Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 01, 2017 01:57PM

If you're going to hit a pushy TBM with facts, do what *they* try to do: "Always make them commit to their answer before showing them the truth."

Anyway, I "read it" on another ex-mo forum.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: September 01, 2017 06:57PM

I'm not sure what else the "other forum" advises, but you should also always make sure that you have a friendly source (preferably lds.org) to contradict the answer they've committed to.

Posted by: yeppers ( )
Date: September 01, 2017 10:05PM

^^^ That cant be stressed enough!

It feels wonderful to defeat their own teachings by using their own doctrine against them.

I held off 2 missionaries for hours using only LDS approved writings and scriptures.

They left frustrated with cracks in their testimonies.

You don't even have bring up or show the CES letter or any other anti-mormon information.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: September 02, 2017 07:47AM

I wholeheartedly agree - LDS.org is a great source to counter claims with. That's why there were rumours of the site being hacked by 'anti-mormons'; it was the only way some members could cope with the content of the new 'gospel topics'. I wonder how they feel when they check for an update and see that the information is still there, although with a bit more more polish to gaslight longtime tbms.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: September 01, 2017 11:42PM

True. The biggest weapon against the LDS is LDS itself.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 01, 2017 11:51PM

Yes, when you can get to them pre-agree (is that a word?) and then ker-snick them with own doctrine, they can only fall back on testimony.

They hate being hoisted on their own petard.....

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: September 02, 2017 07:51AM

in sales, that technique is called 'pre-empting objections' and experienced sales people use it to shut down excuses not to buy before they even close the sale by asking the customer to buy-in to the product, be it a car, double glazing, or a religious cult.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.