Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 12:53PM

I take medication for it and it doesnt seem to work that well. I see a nueroligist soon here but am not sure what to say to him. Ive had surgeries in the hope that they were connected with the nerve pain but it doesnt seem to be the case. I know that there are procedures that can be done but some of them look kind of brutal. Does anybody here have nerve pain? I am curious what you do for it, i just take lyrica and a nerve supplement with b vitamans in it, just want to make a bigger dent against this monster to live a better life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LetGo ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 01:15PM

https://youtu.be/vTn6gzyZZtI
Headphones required.. I used one for a toothache recently.. gone in ten minutes

Date: August 31, 2017 01:51PM

Wow im going to try that for sure when i get home i have some headphones.

Date: August 31, 2017 03:54PM

Listened to it a couple times and it kind of worked. Have you listened to it? And if so did it work for you? Oh nevermind didnt read your full post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2017 03:56PM by badassadam.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 04:44PM

so badly that I would want to throw the player across the room. Pain does that to me.

Several years ago, I slipped and fell on some black ice one winter. My low back ached for a few days, and then I forgot all about it.

The pain came raging back some months ago, with incapacitating pain across my low back and down one leg. I can't walk far, or be on my feet for long. I have a handicap-parking placard, which is a blessing. I can manage brief errands, like driving to the pharmacy or grocery store, picking up one or two items, and going home again to rest.

If I overdo it and trigger the pain, the pain is so bad that I have to use opiate painkiller. I am VERY careful to log in the date, time, and dosage. (That's to avoid memory lapses and accidental OD.)

I have found that topical Tiger Balm helps, too. This amazes me, as I have never had faith in topical pain relief before. I had even tried a topical form of marijuana, for which I had a legal card. It worked, but not as well as Tiger Balm. Since nothing offered in the legal head shop proved to be as effective as remedies offered elsewhere, I have let my card lapse.

My daughter insists that if I really put my mind to smoking the stuff, I would forget about the pain, but I would rather play opiate roulette. Smoked weed tastes TERRIBLE.

Heat is the other element in symptom relief. We have a hot tub, which helps, and I have an electric mattress pad, which I have set on "stir-fry" for as long as I can tolerate it.

Being incapacitated REALLY sucks. Hope you find something - or a combination of somethings - that does the trick for you.

Date: August 31, 2017 05:08PM

It does suck and i dont think i could go the weed route either. Im going to try that vitamin c thing i think.

Posted by: primarypianist ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 06:30PM

I know you don't want to go the cannabis route, but I must say, it is awesome! I don't have nerve pain, but I do have horrible headaches and back pain, and it gets rid of the pain. I also have shaky hands and it gets rid of the shakiness too. It almost makes you feel numb. I absolutely love it!
My mom, on the other hand, has nerve pain and she uses Gabapentin. I guess that's a very common medication used for nerve pain.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 10:41PM

Weed has a 'narcotic like effect' on people. Thus the numbing effect. You can definately tell when the pain subsides.....

Gabapentin works for some nerve pain, not all...
does nothing for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2017 10:47PM by cutekitty.

Date: September 01, 2017 07:12PM

I dont think i want to numb out ive done that in the past dont want to do it again.

Date: August 31, 2017 05:39PM

It really sucks to listen when the pain is close to your ears.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 01:16PM

Wish I could help.

I've broken my left ankle 3 times, and sprained it at least a dozen times. Now, at 57, it just hurts all the time -- nerve pain (and bone spurs) the doc says. Surgery probably won't help, though at some point they want to clean up the bone spurs.

Aleve and such dull the pain a little. Sometimes.
The spray Lidocaine stuff (what they spray on football players when they hurt something during a game) works quite well, but it only lasts 2-4 hours (long enough for me to play golf!). So basically it just hurts all the time. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.

I've learned to live with it. It keeps me from sleeping sometimes, and when it does I hit it with the Lidocaine. The rest of the time, I just try to ignore it :)

Good luck with yours.

Date: August 31, 2017 01:49PM

Yea my primary doc says its best to just to deal with it he sees the aftermath of major surgeries.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 06:07PM

Hie, your poor ankle!

Mine is likewise reconstructed, along with my tib/fib. There is a whole lot of metal down there, and there are days when my ankle talks to me, some days more than others. I am going to have to give the spray Lidocaine a try.

I want to take up golf when I retire, if not sooner. However I always wanted to return to downhill skiing, and at this point I think it's unwise (at least without having a whole lot of conditioning beforehand, and even then it's probably not happening.) I'm finished with skating, unfortunately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2017 06:11PM by summer.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 01:22PM

Stay way from people who are dishonest or who believe crazy things. Get well soon.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 01:36PM

Honest TBM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stay way from people who are dishonest or who
> believe crazy things. Get well soon.

in other words, TBMs :)

Date: August 31, 2017 01:48PM

Haha that may be a part of it for sure.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 02:01PM

I almost wrote LOL out in full writing but realized that would be a grevious sin that would get me in a lot of fetching gosh darn bullpoop so I write LOM for "laughing out moderately" as I think that laughter is a very good medicine, just as the Readers Digest suggests, but not if the laughter is too high in decibels because then it would be a grevious covenant-breaking sin.

Date: August 31, 2017 02:24PM

Good lord oh how ive missed you honest TBM

Posted by: Just Wonderin ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 02:52PM

Excellent!

Posted by: Chica ( )

Maybe look into Vitamin D3.

Most people are deficient which can cause various health problems. I take massive doses of D3 for a neurological condition (MS) and it's helping. I don't experience nerve pain, but lots of other people with MS do have neuropathy and they swear by vitamin D3 & magnesium.

You can have your levels tested with a simple blood test. It's best if you're in the upper range of what is considered "normal". And if you supplement, make sure you take D3, not D2.

I hope you find some relief!

http://www.neuropathytreatmentgroup.com/why-vitamin-d-is-critical-for-nerve-pain/

Date: August 31, 2017 02:42PM

I do have D3 and magnesium in my supplements not sure if they are doing anything though.

Date: September 01, 2017 10:40AM

When you say massive amounts of D3 how much are you talking about?

Posted by: Chica ( )
Date: September 01, 2017 04:16PM

I'm taking 80,000 IU/daily. But I'm being supervised by a doctor who is trained in monitoring a specific protocol I'm following. We do regular blood tests and add other supplements as needed, as well as avoid a few specific foods.

An adult can safely take 10,000 IU/daily without medical supervision.

I give my 7-yr-old son 4,000/daily and he's very healthy. It has actually helped his overall mood and has improved his ability to focus at school.

Date: September 01, 2017 07:05PM

Woh thats a lot of viamin D i just been taking the recommended dose at 4000.

Posted by: LetGo ( )

Ok "Honest TBM".. I believe that was a shot at me. Just spent the last 7 days at a hospital with one of my kids. 14 hours a day. Toothache started a week before but had no time to see dentist. So much pain that Advil couldn't kill it. Spent days suffering. As a last resort I listened to a video on relieving tooth pain. It was gone in 10 minutes. That is my testimony.. you know testimonies. It worked for me.. don't call me dishonest. And if it worked is it crazy? Grateful for the relief how ever I got it.

Date: August 31, 2017 05:42PM

I listened to it twice and it might of helped a little bit but probably not as well as it worked for you.

Posted by: Ghost ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 02:37PM

If you have trigeminal neuralgia I know what works for me. Massive dosages of vitamin C at the first sign that it is coming on. 1000mg very 3 hours or so. By the next day when I wake up it is gone. (One theory for my condition is a viral trigger)

Date: August 31, 2017 02:45PM

I thought i had trigeminal nueralgia but i also have bad TMJ so its hard to tell. But i was told trigeminal neuralgia only affects one side of the face, is this true? Because i have pain on both sides of my face but it could be from my bad jaw joints its damn hard to tell. I also have occipital neuralgia does vitamin c work for that?

Date: August 31, 2017 03:23PM

They say only one side, but I have had it on both sides, but only one side at a time. This has been on and off for 30 years. It took a lot of experimenting and observation, but I noticed that many times (not all) it was triggered when I felt a slight tingling in the back of my nose/throat or else when I noticed a rough patch on the roof of my mouth.

That's when I started thinking it might have a viral trigger similar to cold sores. So I got a high quality vitamin C (Ester C with the orange embossed lid) at 1000mg. If you don't want to do 1000mg every 3 hours, do 2000 mg every 6 hours. Get a good nights sleep and see if it's gone. You may have to do this for 2 days because I recognize the initial sensations and jump on it right away before it starts shooting off. So it only takes one full day to ward it off.

Date: August 31, 2017 03:24PM

Does it shoot off like lightening?

Date: August 31, 2017 04:00PM

Yes it feels like lightening and electric shooting up to my temples and a little to the low jaw. And nothing works for this pain and i mean nothing.

Date: August 31, 2017 04:16PM

Does it involve your cheek area too?

Date: August 31, 2017 05:11PM

Yes

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 03:29PM

I also have trigeminal neuralgia from having shingles on both sides 2 years ago for a year. (Only one side at a time basically.) I'm going to try the vitamin C.

I am on gabapentin for nerve pain, but it seems that you've used that before, right? It doesn't take it all away, but when I don't take it, I KNOW IT. I forgot to take it for too many hours the other day and I paid a big price for it.

My doctor offered me Lyrica, too, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm going to stick with gabapentin until it doesn't do the job. Oh, I have diabetes and I have really bad nerve pain in one of my feet. The other one is bad, but nothing like my right foot. I use it for work as I do transcription and have used it for years for using the foot pedal. I learned to use my left foot for the pedal now.

Date: August 31, 2017 03:35PM

Yes try it! (I don't think Gabapentin does much directly to the cause, but it helps you not be as upset about the pain IMO.)

About Vitamin C: Your bowels might loosen a bit so you can cut back if you get too loose. On the other hand, if you can tolerate higher doses, and this amount doesn't do the trick, use more. (It's water soluble)

This has changed my life

Posted by: Anon 2 ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 03:50PM

If you go across the border you can get tubs of buffered vit c for alot less then us. I started with a tsp in morning etc. It is great. And youre right. You keep adding more until you get diarrhea. Thats when youve hit your limit.

Date: August 31, 2017 04:08PM

Going over the border like its some kind of drug thats awesome but im way up in idaho so i dont think i could pull that off unlessthey got it in canada. I used to live in arizona so definitely could have crossed the border back then a little easier.

Date: September 01, 2017 07:08PM

Ghost Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes try it! (I don't think Gabapentin does much
> directly to the cause, but it helps you not be as
> upset about the pain IMO.)
>
> About Vitamin C: Your bowels might loosen a bit so
> you can cut back if you get too loose. On the
> other hand, if you can tolerate higher doses, and
> this amount doesn't do the trick, use more. (It's
> water soluble)
>
> This has changed my life

How long should i try the vitamin C before i quit i have done 3 doses of 2000mg so far.

Date: August 31, 2017 04:04PM

I was on nuerontin which is gabapentin i think and it stopped working so i switched to lyrica and it worked for quite a while but now its not working that great anymore but if i dont take it i pay a huge price as well i will try that vitamin c thing it couldnt hurt.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 04:28PM

for a while, maybe give it another try. Go off the Lyrica for a while. Switch back and forth for months at a time. You never know. It might work again. I am on a really high dose of gabapentin.

Date: August 31, 2017 05:14PM

Does switching back and forth even work?

Date: August 31, 2017 04:59PM

back then, she called it "tic doloureux" (sorry if my French spelling is not correct.)

She was an RN and also a German by birth. She was a great believer in natural cures as well as medical ones, having been trained in both disciplines. She swore by high doses of vitamin C and a home-brewed rose hip tea made from her own rose garden. They were the most beautiful roses anywhere, as she had a superb green thumb. As I recall, she would also set aside some of the tea and let it steep into a pretty powerful concoction which she used as a compress on her cheek, too.

My mother, also an RN, who had all the natural warmth and compassion of a fire ant, amazed me by providing Grandma (her MIL) with some recycled tee shirt parts, now used as dust rags, which had been washed, to use for her poultices, so Grandma would not have to stain any of her own beautiful, lace-edged handkerchiefs with the poultice-tea.

But Grandma brought out the best in people. She was one of the most kind, loving people I have ever known.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 03:35PM

Like cl2 I was going to mention Gabapentin. I think it is pretty commonly prescribed for nerve pain.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 03:41PM

Gabapentin does help nerve pain a lot. Also CBD oil can help.

Date: August 31, 2017 05:06PM

with pain. I have only used it when I can't sleep. It knocks me out. I imagine that this would help with pain, too.

It tastes terrible, and I have to scour my entire mouth out with a vigorous tooth-brushing every time I take some, but if it would help with pain, I'm willing to try it.

I'm interested in hearing more about this, if possible.

Date: August 31, 2017 05:17PM

I dont think ive heard of CBD oil is that in normal stores like walmart?

Posted by: Anon2 ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 03:43PM

Theraputic massage by an actual therapist. There is also fentynal and opiates. Orthopedics with insoles. If you go for the surgeries, make sure you have an excellent surgeon. They will do 1 bit at a time. And then when all is said and done you can try out the inserted tens pulse and then stem cells. Just try everything first and give yourself time to heal. Oh and have them do a full MRI. Backs are tricky. You think youre messed up in one place but youre messed up in more.
Lyrica you can go up to a certain amount. But yes stick with the gabapentin until it doesnt work anymore. A months worth of lyrica costs 2k and the insurance companies scream if you dont have it on the books as failing.
Opiates make your teeth fall out but if you need them, take them. You just have to stop drinking.
Thats it. Try everything. If self hypnosis does it, thats great. You already know something is wrong and the back pain isnt necessary unless youre going out pulling weeds, trampolining, bull riding

Date: August 31, 2017 05:19PM

Tried the hypnosis thing and it didnt work really.

Posted by: paintingnotloggedon ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 06:22PM

it has to be more than tonsil surgery you mentioned last week. are you struggling with orthopedic injury recovery trying to get mobility seeing physical therapist or what? are you able to walk or are you fighting to regain mobility? what happened?

this is a far cry from playing pool and talking to the institute director upstairs when you were tired of walking in the rain. What in the world went wrong were you hit by a car? what kind of car were you driving? a colleague I interviewed to hire was trying to save money drove a subsub compact on the highway as fast as it would go and sonebody hit him or hed run a stop sign (he never admitted it) anyways his back has never been the same , he might have hit a truck, but he says yeah Im lucky to be alive. what happened

Date: August 31, 2017 08:47PM

I was in a car accident in 2005 which started the whole chain of events i feel with my neck and low back. I did have my tonsils out 2 and a 1/2 weeks ago but that had nothing to do with any accident they were just really inflamed. Some injuries i got in a paintballing accident my leg went backwards when i was running and stepped in a pothole. And some injuries are just from working my ass off doing hard labor. Im not sure if im still feeling after effects of the tonsil surgery but maybe?

Posted by: CookieCat ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 04:44PM

Hey there, long time lurker, first time poster. I had to come out of hiding to address this. I had debilitating nerve pain and what helped was 500mg of acetyl L carnitine. I took it 3xs a day. It took about a week for it to start feeling better. Please give that a try.

Date: August 31, 2017 05:22PM

I think acetyl L Carnitine is in my nerve supplement but ill have to check when i get home not sure what the amount is in it though. The label doesnt tell the dosage amounts.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 06:33PM

I use 5% Lidocaine patches on my nerve pain. Slap on a patch where ever it hurts and in about 30 min. all is numb. Get them from your doc as a prescription.

The OTC patches are 4% lidocaine. They work as well. The cream in a bottle works also.

Wonderful. You can leave on a patch for 12 hours on - 12 off.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 10:27PM

I have severe nerve damage to my left leg, from a traumatic car accident 20 years ago. I've been over the whole gamut of medications, currently on duloxetine 90mg a day (which needed approval from the HMO of course). It probably will be a case of having to learn how to deal with it from day to day. Definitely see the neurologist, and tell him/her exactly what's going on. Some days, usually damp weather, I have to supplement with some Tylenol extra strength. If I can stay home, I take Valium on the really bad days. Obviously, you want to avoid opioids, but you may be sent to a pain management specialist--maybe you can get something topical if that would help you ( no joy for me, my pain goes through to the bone). Good Luck

Date: September 01, 2017 12:04AM

I start duloxetine tomorrow never been on it before ill see how it goes i dont have much confidence in anything right now but im going to try the vitamin c thing as well and see if that works. The lady seemed pretty confident that she could get me better than where i was at today in a few months so maybe i might get somewhere. Damp weather is the worst and i keep forgetting the effect it has on pain and it was a little rainy today so maybe thats why things got fired up i take tylonel as well it seems to help a little bit. Looks like we are kind of been down a similar road my car accident was twelve years ago and i have never been able to figure out how to stop the pain without meds. And also i do see a pain specialist he prescribes my lyrica. Does the duloxetine work for you?

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: September 01, 2017 10:18PM

It never masks it completely, but it gives me a baseline to work with. If I go without it for a few days, my leg starts having "conniptions" with more severity and frequency. Give the Dulox at least a week to work. I was on Lyrica before that, but the results were about the same as Dulox, and Lyrica can cause water weight gain. Get yourself a cane. I know you're mentally screaming that you don't want one, but the support and balance it gives will make all the inconvenience worth it. Make sure you get the right size, and learn the rhythm of walking with one. They're especially useful if you are forced to stand for any length of time. I have one that unfolds into a seat--very handy at outdoor venues without much seating. Also establishes that you are indeed handicapped, and therefore should be given a seat on public transportation, and avoid interminable lines.

Date: September 02, 2017 02:43AM

let me know how the cymbalta works for you. I will discuss it with my primary care provider ASAP.

Date: September 02, 2017 02:55AM

Ok ive only been on it one day but ill let you know. I feel like today things are way more calm then yesterday so it may be working i think it has a drousy effect i was knocked out at 5 pm and that never happens to me. i can think a little clearer thats for sure but im trying the vitamin c thing as well so maybe thats helping too, but ill let you know how it goes just remind me in a week if i forget.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 01, 2017 08:23AM

One word ...... marijuana.
It has helped a lot of severely handicapped people that I work with.
Fortunately, where I live we have a lot of marijuana shops so obtaining it is easy and legal. Plus,the world hasn't ended because of it, despite the lies republicans will tell you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2017 08:25AM by Dave the Atheist.

Date: September 01, 2017 10:02AM

Is it legal in idaho? If it is i would be amazed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.