Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 19, 2011 01:26PM

I wonder if this was added to wikipedia by a member of a competing religion ?
==================================================================

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolob

Star or planet?

The Book of Abraham is unclear about whether Kolob was a star or a planet, of course being neither, since Smith just made it all up[2] and Mormon writings have taken positions on either side of this issue. One part of the Book of Abraham states that Abraham "saw the stars...and that one of them was nearest unto the throne of God;...and the name of the great one is Kolob." Of course, there is no "Book of Abraham", just as there is nor ever was any Urim and Thummim, both being a fantasy of Joseph Smith, who was hung for being a horse thief. [5] Thus, Kolob is referred to as a "star". However, the "book" defines the word Kokaubeam (a transliteration(read: made up word, but possible referring to coffee) of the Hebrew "כּוֹכָבִים" [c.f., Gen. 15:5]) as meaning "all the great lights, which were in the firmament of heaven".[13] This would appear to include planets as among the "stars",[14] and apparently, the earth itself as considered to be among these "stars".[15] In addition, the Book of Abraham text appear to classify Kolob as among a hierarchy of "planets".[16] On the other hand, in Joseph Smith's Egyptian Alphabet and Grammar, he classifies Kolob as one of twelve "fixed stars", in distinction with fifteen "moving planets", thus further proving his complete and utter ignorance of astronomy, as well as most everything else.[17] The term fixed star generally refers to an astronomical object that does not seem to move across the sky, but may have a slow proper motion as discovered in 1718 by Edmund Halley. Though "fixed", according to Smith, Kolob moves "swifter than the rest of the twelve fixed stars, or is just showing off".[18] Moreover, in the Book of Abraham, Smith refers to "fixed planets or stars",[19] implying that some planets may be "fixed". He also refers to the sun as a "governing planet",although the Sun, when asked, refered to Smith as a "crack pot"[20] further complicating the terminology. Therefore, there is no consensus on whether Joseph Smith knew Kolob to be a planet or a star as those terms are used in modern astronomy.

Writers in the Latter Day Saint movement have taken positions on both sides of the issue of whether Kolob is a star or a planet. Brigham Young, second President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, spoke of Kolob as a planet.[21] Likewise, LDS Apostles John Taylor,[22] Orson Pratt (a mathematician with an interest in astronomy,and also in the secret language of cats),[23] Orson F. Whitney,[24] and Alvin R. Dyer[25] referred to Kolob as a planet. Other Mormon theologians have also viewed Kolob as a planet.[26] Several other Mormon writers have referred to Kolob as a star, including B. H. Roberts[27] and President David O. McKay[28]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: June 19, 2011 02:04PM

Somebody is watching closely - either us or wiki.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2011 02:05PM by Heresy.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 19, 2011 02:12PM

Apparently TSCC monitors RfM postings. *LOL*

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: February 08, 2016 08:23PM

The Morg is always watching. Wikipedia gives them a lot of leeway in sanitizing Mormon-related articles.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: June 19, 2011 06:53PM

Joseph Smith wasn't hanged for stealing a horse. That's slanderous. He died in a gunfight.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 11:18PM

Yes, and that stolen horse pulled the stolen hearse back to Nauvoo, itself a stolen town.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 04:46PM

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 08, 2016 08:27PM

Yep, died in a gunfight for stealing women and burning the evidence. Now granted, some of those women may have looked like horses, but that's beside the point.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 08, 2016 09:08PM

Unless he was shot by a horse?

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: February 08, 2016 10:44PM

Don Bagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joseph Smith wasn't hanged for stealing a horse.
> That's slanderous. He died in a gunfight.

You forgot, "...shot for philandering with other men's wives."

Posted by: exRLDS4Jesus ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 02:51PM

And let us not forget that in the course of that gunfight, joseph Smith KILLED 2 men, and wounded a third. Clearly not the conduct of a prophet of the true God. But apparently joseoh's god was well pleased with his sacrifice ;)

Posted by: me ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 03:06PM

Somebody also already edited the other giggles. That was a kolob sabotage.

Posted by: Oh dear ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 05:02PM

No, no, no, no ,no....the truth is that a thief once saw Smith naked and said he was hung like a horse.

Posted by: heftmyplates ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 05:16PM

thanks for the clarification, I always figured he must have been a stud to satisfy 31 wives.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 07:12PM

but... Was It ONLY one at a time?

Posted by: rowan ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 09:49AM

Whoever said that Joseph Smith satisfied all those women? Did any of the women make comments of Smith being good in bed?

There is a lot of difference in having sex with a man, and that man being a good or even satisfactory sexual partner.

I have often pondered why a grown man would want a child? It has to be because "something" is not normal, either in the head or in the crotch--or maybe both.

Smith, Young, the teachings of the LDS Church...all are so anti-female that it makes me wonder how any "thinking" "feeling" woman can want to live its doctrine(s), much less raise their daughters in such a hateful organization.

Are they brainwashed or just braindead?

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 12:04PM

Rowan, you're my hero :-P I'll always remember when I realized my own mother was either brain dead or bash*t crazy: I was twelve years old, as she was tucking my sister and I in for bed one night, the subject of polygamy came up. I don't know why. But that was the first I'd heard of it, and by the looks of the threads here, that's not the case with others, learning of it so young. She actually looked at me stone cold when I asked, "you mean I'll have to share my husband in heaven?" And she said, "only if you're righteous enough. But you can choose not to, you just won't get to the highest level in the Celestial Kingdom." Fast forward twenty years. I now look back on that conversation as mental abuse.

Oh, and Joe Smith stole broads, not broods. ;-)

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 07:23PM

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 04:33PM

Let's check the historical record:

"Shortly after this Joseph's wife passed thourgh the room with
her bonnet and riding dress; and in a few minutes they [Joseph
and Emma] left together, taking Mr. [Joseph] Knight's horse and
waggon. . . in a few minutes Mr. Knight came in quite disturbed.
"'Why, Mr. Smith,' exclaimed he, 'my horse is gone, and I
can't find him on the premises, and I wish to start home in half
an hour.' . . . soon he [Joseph Knight] made another discovery,
His waggon also was gone. He then concluded that a rogue had
stolen both of them."
--From Lucy Mack Smith "Biographical Sketches of Joseph Smith
the Prophet, and his Progenitors for many Generations"
(Liverpool: S. W. Richards, 1853; pp 99-100)

Posted by: mr. mike ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 05:01PM

Ha!

Posted by: srlowther ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 08:56PM

I remember as a TBM, I became irritated by a critic who claimed Joseph Smith was lynched.

In fact, he was:
http://onelook.com/?w=lynched&ls=a

lynch -- kill without legal sanction

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 08, 2016 04:05PM

With the way he blathered on while cheating people, he may have been a hoarse thief.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 08, 2016 04:35PM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With the way he blathered on while cheating
> people, he may have been a hoarse thief.

:D :D :D

Posted by: Tassy ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 12:19AM

There was a Joseph Smith who was sentenced to death in 1821 Oxfordshire, England as a horse-thief. His sentence was commuted to transportation -Van Diemens Land.(now known as Tasmania)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.