Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: September 03, 2017 10:59PM

There is an ex-mo attorney, Kay Burningham, who says she believes it will happen some day. She spoke about this for the ex-Mormon foundation a few years ago.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 03, 2017 11:10PM

Diplomatic immunity from clearly fraudulent activity is incumbent on having friends in high places. They are slowly (maybe not so slowly) losing those friends.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 03, 2017 11:14PM

When it happens let me know. They owe other people more money than they owe me though.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 04:55AM

150 years ago, great great grandmother found she'd overpaid her tithing by $5.00, which was significant at that time.

The bishop refused to refund her the money and said to deduct it from next years. She refused.

Being feisty and having been one if Joseph's wives and knowing Brigham, she walked from Bountiful to Salt Lake, marched into Brigham's office and demanded the $5.00.

He said to deduct it from next time. She said no. So Brigham handed her a $5.00 gold piece from his desk.

Date: September 04, 2017 01:03PM

That is one hell of a story im amazed she got her money back, mormons are the hardest people to get money from unless its what jesus said to the prophet.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 12:12PM

Due to the fact that tithing is legally a voluntary donation I seriously doubt that such litigation would be successful for the plaintiff.

Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 01:12PM

Agreed. One would have to prove that there was fraud involved. If they were able to prove fraud in regards to the LDS, that would be way more important to the grand scheme of things than one person getting their tithing back.

Posted by: Attorney ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 12:47PM

Good luck with that lawsuit. Notice that Kay Burningham went out right away and filed such a lawsuit herself. Hardly.

Best forget your voluntary donation and get on with living your life and earning the money back.

As for me, as a consequence of paying "tithing" to the Morg for 30 years and spending who knows how many hours in Bishopric and High Council meetings, I do not donate money or time to any person or any organization for any purpose. I've made all the "charitable contributions" that I'm going to make. Period.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 12:52PM

Unfortunately, the courts have not backed the idea. They consider tithes as freely given donations with no guarantees and no coercion involved.

Date: September 04, 2017 01:01PM

No coercion my ass they played people like a fiddle with that secret almighty temple ceremony but first you have to pay tithes to do it.

Posted by: khax ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 01:22PM

...because it's patently false to begin with?

When denied a choice from birth, LDS cannot call that "voluntary," while LDS is insisting that all LDS children must be "indoctrinated" and "inoculated," even publishing a very large effort, programs and instructions on how to accomplish a lack of choice.

Threats of losing one's family, separation from them, are terrifying concepts to children. These children know or have been told of people expelled from salvation, expelled from LDS, expelled from the family.

That's not "voluntary." Ask any unwilling mishie, or any forced frenemie-exmo. It's fear-based compulsory attendance and participation, at the risk of losing loved ones, jobs, communities.

I think BICs have a leg to stand on.

LDS wants it both ways - freedom of religion for itself to determine outcome, but no freedom of religion for its BIC members to determine outcome. For non-BICs, there's the whole milk-before-meat overt deceptions, for every penny counts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coercion

Coercion, beginning at birth, born to coerced, young parents. It's sick and preverted.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 12:58PM

Probably won't be in the US. Religion is too protected. Maybe Scandinavia.

Posted by: NLI ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 04:00PM

For a legal analysis see http://packham.n4m.org/lawsuit.htm

Posted by: 9HighLikeABoss ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 04:36PM

Answer: Never, because this is a silly exMormon fantasy.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 07:53PM

If they had not changed the for to say you acknowledge thexmoney can be used for any purpose, I could see fraud if you purposely donated money for a specific missionary and the cash was proven to be used for say new carpet in the ward house and the missionary never received the money.

But. Even 40 years ago when I accused a bishop of fraud in building a chapel (in those days they were locally funded in part through building assessmenst.) I stood before a stake presidency with bank statements, vouchers, purchase orders and receipts they wouldn't even look at them because a "person in that position does not commit fraud."

Without an acknowledgement of wrongdoing, you'll never see the cash.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 05, 2017 10:55AM

Never. At least not in the United States.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.