Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 12:46PM

Not sure if this has made the news in the US, but in the UK there is a right to be forgotten, to have data about you deleted once you no longer have dealings with an organisation - for example you can leave Facebook and have a right to have all record of you deleted.

I'd be interested to see how this works with TSCC since like leaving Facebook, it is simply a group and once you make the decision to leave and are clear you are done with it, what right do they have beyond Facebook to retain data about you, such as your DOB, Name, Address, former status?

With this being the case, it is reasonable to assume that TSCC is going to face this at some point and since it is UK registered, it may well be forced to comply globally.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/data-protection-reform/overview-of-the-gdpr/individuals-rights/the-right-to-erasure/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 12:56PM

Yes, it's made news here.
I don't think TSCC has even thought about it, of course.

At the present time, I can't imagine the UK law being enforceable in the US in any way -- such that TSCC can keep records of UK members in Salt Lake forever and not have to worry about it. They might (and it's a big might) have to insure that nobody in the UK can get access to UK members who leave and ask to be "forgotten," but they wouldn't be under any obligation to delete anything in SLC.

Personally, I'm undecided about the UK law. On the one hand, I understand the basis for it. On the other, if stuff you do is publicly available at any time, I think it's just fine to let it remain publicly available. Not sure how this will play out in courts, in countries and internationally...

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 01:51PM

I think it is interesting and would make an interesting case.

Because TSCC is registered in the UK and 'available' in the UK as well as in receipt of tax free status here, it might then be subject to audit.

Further, could you imagine the impact of a breach. They hold the data in a super secret vault in SLC, but do what with it?

If an SP in the UK applies for information and they tell him anything and he leaks it (Secret exmo) then TSCC is caught red handed breaking the UK law and it becomes clear they've flouted this legislation.

If Facebook has to abide by it, then so would TSCC to be 'available' here.

At least it means the data would be beyond reach for use - no record you ever joined the church or were exed or anything else could ever be released or admitted to by TSCC.

You could simply say i never joined and they'd be stuck to disprove it without accessing records they supposedly don't hold.

Just a thought.

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 03:24PM

ificouldhietokolob says "such that TSCC can keep records of UK members in Salt Lake forever and not have to worry about it".

This is actually against UK Data Protection law, which is quite old. Any data held on UK people can only be shared outside of UK (e.g. USA) has to be in a controlled environment.

Of course if... is correct in that the church is willing to ignore UK law. They are therefore guilty of criminal offences under Data Protection law.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 03:48PM

Tom Phillips Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Of course if... is correct in that the church is
> willing to ignore UK law. They are therefore
> guilty of criminal offences under Data Protection
> law.

I'm sure they're guilty of lots of things :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.