Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Omergod ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 05:40PM

Used to be nice, now it's something else.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: B ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 07:03PM

Not nice?

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 08:53PM

Every stake conference Sunday a bunch of us teenage kids walked over to Snelgrove's on 21st South for ice cream. It was a popular place to go on a date.

Last time I was in SLC a few years ago the only Snelgrove's we could find was a sort of drive up stand and it was closed.

Snelgrove's was always open on Sundays--at least in those days.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 09:03PM

It was the perfect after movie treat for my molly and me after sitting through Midnight Cowboy.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 10:11PM

A half hour at Snelgroves...

Alas they are no more; even the last drive-in on 4th South is kaput; I don't know if their brand is still available in grocery stores, but the plant in Sugarhouse handles Dreyer's these days...

Fernwood's still has a few outlets for their mint squares, sea foam, and chocolates...

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 04:19PM

Nu-Crisp. that was the name of the candy store.

Here is a link that says all about it.

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=2323646&itype=CMSID&page=2

I am glad there are people out there who care about the Historic Sugarhouse.

I think there was a prison once in sugar house too, where Sam Taylor's father (one of the 12, son of John Taylor) spent some time in prison for practicing polygamy, before he got ex-d.

There must have been a sugar factory there too at some time, otherwise why call it SugarHouse. Sam Taylor's grandfather had a big hand in bringing the Sugar Industry to Utah, which was a Good Thing because without sugar there would be no Snelgrove's Ice Cream and no Nu-Crisp Caramel Corn. Something about he converted some French folks who knew how to get Sugar from beets as opposed to cane.

I sure do miss the old Sugarhouse.

Lois

Posted by: sd allison ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 10:45PM

Dreyer's bought them. I believe they stopped manufacturing the Snelgrove brand years ago.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 10:52PM

At Stake and Ward dinners, in the Granite Stake, Snelgroves would always provide the ice cream, in those cute little half-cup containers with wooden spoons. Oh, my how I thought those wooden spoons were so nifty.

The store was always spotlessly clean. They sold knick-knacks and candy there also. But Snelgrove was really really about the ice cream.

We went there for Sundaes. You could count on waiting a half an hour between the time you ordered and the the time you got your ice cream. It was worth the wait. Snelgroves knew that a hot fudge sundae was a VERY BIG DEAL. Eating a hot fudge sundaes at Snelgroves was the Mormon equivalent of drinking an elegant cocktail in a real swell nightclub.

ONE OF THE FLAVORS YOU COULD GET FOR THE SUNDAE SYRUP WAS RUM!!! I didn't know if that was okay or not but it must be okay because this was Snelgroves. I mean it wasn't like it was RUM rum, it was just rum flavored syrup. But still -- I always ordered a hot rum sundae because that seemed so sophisticated, and it must be okay because this was Snelgroves.

I don't remember them being open on Sunday. That doesn't sound like the Snelgrove's I remember.

What I DO remember is that huge double ice cream cone in the front, twirling slowly round and round, and they would paint the ice cream a different color from time to time, so chocolate would turn to strawberry.

Was there ever an ice cream parlour that made going out for ice cream seem like such a swell elegant experience???? I think not.

Fendall's, on the otherhand, over on seventh east had the ambience of a prison cafeteria. Not a swell place at all.

I am proud to live in a town where they take ice cream ALMOST as seriously as they did in the SLC I grew up in.

Oh, my, such memories.

There was a WEIRD little candy and popcorn store not far from Snelgroves, where you could get those miniature soda pops in wax containers.

You could get a lot of other candy there you never saw anywhere else.

It was a strange little candy store. There was something a little off or maybe even creepy about it, like it was right out of the twilight zone.

Come to think of it, there were a LOT of strange little shops in that neighborhood.

Now the whole sugarhouse area looks -- I dunno -- like it had its soul sucked out of it by some giant alien.

Lois

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 11:11PM

Because Snelgrove ice cream was a sentimental favorite in Utah, Dreyer's continued to make and distribute Snelgrove brand ice cream, using some of the original Snelgrove flavors like Canadian Vanilla and Burnt Almond Fudge. Snelgrove Ice Cream was sold in Utah, New Mexico, Idaho, Montana, and Colorado.[1] On February 19, 2008, Dreyer ice cream announced it would no longer make the Snelgrove brand.[2][3]

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 11:12PM

Here's the scoop (pun intended). Many years ago, Richard Snelgrove was rich (pun not intended). The Snelgrove family was the main source of funds to restore historic Nauvoo.

One day, Richard Snelgrove decided to run for US Congress. I don't know why. He had exactly zero related experience. IMO he thought he was destined for political success because he was rich and on first-name basis with the LDS leadership. Whatever the motivation, he spent his family's fortune on his political ambitions, even after it became clear to everybody else that nobody else in Utah shared his delusion.

And hence the fall of the House of Snelgrove.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 11:40PM

How about Golden Spoon?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 01:12AM

I've been to snelgroves in sugarhouse a few times. They were the only place I knew of that had those double scoop cones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snelgrove%27s_Ice_Cream#/media/File:Another_view.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2017 01:13AM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 03:30AM

In Duluth, MN, it was Blum's on East Superior st (the fashionable end of that city). Blum's fav was the La La Paloza

In Seattle, it was Farrells, with their 20's theme; wait staff with bright red vests, straw hats, etc. I forget what their Huge serving was called; it seemed like lots of LDS staff & customers were associated, Maybe it was a creation of the 'beloved' Bean family...

In Ohio, it seemed like one (maybe two) ice cream stands on every corner; RNs would save up, start a stand, make more $, & quit working the minute their pension became vested...

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 09:17AM

We had a Farrells in Eugene. They're big thing was called a Zoo, IICR. They put every scoop of ice cream they had into a huge steel bowl and ran it around the store on a stretcher while playing ambulance sirens, until it arrived at your table, marking you as the big man who dared to order the Zoo. It also contained a bunch of plastic animal figurines mixed in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2017 09:18AM by Devoted Exmo.

Posted by: kizzie ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 01:36PM

I was baptised in 1976 by an Elder called Mark Snelgrove Layton,he told me his grandfather owned an ice-cream company,his mission was in the England Mission and I was baptised in the Billingham Ward,County Durham

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 08:22PM

The Brigham sugar factory was a bust but the name sorta stuck.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.