guess what????
You won't be thinking of how much it hurts!!!!
Keep stuff moist. you DO NOT want a dry socket anywhere.
R U the same as badassadam1 ?
This too shall pass. Have you laughed or been happy for a fleeting second today?
Take care.

Date: August 14, 2017 02:24PM

I am the same badassadam1 and the only badassadam haha jk i just couldnt remember my password because of how long i had been gone from this site.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 02:10PM

When I had my tonsils out many years ago, the doctor told me if I baby my throat, it will hurt for a couple of weeks. If I don't, it will hurt for a week. Two days after having them out, I ate a bowl of Cap'n Crunch. It took over an hour and they were soggy when I finished but I finished. I mostly survived on Slurpees though. They were a godsend.

A week later, almost to the hour, the pain just stopped. My voice changed a little bit. It sounded like it had more presence I guess.

Compared to my wisdom teeth being pulled, the tonsils were much worse.

Date: August 14, 2017 02:28PM

Yes thank you the tonsils are worst than the wisdom teeth i knew it because it has been atleast a decade since my wisdom got pulled and i would have remembered if they were this bad

Posted by: Anonish ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 02:17PM

I thought you were bad ass, Just saying

Date: August 14, 2017 02:29PM

Hey hey woh im still a badass ask anybody this is my eighth surgery in a row and my nose was included on this one.

Date: August 14, 2017 02:32PM

So take it back call me a badass haha jk you are right though i should just toughen up a lot more but venting on the board seems to help so im rolling with it.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 02:18PM

My wife had hers out when she was in her 20's. It was brutal for her. Still have mine (and my appendix) at age 69.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 02:27PM

I had mine out when I was 18. Hurt really bad for two weeks. Couldn't swallow without a lot of pain. I remember feeling so happy when I could chug a whole glass of liquid without pain.

Hang in there, it will pass.

Date: August 14, 2017 02:41PM

Alright thanks johnny appreciate it

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 02:32PM

Did they tell you to suck on ice chips and eat ice cream? Be sure the ice cream is smooth with no nuts, chips, or cookie crumbs.

I hope you also have some pain medication to use for a few days.

Good luck.

Date: August 14, 2017 02:35PM

I just had someone get my liquid hydrocone and i got a popsicle so things might be getting under control.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 02:37PM

Even Samson in the bible had a weakness. Cut his hair off and he was a weenee for awhile.

Date: August 14, 2017 02:43PM

Damn right thanks cutekitty

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 02:53PM

I hope that you feel better! The medicine and popsicles should help.

Date: August 14, 2017 03:05PM

Look at the bright side: you weren't circumcised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pr8omZImvY

Date: August 14, 2017 04:03PM

Thats pretty funny but im pretty sure i am circumsized which i kind of wish i wasnt, why the hell do they circumcise babies and who the hell makes that decision i would like to know.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 03:30PM

The daughter of my ex's cousion, about 40 years old, had hers out a couple of weeks ago. She was really miserable made everyone around her miserable too.

I'm 68 and still have mine. They're going to stay.

Date: August 14, 2017 03:54PM

Haha well its a miserable experience and im 34 they say its way more miserable as an adult but they were causing me too much pain and misery so i had to get them out and i was scared shitless before this surgery and i have had some tough surgeries like my labrum

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 05:51PM

In the UK they now recommend avoiding icecream and jelly (jello) and eating buttered toast, instead, or other crunchy foods.

http://www.uhs.nhs.uk/Media/Controlleddocuments/Patientinformation/Earnoseandthroat/Discharge-advice-following-tonsillectomy-patient-information.pdf

Date: August 19, 2017 05:59PM

Well im allergic to ice cream but i have started to eat bologna and spaghetti and meatballs, not exactly hard foods but its not applesauce everyday. Its day 6 and im still hurting i cant believe it.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 07:51PM

Been through tonsilectomy and adnoidectomy. It was not a ride through the wine country. I wish you a speedy recovery, adam.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2017 07:52PM by Aquarius123.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 08:02PM

The older you are the worse it is. For some it's even worse than worse. When I had mine out I could only eat bread without throwing up for three weeks.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 02:39AM

My 6-year-old grandson had his tonsils and adenoids out. He spent about a week on the couch, and we waited on him all day, bringing him whatever his little heart desired. He had his own TV set up, and video games. His uncles brought him presents. His classmates sent him get well cards. Now, three months later, he still likes to be "king of the couch," and give orders to his "servants."

Now is the time to spoil yourself! Grant yourself everything you wish. Yeah, if popsicles and painkillers are what you want, go for it!

Relatives and friends will be sympathetic, and will gladly wait on you. A lot of people have had their tonsils out, so they understand your pain! I was 4, and too little to remember, but my parents brought me a stuffed dog, in the hospital, and I carried that dog everywhere I went, for the next 8 years, because it was a comfort to me.

My grandson loves the "brave lion" we gave him. Buy yourself a present!

Hang in there. When you start getting grumpy, that's a sure sign that you're getting better. :-)

Date: August 20, 2017 02:50AM

Oh im one grumpy MF haha. Im on day six and im still hurting what the hell when does this end.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 21, 2017 03:28PM

Back in the day we ALL had our tonsils out as kids. Second sore throat and out come the tonsils. I was pretty healthy and didn't have it done until I was 16. We spent 3 days in the hospital, the day before, the day of and the day after. I do remember how badly it hurt and just wanting popsicles.

Date: August 21, 2017 03:37PM

I really wish they did it to me when i was a toddler or something. There was a two year old there that was way less scared than i was.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 21, 2017 10:58PM

My parents held my arms and legs still while the doctor held an ether-soaked gauze over my nose and mouth. But I held my breath and thrashed my head back and forth as much as I could. Then it took forever to go to sleep. I fought it.l My parents kept telling me to go to sleep, but I was on a hospital gurney. I kept saying "Take me home. I'll sleep in my own bed." But they wouldn't.

Eventually, I did fall asleep, and when I woke up, my throat hurt like bloody Hades, and I started crying. My mother kept trying to hush me, saying that crying would only make the pain worse, and that once I was home, I could have all the ice cream that I wanted. But I didn't want any, because the ether made me feel nauseated. Before we got home, I had thrown up copiously all over my mother, and wasn't a bit sorry.

I didn't have to stay in the hospital because my mother was an RN and could care for me at home.

Date: August 22, 2017 01:08PM

Holy snikeys i heard that back in the day getting tonsils out was mandatory for all children and it was done in a more barbaric way.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.