Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Al Gore ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 07:02AM

Will there be a chimney that emits white smoke like the vatican once a a new choice is picked?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 08:00AM

Russell M. Nelson is the Senior Apostle, so he gets the helm next.

Posted by: slammingsam ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 01:06AM

At 93, I'll bet Russell Nelson is looking forward to that !!

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 09:54AM

Gawd has already picked Nelson, unless he manages to die before Monson. Then it would be Oaks.

It's all strictly by seniority. In other words, it involves the same amount of inspiration (i.e. none) as everything else in the LDS church.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 08:03AM

Talk about a grim future; Nelson or Oaks. Yikes.

Posted by: esias ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 09:58AM

No, but there will be a horizontal stack of twelve apostles emitting the fumes of formaldehyde and waving white handkerchiefs shortly after a new choice is pecked.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 10:12AM

As a heathen speaks:

If I could find a magic lamp and rub it the right way, I would wish for Boyd the Packer to come back and take the helm. He would surely give the world some fodder to ponder. But, that ain't gonna happen so next I would like to see Jeffery the Jowels Holland take over. With Jeff in charge, you would see some serious fist pounding doctrine come forth. He would spray the first three rows of devotees with spittle as he roared out his authority, he might even blow a vein or two. With Eyring taking over, you will see a lot of crying and as the TBM crowd tries to mimicked him, Kleenex sales will soar.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 10:13AM

Unlike the College of Cardinals which (politics notwithstanding) actually has to pick someone to be Pope, the Mormon way to pick a successor is strictly by seniority. Nelson was ordained next after Monson, and Oaks next after Nelson. So there you have it.

Critics point out the seeming lack of inspiration in such a cold process, but the faithful argue that God chose them all in that order anyway. (Nobody really knows why God chooses men who are likely to be slowly slipping through their own arseholes by the time they get there.)

There will not be any white smoke, but there will be lots of gas in the room when it happens.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 12:41PM

According to the articles of incorporation of CCOPLDS upon the death of the current president/CEO the senior apostle automatically becomes the president and sole owner of the whole shebang!

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 12:48PM

Not that I've paid much attention to him, but Russell Nelson seems to want that job pretty badly.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 09:36AM

Not as badly as his wife wants to be Mrs. Prophet.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: August 26, 2017 01:34AM

NormaRae Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not as badly as his wife wants to be Mrs. Prophet.

When Wendy becomes Mrs. Prophet, what will that make Sheri? Will she get a new title as well?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 10:49AM

Ms. Prophet Sister Wife

Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 01:19PM

IMO, Russell Nelson will be the next "Howard W Hunter", one general conference and then Oaks will become prophet

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 01:13AM

The poor old guy was tottering up some stairs after giving a talk at one of the conferences. It was painfully obvious that he was not doing well. His voice had been thin and painfully old.

Some complete @$$hole was doing a voice-over, and said something like, "Watch the Prophet's firm stride, and the fire in his gaze as he leaves the podium following his inspiring talk!"

I remember wondering, "Are you TRYING to make fun of him??" Then I remembered that Mormons are not really capable of much humor, and it seemed that much more pathetic.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 01:31AM

luckylucas Wrote:
> IMO, Russell Nelson will be the next "Howard W
> Hunter", one general conference and then Oaks will
> become prophet

I am friends with a certain super devoted TBM. His TBM brother was one of HH's personal nurses / medical attendants exclusively assigned to HH to give round the clock care to the aged MORmON CCO in HH's twilight /waning years days. He told me to my face about how HH was completely incoherent for months while then MORmON PRofit ETB was also dwindling away and that HH somehow "miraculously" regained coherency just in time to inherit and assume the role of LDS Inc PRofit/ CCO leader as ETB finally passed away. That was related to me as a faith promoting tale, with the intention of affirming faith and authority of how LDS inc is operated by Jesus. I see things in a much more conventional way ie HH just happened to regain some semblance of coherency right before he finally died. The fact that HH was also made LDS inc Chief Corporate Officer and Sole holder of LDS inc at the time is purely incidental and hardly the intentional workings of any deity that supposedly ultimately runs LDS inc.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 01:24PM

There will be a considerable amount of skullduggery!!!

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 04:37PM

I think Obama was president when Monson presidentially moved on. It is just not officially official.

Posted by: MoCurious ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 10:25PM

Curious if polygamy will once again take center-stage when Nelson takes over since he's sealed for eternity to two women.

We should make sure to send a friendly note to a major news outlet the moment Mr. Monson passes!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 10:37PM

No one cares if You are sealed to dead women as long as you have one living at a time.

Hundreds of thousands of mormons are sealed to a living and a dead spouse.

Posted by: MoCurious ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 10:52PM

I'm going to anecdotally claim that 95% of Americans have no idea that the mainstream LDS church practices spiritual polygamy.

It wasn't ever mentioned in the musical, South Park, Big Love, Sister Wives, Under the Banner of Heaven, or any of the other sources that serve as the basis of the vast majority of Americans' understanding of Mormonism.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 12:12AM

Doggone it!

I forgot to issue a prayer request at the temple today for Jeff Holland to become profit, seer and revelatory AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! Aren't all of you anxious for that to happen?

Sadly, Doc Nelson is looking more and more like he'll become the first ever 100-year-old profit.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 12:15AM

The bad ass will be chosen, god is going to throw a curveball at everybody including myself. i could dissolve a religion in record time i gaurantee that so if thats gods will i cant argue with it.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 12:53AM

Who will be the prophet now that Jerry Lewis is dead?

Posted by: pettigrew ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 05:32AM

The provision has already been made in the Corporation Soles' articles of association - whoever is the longest serving Apostle gets the job.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 07:55AM

One additional thought: What happens if they all die at once or within days of each other? Does it go to the highest Seventy?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 07:06PM

The presidency of the seventy form a quorum equal to the 12. It would be the president of the seventy followed by each of the remaining 6 presidents.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 09:56AM

Al Gore Wrote:
> Will there be a chimney that emits white smoke
> like the vatican once a a new choice is picked?

The bible says Yahweh loves the smell of burning animal flesh. Not white smoke from paper/chemicals.

"Then take them from their hands and burn them on the altar along with the burnt offering for a pleasing aroma to the LORD, an offering made to the LORD by fire." (Exodus 29)

So to satisfy Yahweh, I'd suggest that they burn an apostle or two...except they're so vile that there's no way that would be a "pleasing aroma," even to the bloodthirsty Yahweh.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: August 25, 2017 03:12AM

They should change it up. Give it to a man in his 30's.

Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: August 25, 2017 06:14AM

The youngest presidents of TSCC were JS and BY, so think about it, the younger didn't (and doesn't) mean the better

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2017 06:27AM by luckylucas.

Posted by: 25in25out ( )
Date: August 25, 2017 08:07AM

The Catholic way just seems more true. The vote the smoke feels right. Flip side if a 40 year old got in there what a long haul that could be.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 08:22PM

with the black or white smoke, and the traditional cry of "Habemus papam!" strikes me as much more dramatic.

I'm not Catholic, never have been, and don't plan to be, but I think that their sense of ceremony - and the knowledge that some of these ceremonies are centuries old, makes me regard a number of their traditions with a certain amount of appreciation.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: August 25, 2017 07:45PM

The next fart (oldest), about to die, is next.

Posted by: authorandproprietor ( )
Date: August 26, 2017 12:52AM

Based on current ages and ordination dates, the going prediction is that Nelson may serve for a short time and then Oaks will likely be Prophet for several years.

Later on after we burn through a few more of the really old Q15, it is *very* likely that Bednar who was ordained very young will also be Prophet for several years. That should be fun to watch from the outside, but I pity anyone who is still TBM the day that Bednar takes the reins.

But who knows, maybe he'll actually do some good by driving out or waking up many of the more moderate members...

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 07:29PM

Hey, I'm not busy that weekend.

I'll do it!

I also have the required Middle Initial.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 12:03PM

A wrankled dude just shy of his death day.

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.