Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: paulk ( )
Date: September 02, 2017 03:24PM

You may have worked for, or heard of a company, that will match employee charitable contributions up to a certain point. I used to work for a company that did this.

Anyway, I heard of someone recently who was using this company policy to match on the tithing he was paying to the LDS Church.

All I could think of when I heard about this was "ugh". 100% sure the company's policy was not set up looking to match contributions to an organization sitting on billions of dollars of assets.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 02, 2017 06:43PM

The LDS church is not a charitable organization.

I don't believe the company's policy is to match people's tithes.

If he's been upfront about that, then it's hard to imagine that his company would match those donations. It's also taking away from more deserving organizations that are set up as charities and not-for-profits.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: September 02, 2017 09:50PM

If your company will match your tithing donations, you could get away with paying only a 5% tithe and still be temple worthy. After the company's matching, that's 10%. The church shouldn't care where you get the money as long as it is legal.

Posted by: Rameumptom ( )
Date: September 03, 2017 10:46AM

If your company is paying 5% of your tithing, doesn't that count as "increase"? Wouldn't a TBM have to pay 10% tithing on the match money? And if your company matched the tithing paid on the original match, well.....it's a never ending loop.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 03, 2017 10:56AM

Thats just messy its making my head hurt just thinking about it.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: September 03, 2017 12:19AM

Not really, but this reminds me of an episode years ago.

I was on active duty in the military, and perusing the Combined Federal Campaign catalog. I was delighted to see TSCC listed.

Well, as I recall, the following year charities had to provide financials to stay in CFC. TSCC was gone.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.