Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: heygirl ( )
Date: August 26, 2017 12:45PM

my RM friend teetering on the edge of questioning the church is supposed to leave to BYUI soon. He hasn't completed any college classes yet (went straight from high school to his mission) so I suspect it might be easier to get out of it now then it will be to transfer credits later. What are some things I can tell him that will make him consider going someplace else?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 26, 2017 12:52PM

If nothing else, the winter months in Rexburg, which last 5 months at least.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: August 26, 2017 01:20PM

Well, I was annoyed that some of my religion credits at Ricks were not transferable to BYU Provo. Religion, LDS studies. C'mon!

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: August 26, 2017 01:21PM

#1. It's named after a child rapist no better than Warren Jeffs
#2. It's named after a man who ruined his follower's lives by stealing their wives to add to his harem of heavenly whores.
#3. It's a meat market for Mormons who're too socially awkward to meet a partner in the real world.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: August 26, 2017 01:21PM

When my son was considering BYUI I told him that normally when one leaves home to go to college they choose a place that is LESS strict than living at home. Midnight curfews...for adults?? Are you shitting me??

He went anyways. At least he found a great gal to marry.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: August 26, 2017 01:33PM

I went to BYU, Provo, so I'm not sure if it is virtually the same, however, certainly Provo was less cold than Idaho! Plus the TBM dating was good (I presume), at either place. So, if your going to find a mate, either place would do.

I resented having to take a religious class every quarter/semester, which not only took up good credit time, but cost me money (for the class, and a book). Again, same for Idaho, I presume.

Also, going to church was a virtual commandment. We all were given an assignment there. Mine was to put out the song books, and collect them back at the end of Sunday School, and, arrange for a 'fireside' speaker for Sunday evenings. (The first one I arranged was a no-show, as he forgot.)

Firesides were also a virtual commandment, as was going to a weekly lecture from one of the VIP church leaders. And, saying 'hello' to everyone you passed wherever you went on campus.

And obedience to the dress code (skirts for girls--even in the snow--and (again) Idaho is colder than Provo.

But, the dating was good (at least for me), and regular weekend
dances.

Something that worked out OK (to my amazement), was that I was able to use my religious class credits in my hometown Jr. College classes (so, 'they weren't in-vain for nothing' as the actress said in the famous movie 'Singing in the Rain', with Debbie Reynolds and Gene Kelly, who sang in the rain).
---
So--for what reason are you considering BYUI? And, oh yes, generally speaking (except maybe for hometown Jr. colleges or Universities ), BYUI and Provo BYU, generally cost less (and that's a biggie).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.