Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 06, 2017 05:49AM

Still can't get over this. I was completely demonized by the family for not doing the temple thing for so many freaking years i literally destroyed myself on purpose because of this thinking i would never get to heaven. Having a separate from everyone else mentality. Still cant get over this, im sure im not the only one that suffered over this for a big part of their lives.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 06, 2017 07:02AM

I never really wanted to go through the temple badly enough to take out my endowments.

After learning about the ridiculousness of the ceremonial rituals, I'm rather relieved to have avoided all that. Plus I always had a distaste for the ugly garments. They didn't look holy or sacred to me. They are the ugliest undergarments I've ever seen.

Look at it as one less thing you have to unravel in your debunking of Mormonism.

Date: September 06, 2017 07:06AM

Good call it just baffles me that my family was doing this the entire time as if it was some great thing.

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: September 06, 2017 07:51AM

@badassadam
The thing about Mormons is that they are hurt by their Church but they cant admit it so they pretend that everyone else is the problem.
Imagine being a young lady and having to go through that on your wedding day without any warning... You just wanted to get married and instead you got death threats (penalties of slitting your throat, ripping your heart out, or cutting your stomach open). It was supposed to be the happiest day of your life instead you leave confused and scared with no one you can talk to.
They cant admit the problems in their Church so they say the people who dont go along with it are the problem.

Date: September 06, 2017 08:00AM

I think you are absolutely right but they go at the people that dont go along with really hard. Is this because they hate themselves from what has happened? I did notice a huge difference in my sisters' behaviors after they went through the temple on their wedding day. To be honest i think they might have envied me for not have going through even though they acted otherwise. This has all been mindblowing because i was the designated scapegoat for the family i took all the bullshit, the judgements, and the beatings.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 06, 2017 08:59AM

Didn't the church do away with the threats of death in 1990? In its attempt to become more politically correct, and trying to appear legitimate in the eyes of Christian denominations.

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: September 06, 2017 10:00AM

Yes, the LDS Church removed the penalties in 1990 to appease the members of their Church who were turned off by it. It wasnt really public knowledge at the time so I dont think it was because of criticism from outside the LDS Church.

@badassadam, yes, they do go at people really hard because its a cult. That is what cults do. They abuse people. Its not your fault. They abuse members and non-members in different ways.

If you want to understand the Temple Endowment and its origin then you should read Mormonism's Temple of Doom - http://www.mazeministry.com/resources/books/doombook/doomtext/00contents.htm

Date: September 06, 2017 11:23AM

but wasnt there still a death oath after 1990 like an implied if you talk about the temple you will die?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 06, 2017 02:26PM

They also did away with the preacher. Too many took offense to their portrayal of other christian demominations.

Date: September 06, 2017 02:36PM

Preacher? This is new to me what preacher?

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: September 08, 2017 04:08PM

Yes, in the 'old' movie there is a preacher. He talks to Adam and Eve. Teaching them religion.

He then gets sent away by Peter James and John who go down to earth to see how mankind is doing...

After the changes made in 1990, that part got deleted from the movie..

Date: September 08, 2017 04:39PM

Woow

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 08, 2017 07:18AM

Please tell us what "politically correct" means.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: September 06, 2017 09:36AM

I just finished reading "Blood of the Prophets" and I was really shocked to read about how the murderers of the MMM did the planning and the details of how they carried out the slaughter of the Francher Party. But what was really a surprise was to find out what the killers did afterwards. When the massacre was done, the killers formed a prayer circle with their elbows resting on the shoulder of the person in front of them and their right arm to the square (just like the prayer circle in the temple). (They had previously been "endowed" in the temple) Then they made the death oaths and each one swore to never tell anyone what had happened. My husband and I went through the temple from 1983-1990 doing those same formations and threats as the murderers did! When you think about it, Mormonism is drenched in blood! From all the gory stories in the Book of Mormon to the behavior of the early leaders and some of the early members. No wonder it felt like not only a cult, but a mafia-like organization as well!

Date: September 06, 2017 11:19AM

Why do they become so crazed with killing back then is it because they feared their superiors or killing for god type a thing?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 06, 2017 05:35PM

I know. The thing you wait for all your life. The induction into the inner circle, becoming an ugly-undies-wearing future goddess, learning the secrets of life. And when it's over you are sitting in the celestial hotel foyer and thinking "WTF was THAT?"

Then it hits you--you're going to be wearing those undies, forking over your hard-earned money, and trying to force yourself to go back for the party over and over and over until your brain is numb and you can do it by rote without having to acknowledge how bizarre it all is.

I tried. I really tried. Went 5 times. Finally I realized there was something wrong with ME. I couldn't feel that spirit that everyone else was (claiming they were) feeling. The only one I could feel was evil and cultish. Could not do one more pantomiming my own violent demise session. From that point on, the TR was just to go to weddings. Well, that was until I realized it WASN'T me. There was no wizard behind it all, just a wrinkled old man behind the curtain telling you to pay no attention to him. The day I waved goodbye to the Emerald City, was one of the most spiritual days of my life.

Date: September 06, 2017 06:34PM

Haha the god damn wizard of oz, i told a mormon counselor that once and i dont think he liked that one bit but no more mormon counselors for me now thank god.

Date: September 07, 2017 08:28PM

You always bring me the good stuff smirkorama keep it coming.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 07, 2017 10:25PM

Like you, I was totally baffled after my first time in the temple. I staggered out, thinking basically "WTF??" And the topper was having my friends ask me, repeatedly, "Wasn't it GREAT?" "Wasn't it SPESHUL?" ad nauseam.

I hadn't taken the temple classes before attending the first time. I was basically ordered by the SP to take them before going back for my second (and final) session. The classes had NOTHING to do with the inner-sanctum weirdness.

Date: September 08, 2017 02:14AM

I know the classes didnt because i took those damn classes.

Date: September 08, 2017 02:19AM

If the endowment was showed to me when i was a kid i swear to god i would have gone to foster care or been an orphan cause no way in hell am i being around my parents and adults who participated in this knowingly, but a part of me did know something was up.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 07, 2017 10:47PM

and saw the blank stare on her face and I decided I'd go through for the endowment before I had my wedding. At least I didn't have that hideousness on my wedding day. Just call me Lucy. That was a real downer. Lucy.

But I had to be a good girl because I had to save my husband. it was MY JOB. I tried, too. I went 5 times, too. But the last time was the sealings to some guy who seemed to think this was something really special for him. He kept smiling at me. I tried to avoid looking at him. I still can't believe they didn't pull my husband aside to do sealings with me. I already had ENOUGH TO DEAL WITH. Didn't need this mind fuck.

My aunt tried to pull a fast one on me the day my daughter took her endowment out back on February 28th. Thanks to Summer for telling me her new name was Susanna. My aunt thinking I'm not worthy (and supposedly I'm not ha ha ha) told me to get dressed up as I'd feel better . . . and to sit on the sofa and prepare myself to have a spiritual experience while my daughter was in the temple. Like I was one of the undesirables. ME????? I told her what I thought of that and didn't talk to her for months.

They are all so full of shit. Been there, done that. NEVER EVER EVER want to do it again.

Date: September 08, 2017 02:22AM

Its funny you say that because i have seen that blank stare on the face of the bride before of family members coming out of the temple after their weddings.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.