Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 02:17PM

One of the Brat Pack, and a great comedian.

He will be missed.

R.I.P

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/legendary-comedian-actor-jerry-lewis-dead-91-n794331

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 02:25PM

Aww. Great comedic genius. He'll be missed- especially in France.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 02:25PM

A national day of mourning will be declared in France.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: August 21, 2017 12:14PM

The French hardly know who he is. He got a Cannes Award once, and Americans think that means he's their favorite comedien.

I think it's American insecurity trying to show the French are into slapstick.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 10:23AM

Well, he's probably more loved in France than in the US, but from what I understand, that's not difficult. Apart from that, Axeldc's hit the nail right on the head ;-)

Tom in Paris

Date: August 20, 2017 04:36PM

My favorite Jerry Lewis movies were just about all of them.

Who here remembers Rindercella? The Nutty Professor? The old Dean Martin and Lewis combos? They were so funny, originals both of them.

Watched The Geisha Boy as a grade schooler myself. Pure magic. :)

Last movie I watched of his was "Hardly Working," 1980.

It was good, but hardly a classic.

He had acting and voice over parts right up to 2016. Old Hollywood greats don't die. They fade into the sunset.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001471/

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: August 21, 2017 09:05AM

A reworking of the Cinderella story with most of the genders reversed.
Saw it first-run at the Fiesta drive-in in Winters, Texas.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053716/

RIP.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 05:16PM

He was filming The Nutty Professor on my campus. Saw him another time at Reno sitting several rows behind me at a show.

Date: August 20, 2017 06:16PM

Oh, luckee!

I never got to see him in person.

Once I went to see his son perform in my hometown "Gary Lewis and the Playboys." I met his wife while listening to him perform. She was really nice. She said she could manage him (Jerry's son,) because she is/was a psychologist. Added that he needed one to understand him fully because of his rocky childhood and growing up in the shadow of a very famous father.

:)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 07:13PM

I never thought he was funny. What is it with the french ?

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 07:22PM

Me either. I guess you either liked him or you didn't. I hated the way he behaved. It really turned me off. But I think it was more of a young boy kind of humor.

Date: August 20, 2017 07:48PM

That's just how I feel about Jim Carrey.

Jerry Lewis used to say about Carrey he had the potential to be a great comedian, if he stopped picking roles that demeaned his comedic ability instead of building him up.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 11:32PM

ditto

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 21, 2017 07:39AM

Yep. I just don't find them funny.

Posted by: Moi ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 03:29PM

Neither did I. Nothing funny about someone acting like a cross-eyed, buck-toothed retard, and Jim Carrey is a rubber-faced jackass. Blech

Date: August 22, 2017 03:53PM

For a little kid, it was the buck teeth and goofiness that endeared him to me.

Comedy was clean when he was in his prime. He'd only choose parts that he considered wholesome and that wouldn't compromise his moral values.

That was the distinction he drew between himself and Carrey. Carrey was for a different era, a less innocent time than the one Lewis grew up in.

Lewis was hilarious in those old flicks. Now if I were to watch them as re-runs I wouldn't see the same humor. That's because we're accustomed to over stimuli, and massive special effects in movies that didn't exist back in the day.

As for morality, it isn't the same world either we inhabited then that our children have inherited from us.

I see it as the "Age of Innocence Lost."

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 07:16PM

I thought he died a long time ago.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 07:28PM

Who's gonna do the Labor Day telethon for MD?

Date: August 20, 2017 07:49PM

Right. Those are some pretty big shoes to fill he left.

Date: August 20, 2017 07:55PM

Never thought he was funny but the French certainly are.

Poor dude made a movie about the holocaust that was never released he called The Day the Clown Cried.

A washed up loser clown named Doork is forced to perform for the inmates of a concentration camp.

Never saw it but it sounds completely cringeworthy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_the_Clown_Cried

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 11:21PM

I saw Jerry Lewis's act at the Arizona State fair a few years ago (half-full coliseum). He joked then about his own mortality and seemed surprised himself to still be alive. In-between different comedy acts, he told about his life story, his previous close brushes with death, and how he felt about his life and various friendships. He seemed ready to go, but not in a hurry as he joked about not wanting to see all of his old friends (all dead) too soon. For those who knew the highlites of his career, he re-did some of those acts, great reinactments. It wasn't like he needed the money to perform there. He seemed to just want to keep active in his life and to be with his fans who he really seemed to enjoy being with, despite some significant physical infirmity.

Posted by: Omergod ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 11:37PM

He did a lot of good with the MDA. That's what I remember of him.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 11:49PM

I loved Jerry Lewis, when I was a child. He was one of the funniest people who ever lived, IMO. I love Jim Carey, too. They both are/were masters at slapstick, and sight-gags. That was one of the types of humor I grew up with--you know, the old Laurel and Hardy (the funniest of all) and also old Abbot and Costello movies.

I watched several MD telethons all nightlong, when I was awake with my new babies, or with illnesses, and found the love he exuded to be very comforting. I always donated--still do.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: August 21, 2017 05:49AM

HEY LADY, didnt he used to say that?

Date: August 21, 2017 08:13AM

Just for the record Amjo, Jerry was never a full fledged rat pack member.

It was Frank Sinatra who deftly arranged the epic rapprochement between the two famous partners but Jerry never hung with the pack after that.

I do remember feeling glad when I saw the two icons of my youth in such an emotional embrace.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 21, 2017 11:07AM

A powerfully psychological dark comedy. Martin Scorsese directed De Niro as a psychotic fan who stalks a late-night host, sort of a hybrid of Johnny Carson and Lewis himself, in an attempt to break into the late-night big time. Script by Paul Zimmerman.

It showed Lewis' capacity for drama. Funny and eerie.

Date: August 21, 2017 04:00PM

Jerry pays tribute to his fellow showman Donald J Trump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND96cCi8qf8

Posted by: girlawakened ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 10:20AM

Sadly, he became, or was always a very privileged, angry man. His final interview destroyed any concept of a grateful man who happened to make a living making others smile.

Date: August 22, 2017 10:50AM

Ignominious endings happen girl.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2017 10:51AM by Shummy.

Date: August 22, 2017 12:07PM

I shoulda known.

He was born to Russian Jewish parents. He's been called the "Quintessential American Jew."

Jerry, you da man! :)

Him and Joan Rivers had a running feud. Surprise, surprise that he outlived her by three years!

He said of her that she set Jews back by 1000 years.

From an online blog describing their disjointed running feud, "Suffice it to say, their relationship was about as congenial as a bear sodomizing a rabbit.

In her recent biography Last Girl Before Freeway, which I reviewed yesterday, Leslie Bennetts set the stage for their imbroglio: "Would-be rivals weren't the only men who expressed their hostility [for Joan.] For nearly sixty years, Jerry Lewis hosted an annual Labor Day Telethon to benefit the Muscular Dystrophy Association...Rivers offended the legend by voicing her revulsion at the way he used the children's disabilities as fodder for his own melodramatic histrionics." (Bennetts 66)

Rivers appeared on the telethon one year and, afterward, Rivers publically opined that "he was standing there with a child next to him saying, 'This kid is gonna die.'" Rivers was incensed by the blatant exploitation of the children, saying that she would "never do the telethon again." "You do not say in front of a little boy who is going to die, 'This child is going to die.'," she fumed. "Who are you? You unfunny lucky, stupid asshole." (Bennetts 66-67)

If Rivers' statement may seem harsh, Lewis's response was even more severe. Lewis sent her a scathing letting, starting with goading over the fact that they had "never met" and he was "looking forward to keeping it that way." "If you find it necessary to discuss me, my career, or my kids ever again," he roared," I promise you I will get somebody from Chicago to beat your goddamned head off." (Bennetts 67)

Lewis did not leave well enough alone, reminding her of the legal fact that "you're not allowed to threaten people." "So if you go to [the police, show them this letter, they'll arrest me," he stated, "but I want you to never forget what I said." (Bennetts 67)

Rivers, uncharacteristically, was forced into silence. "Done," she said, "never talking about him again!" She took the threat seriously, and even "hired guards" though she didn't "take him to court." "My last words are not gonna be 'But I was only kidding!'" (Bennetts 67)

Now, one has to ask: why do two comic geniuses have to resort to such petty name-calling? The simple answer is that Rivers had a poisoned tongue and Lewis has a historically thin skin.

Rivers point is actually a valid one, ethically. Though Lewis's telethons do net a lot of money for the MDA, at what cost is that accomplished? Parading these children around like ticking time-bombs is accomplishing nothing but making the child look miserable and Lewis, to quote Rivers, like "an asshole."

Lewis's reputation proceeds him, as Rivers herself illustrates in her second memoir Still Talking, published in 1991. In 1968, Rivers was the host of That Show, designed to be a buffer between The Today Show and the morning game shows on NBC. "Jerry Lewis," writes Rivers, "came on our dumb little show like a big king, demanding everything." She describes him having "arrived late, full of being Jerry Lewis" and wanting "a bigger dressing room...champagne... and flowers." "Two thirds [sic.] of the way through the show," Rivers watched in horror as he "looked at his watch and said, 'I've got to go' and walked out." (Rivers 76)"

http://www.chicagonow.com/intellectual-chicago-suburbs/2016/11/a-joan-rivers-thanksgiving-week-celebration-2-the-epic-clash-of-joan-rivers-and-jerry-lewis/

Date: August 22, 2017 04:05PM

When Carey stepped away from comedy he amazed the showbiz world with some seriously credible dramatic chops in Truman and Eternal Sunshine.

Guess Jerry on the other hand was never well suited for the serious introspective side of an actor's life.

Date: August 22, 2017 07:17PM

Aw heck, we all have our hangups. Even Alexander Graham Bell had hangups. ;)

It's just when you're famous, like Jerry Lewis was, they become magnified because their public persona gives sway to their personal foibles, when they are iconic screen names.

Fame and fortune is not the end all be all. But I doubt he'd have traded his life for someone else's. He lived his dream. Whatever regrets he had - well he must have had some. That belongs to his private deeply personal side, the one he didn't or couldn't reveal to his adoring fans.

It was his dark introspective side that enabled him to shine brilliantly as a comedian. It also made it difficult for those closest to him to put up with his changing moods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2017 07:18PM by Amyjo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.