Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 12, 2017 01:27PM

Hey to our Alberta posters. Hope all is well.

Among other places in Western Canada this terrible fire season, Alberta is being sorely affected. In fact, one of British Columbia's many fires has just extended into Alberta and mandatory evacuations are underway in some areas.

Cardston county is near one of the current evacuation zones. In some places, people are being told to be ready to leave with only one hour of notice. Some people have had no heads-up at all, just a knock on the door saying "get out now!" That has to be among your worst nightmares. I am very afraid of fire and the stories of people having to drive through flames to evacuate are hair-raising. (As occurred last year in B.C.).

Cardston was founded by Mormons in the 1800s. Apparently, the Cardston temple that they built is a well-known landmark. You cannot buy alcohol anywhere in Cardston. I live in an area in B.C. with a very diverse population. It's difficult to imagine a whole town still being run with only one outlook.

The Mormon I met at work whose family became friends, so I thought, who got me into the font (what was I thinking!) was born in Cardston, I believe he said.

I think it's a place I may never travel to on purpose.

Wildfires/Evacuations near Cardston:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3734253/waterton-evacuees-worry-wildfire-will-blow-through-town-wait-for-parks-canada-update/

About Cardston:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardston

Thinking of you, any fellow RfMers nearby!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 12, 2017 02:03PM

We are watching the fire reports very closely. We love Waterton Lakes National Park...been going there all our lives and have dear friends who own homes there. The latest reports are that the fire is in the townsite and the visitor centre was destroyed and the fire has also spread outside the park into the neighboring county and municipality.
Multiple mandatory evacuation orders are in effect right now. Rain is in the forecast. Hope it comes sooner than later. There are 700+ firefighters working that fire from fire departments all over southern Alberta including Calgary who have two ladder/pumpers stationed at the iconic Prince of Wales Hotel. We are all hoping this magnificent little jewel of a national park can be saved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 02:04PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Date: September 12, 2017 02:11PM

A big hello from BC, LR.

It actually hurts to see the devastation, all over, but national parks are indeed jewels. I have been to Banff and Calgary. Banff is glorious, as is the drive up through B.C. that we've done 1000s of times in my life.

What a tough season we've had in B.C. as well. Down here on the extreme coast I've been lucky but it's been painful to watch so much of the province burn all summer. (I don't remember a longer, hotter summer in my lifetime). Near where I live farms and stables are housing displaced animals from the Interior of the province and beyond, all victims of the massive raging never-ending fires. Many people ignored evac orders so they could stay and save their livestock and other animals. So brave. So desperate.

Much of the devastation is human-caused. Unbelievable how ignorant and careless some people can be.

We had rain in the past few days, the first in a couple of months. I've missed the rain that's been AWOL for so long - I know many people hate it but it's my preferred weather situation (compared to high heat/desert/snow). Here's hoping for more for all of you in the fiery zones.

Glad you're OK, Ron.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 02:12PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 12, 2017 02:29PM

This is a lightning caused fire and we're 70 miles NE of it. My buddy who ranches at Beazer, SW of Cardston is just outside the current mandatory evacution zone but is heading up there to get his horses out this afternoon just in case. The scars from this fire will be evident for decades. Waterton will never be the same for the rest of our lives. Sad.

Date: September 12, 2017 02:42PM

Yes, Ron, very sad when pristine areas are destroyed.

There's nothing to be done about the "natural" causes. Hopefully, we can educate the people who inadvertently start wildfires (cigarette butts and campfires being two of the major reasons it happens). Many of the B.C. fires this year are human-caused. We've even had grassfires in the city here as it's been so dry without rain for so many weeks. I've been nervous as there are so many treed areas near where I am. For the first time ever I have an emergency bag packed just in case. I guess that's a good practice anyway, in general.

Besides loving Banff National (so beautiful) we stress over even a potential for losing our "jewel", Stanley Park, in downtown Vancouver. There was a wicked storm there a few years back when many majestic and iconic trees were lost. Somehow a fire is much scarier. Many homeless folks live in the park now (deep forested areas), unfortunately, and there is an increased danger from fires they may use and lose control of. There are other causes too, such as the really ignorant lack of care when disposing of cigarette butts, as mentioned. And many others besides homeless people do crazy stupid things like that. Tossing them from a car window is a popular method of getting rid of them. I think the authorities have even banned smoking in the park this summer.

It's easy to take our surroundings for granted. B.C. to me has always been lush and gorgeous. Scary to think what all can be lost in a heartbeat. What a summer!

Take care, Ron, and family.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.