Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 10:33PM

they are not listed in the white or yellow pages.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 10:53PM

Find them for what?

What do you want to do with them?

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 02:01AM

Or to them?

Date: September 21, 2017 04:01PM

I checked out the SHJ. Very interesting ideas. I like the idea of 'intellectual integrity'. BUT, no congregation in my state.

Date: September 21, 2017 04:06PM

cutekitty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I checked out the SHJ. Very interesting ideas. I
> like the idea of 'intellectual integrity'. BUT,
> no congregation in my state.

I am sorry.

I hope you find the connections you are looking for in your area soon.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 10:59PM

Well, *here* for one place...:)

Universities, libraries, food banks, disaster relief groups...pretty much everywhere except churches.

Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 11:05PM

There is this thing called the internet. You can use a thing called a web browser to search lots of data that far exceeds the "phone book".

Here is an example of how it works:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Atheist+salt+lake+city

Sorry for being a bit of a smartass ;-)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 12:00AM

that was funny

Posted by: It rocked ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 05:38PM

I want one.

That was totally cool!

Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 10:34PM

It used to be called "Let Me Google That For You".

Go to:

http://lmgtfy.com/

enter the search. If you want to preview it, click preview, if you want the link, click on the link button.

It's great when someone constantly asks question best answered by a google search or, if like me, you want to be a smart ass.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 12:12AM

Are you looking for an organized group of free thinkers? What would be the vision and goals of such a group? Are you looking for a community of like minded people who are working together for some common purpose or vision? Did recognizing the lie and leaving the church leave a void? Sorry so many questions,Just curious.

Date: September 21, 2017 12:51AM

Felix Wrote:
> Are you looking for an organized group of free
> thinkers? What would be the vision and goals of
> such a group? Are you looking for a community of
> like minded people who are working together for
> some common purpose or vision? Did recognizing the
> lie and leaving the church leave a void? Sorry so
> many questions,Just curious.

This was what I was (not very well) attempting to ask.

The reason why I was asking is that, unlike any Christian groups I am aware of, there IS a Secular Humanist Judaism (SHJ) movement which is, by definition, atheistic/freethinking.

If you go to www.shj.org, and click on "Communities," you will be able to find whichever group is closest to you.

You are likely to find good activities, excellent conversation, and lots of interesting and intelligent people who will undoubtedly know of all other, similar but NON-Jewish, groups and people in your same area--and you will be welcomed whether you are (or identify as) Jewish or not.

SHJ can be, in other words, a solid connection to the general atheist and freethinking people in your area.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2017 12:51AM by Tevai.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 12:48AM

try www.exmormon.org Opie ~

Posted by: molightplz ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 01:27AM

I have met quite a few atheists and freethinkers through the Oasis network. http://www.peoplearemoreimportant.org/

Date: September 21, 2017 10:27PM

No group in my state.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 12:38PM

Thank you Tevai, I am going to contact the group in Seattle to see what they are about. I have often wished to find a group with similar desire and vision as my own. Those of us here on rfm are closer to the truth than we were as members but there is still so much to discover that we don't know. There are a lot of free-thinking and insightful people sharing their knowledge and truth here and that is why we come to these discussions. I envision a more cohesive group that is more focused and intent on seeking the truth and finding a way to objectively assess information and sort of canonize it if that is possible. What I mean by canonize is to come to collective agreement on what can be considered true. I am convinced that more truth can be discovered
by the group rather than relying on truth to flow down from on high through some arbiter of truth (prophets, etc.). How can a group collectively evaluate information and establish its truth or error?

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 01:54PM

There's an Atheist group on Facebook.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 02:08PM

Yeah, but those heathens don't disbelieve in the same ghawds I don't believe in.

Date: September 21, 2017 07:06PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Yeah, but those heathens don't disbelieve in the
> same ghawds I don't believe in.

Goddamn those heathens... how dare they.

Date: September 21, 2017 03:18PM

Thank you all for the info.

I am an empty shell inside with my guts ripped out. I have been divorced twice in my 20's and the pain inside now is nothing like wanting to die then...

I want to find other empty minded folks who can disregard any concept of a gawd and start from there. Can't get my pea brain around that idea totally since it was instilled at a young age.
Always prayed for everything, gave thanks for small things and all things and wasn't ashamed to yell out 'thank you, Jesus' when small miracles happened my way. Oh! well...

What do I want to do with these people when I find them? Pick their brains to see what makes them tick?

I don't have a facebook page, and I don't twitter, tweet, or twerk. My job at the high school told us employees our facebook had to be at their leisure to browse thru to seeing what students and the crew are into? I said BS and never got a facebook going. I just kept in contact thru school email. Makes me life less complicated. Can't stand to see folks with their nose stuck to their phones. And txting the person standing right next to you... weird? Humans are morphing into something I don't wanna be?

I want to see what TRUTH is out there in the atheist/freethinker groups. I wanna know what makes their candle glow? I will bet these people are into frequent masturbation? edgy?

Vision and goals in such groups will be of interest to me. I feel like a dam star trek movie where we landed on a planet and are trying to find our way. I have never felt so lost in my life as now, being an old person at that. I got lost in the mountains of northern CA, when I lived there, but always found my way home, even by starlight. I wasn't empty and void of respect of religion. I am totally wigged out now and not on drugs. It is TSCC eating my mind, and me wanting to fit in the universe again after getting dumped by TSCC.

I do that on my own each day already, welcoming the dawn sometimes, and being inwardly glad for sunsets and how beautiful they are.

\Thank you, Tevai for the SHJ info. I will check this out asap.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 10:02AM

You are busting out all over with personality. I love what you wrote there. Non Mormons, atheists, and freethinkers are gonna love you. You have a great self. I know cuz I have one too.

This song was written for you. It was my anthem when I first came out of the church and closet. Liza was singing it for the first time at that time. Had to sneak out of BYU to see the movie which I couldn't believe was actually playing in downtown Provo.

What good is sitting alone in your room?
Come hear the music play
Life is a cabaret, old chum
Come to the cabaret

Put down the knitting, the book and the broom
It's time for a holiday
So come to the cabaret

Come taste the wine
Come hear the band
Come blow that horn
Start celebrating right this way
Your table's waiting

What could permitting some prophet of doom
To wipe every smile away
So come to the cabaret
--------

I just went everywhere and did everything. I bombed with a lot of what I did, but in the end even the bad times seem good now because there was life in them.

Date: September 22, 2017 11:37AM

Thank you Done & Done. I don't feel like my personality comes across. Believe that?
I just need a hug from a friend... Alone is not fun.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 10:51AM

If you're looking for answers, you won't find them out there. That's because they're inside you. When all the lies have been blown away, the truth is in there.

What do you really want for the world? Be that. Whatever you want to give, you can give. Isn't life really about loving this ice planet stuck in darkness? That's the only way to make the darkness go away. Jesus wasn't the light, you are. We all are.

Date: September 22, 2017 11:31AM

I don't feel like the light. I am empty space between my ears now.
I want to know something is real...

These days all I know for sure is: my animals get hungry, chicken eggs need collected, my car starts so I can drive the old folks around, sun comes up and goes down again... that's about it.

I have no sense of inner peace anymore thanks to TSCC. It is a bunch of turmoil in my head not know what to think anymore.....

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 06:07PM

Facebook

Date: September 21, 2017 07:07PM

donbagley Wrote:
> Facebook

Hi Don.... I told her already. She's not having it. See you on Face book. ;)

Date: September 21, 2017 10:06PM

I don't know how!

Checked it out and do not want all my info out there for all to share.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2017 10:19PM by cutekitty.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 11:28PM

You could sign up as Q. T. Kitty; Many people get away with 'not their exact names'.

Date: September 22, 2017 09:59AM

I jumped thru their loops and hoops and decided if I can't be my screen name I am not interested. cutekitty is not allowed. So,, I x'ed off the page and it's gone. Has to be a name people call me everyday. Cutekitty is it and they said no.

A creep from ancestry.com has been stalking me, saying he is part of my family. I have reported him but he persists. Facebook would just add to the mix. He has contacted other family members via fb and I am not interested in his rants. We have a common name from Germany and he belongs to the other name not my gggpa's. He has my email thanks to ancestry. He convinced them he is my long lost relative.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2017 10:04AM by cutekitty.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 09:40AM

The Unitarian Universalist Church is full of Atheists, freethinkers and humanists. Its basically Buddhism for white people.

Date: September 22, 2017 11:11AM

I found a Sunday assembly here. They only meet on the 3rd Sunday of each month. It is a start. Maybe next month.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.