Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: June 23, 2012 03:23PM

Is is a problem for a mormon family to go to a public beach where some women might be walking around in bikinis?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 23, 2012 03:25PM

Not with any Mormons I know although there may be some who wouldn't go.

Posted by: Samantha Baker ( )
Date: June 23, 2012 03:26PM

But there are those who wouldn't go because of the swimsuits of others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2012 03:27PM by menomore.

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: June 23, 2012 06:01PM

but would we want them there?

j/k ... Prolly I would sit by them with my ghastly white skin and numerous tattoos offset by the grey hair. Try and start a converstion, I would.
Starting with, I am sooo confused sister, can you answer something for me?

:)

mental illness doesn't just run in my family, it strolls thru, getting to know each one of us up close and personal

Posted by: exmorphmon ( )
Date: June 23, 2012 06:16PM

Your more liberal CA mormon would have no problems. However when their UT cousins came to visit during Summer vacation, the complaining would begin.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 09:39AM

exmorphmon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Your more liberal CA mormon would have no
> problems. However when their UT cousins came to
> visit during Summer vacation, the complaining
> would begin.

I laughed my ass off when I read that, because I lived it. :)

We moved from Utah to SoCal when I was 6. For the next 15 years, the UT cousins (from one side or the other) would come every summer. And there was always one (usually several) trips to the beach.

And *every single time* one or more of my aunts/uncles would start going on about how the scantily-clad women were making the beaches unsuitable for families and children, and ask how we could live in such a sinful place, with all this good-as-nudity around us. Complain, complain, complain, the self-righteous Utahns would.

And then they'd come back again next year, and immediately insist on going to the beach.

So hilarious...and sad.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: June 23, 2012 06:38PM

Sorry, no insult intended to thingsithink, but mormons are accustomed to ordinary "worldiness" that occurs in public. Bikinis are ubiquitous in western culture and completely germaine to the beach.
All the years I was TBM, and to my TBM DW, the presence of bikini-wearers would not be a consideration about visiting the beach...which every TBM I ever knew has done MANY times.
We even had an elders' quorum social at the beach.
I think the question overestimates the prudishness of mormons. Yes, they suffer from a number of bogus taboos, but they are fluent in secular culture same as anyone else.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 23, 2012 07:04PM

+1. A few of the more radical might make some comments, but they go to beches and pools where there are bikinis all the time.There may be a few fanatics who would avoid it, but I have never met any. Even her in Utah, bikinis are very common even among Mormons.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 05:05PM

When I was a rebelious (apostatizing) teenager, I had to spend my summers with friends of my parents in UT and ID. Lots of trips to lakes and lots of swimming. One time the boys told me I couldn't swim in my usual speedos (heck, I'm European) because their mother was present! So they made my wear long oversized boardshorts.

Well ain't karma a biyatch? During one of the faster water activities behind the boat, I lost my shorts. I climbed on board, proudly strutted to the front and said "well good I brought these along!"

Posted by: truthseeker ( )
Date: June 23, 2012 06:50PM

This brings up another issue I've been thinking about. Isn't it so hypocritical that Mormons think they need their garments to protect them/be modest, but somehow it's OK to wear a swimsuit without garments? Also, why do Mormons think kids and people who haven't been to the temple are OK without garments, but those who have been to temple need garments? Makes no sense.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: June 23, 2012 06:57PM

Especially since we all know that Satan rules the waters. What are they thinking????

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: June 23, 2012 09:38PM

OK, for the 100th time...

I think it's a STUPIDLY trite myth that mormons think garments physically protect them or think they're in any way "magic".

Yes, there are isolated anecdotal testimonies and folklore about physical protection...but in the 18 years that I wore garments I NEVER thought of them as anything more than a covenanted obligation...a reminder of my temple obligations (OK, that's a whole 'nother discussion of their bogusness...and I DO think they're bogus...) But, common, someone's automatically a "hypocrite" fore taking off their garments to swim? Give me a fuckin' break.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 12:56AM

In the 60+ years of my life I knew numerous mormons that felt garments physically and spirituality protected them.

Some to the extent they would keep one leg in while bathing.

Some would have sex with them on.

No, not everyone feels this way. But enough over the years that us older folks are well versed in a now no longer taught doctrine.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 11:43AM

With that explanation, I would think that at the beach, where you are surrounded by scantily clad babes and hunks, there would be even a GREATER need to be reminded of covenants. I'd think that any time you were "out in the world", you'd need them, but then you could strip them off as soon as you got into the "safety" of your own home.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 12:38PM

Everyone in my mormon family believes that garments protect them from harm and evil. They say a prayer of protection before they participate in an activity which precludes garments.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 03:14PM

amos2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK, for the 100th time...
>
> I think it's a STUPIDLY trite myth that mormons
> think garments physically protect them or think
> they're in any way "magic".
>
> Yes, there are isolated anecdotal testimonies and
> folklore about physical protection...but in the 18
> years that I wore garments I NEVER thought of them
> as anything more than a covenanted obligation...a
> reminder of my temple obligations (OK, that's a
> whole 'nother discussion of their bogusness...and
> I DO think they're bogus...) But, common,
> someone's automatically a "hypocrite" fore taking
> off their garments to swim? Give me a fuckin'
> break.

Your own experience is an isolated anecdotal testimony as well, you know :).

When I got out of the MTC in August 2000, I had to endure a two-day interview (yes, two full days) with the second counselor in the MTC presidency. At multiple points in that discussion, he made it clear he believed that garments provide physical protection.

Then, there's Spencer W. Kimball, who said, "Though generally I think our protection is a mental, spiritual, moral one, yet I am convinced that there could be and undoubtedly have been many cases where there has been, through faith, an actual physical protection, so we must not minimize that possibility."

The Church Handbook does not take a stand either way on the question of belief in the physical protection of garments. It states simply that garments "serve as a protection against temptation and evil," which could be interpreted any way one wants.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2017 03:15PM by Anziano Young.

Posted by: truthseeker ( )
Date: June 23, 2012 06:59PM

lillium, I know, right? I was thinking the same thing. Mormon rules are so arbitrary.

Posted by: Rose Park Ranger ( )
Date: June 23, 2012 07:03PM

There are nonstop flights from Salt Lake City to Cancun, Puerto Vallarta and Los Cabos.

Posted by: icedlatte ( )
Date: June 23, 2012 07:17PM

Wouldn't stop my TBM family, but they would whisper about the horrible, innapropriate bikinis they see.

Posted by: Finally Free ( )
Date: June 23, 2012 09:13PM

...but some don't want to because they're concerned about too much skin (or ashamed to show their own)..

Others are fine with it and find it exhiliarating to finally be able to shed their (long underwear) garments if they're the serious, temple-going Mormons

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: June 23, 2012 09:35PM

OMG, Mindlight. This is going on my refrigerator!

>>>"mental illness doesn't just run in my family, it strolls thru, getting to know each one of us up close and personal."<<<

My daughter's TBM husband makes her wear garments every day and night of their beach vacation, except when she is in her swim suit. She is a gorgeous California girl, but she wears shorts or a cover-up over her swimsuit. You can spot the Mormons on the beach, the men and women alike wear those awful, tight jean "shorts" that end right at the knee. Unisex.

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: June 23, 2012 10:19PM

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 04:13PM

Her husband MAKES her wear garments . . . ? Maybe she needs to tell him she'll wear them as SHE sees fit. My husband liked to throw his priesthood around on occasion, but he didn't tell me when to wear garments. He didn't much like it when I would forgo them for one reason or another (and believe me, I was always looking for a reason) but he didn't get a vote.

Posted by: CoolLDS ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 11:02PM

How is this even a question. Yes, Mormons can go to a public beach. Just because others are immodest doesn’t mean that a Mormons can’t see that. The world is full of Immodest people that dress with little clothes at the beach. Moromons have their agency and can choose what they do. They aren’t a programmed robot. C’mon man.

Posted by: good grief ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 12:05AM

You don't get to decide what's "immodest" for other people. Non-mormons aren't required to obey your cult's silly arbitrary rules, made up to reinforce some imagined moral superiority.

You're a dime a dozen, just one more judgmental self-righteous mormon, and not nearly as "cool" as you think you are.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 12:46AM

Your Mormon great-grandparents would consider YOU to be "immodest." Is it okay for fashions to change with the times, or not?

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 11:14PM

When I was a Mormon I went with other Mormons to 'nude beaches'.

They didn't have a second thought about it as it was where we were staying!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 11:32PM

Of course they can, although someone who was completely sheltered in Utah and only went to Disneyland might be shocked the first time they went to a beach. Most TBM's even if they're from Utah are aware that most people outside their bubble aren't Mormon, and don't share the same standards of dress.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 12:32AM

1st child was born 7/4, it was a warm/ Hot Seattle summer...

After we went back for a well-child visit...
We went skinny-dipping at the UW arboretum;

That was our First swim together, (now ex) wife commented how great it was Without a swimsuit!
'Nice to feel water all-around'

Oh, & btw, First Date with #2 was at a nudist park!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2017 12:34AM by GNPE.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 01:57AM

Of course Mormons can go to the beach with no problem. Except the occasional cat trying to cover them with sand.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 01:25PM

Funny! :D

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 11:50AM

Where else can all those LDS women with $$$$ enlargements - augmentations show off their ta-tas?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 12:31PM

They'd just cluck and shake their heads over the immodesty.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 09:23PM

My ward had lots of beach partys. No big deal.

We also let the ward use our pool for swim parties every summer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2017 09:32PM by saucie.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.