Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 03:49PM

As a companion thread to the "substitute swearing" thread, for those who don't normally swear, what kinds of things make you cross that line into vigorous vulgar expression? And do you feel guilty afterwards?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 03:52PM

Hey! Some of us who normally swear sometimes feel guilty afterwards! That might be some of the attraction...

But yeah, if I've dropped a 'goddam it' or a juicy F-bomb in front of an 'innocent' person, I'll feel a twinge of guilt.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 12:47AM

shouldn't people tell you that, BTW? ANd he told me to watch my language because his kid was in the room.

My cousin also likes to yank my chain, so I dunno. But I tried to chill on the cussing.

MoFo! (Sorry,kiddo).

It took forever for me to complete a sentence.

Posted by: I swear ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 05:32PM

Godammit. Having to fuckin explain myself to some SOB on the internet totally pisses me off. Don't be shittin in my grits.

;x

Nope. Not a lick of guilt ;)

Sorry - a low ball I could't resist.

Passion of any flavor now brings out the swear in me.

I used to never swear, but was stuck at work in a room with a woman for many years, who could not speak to even her superiors without swearing. My internal "no swearing" mechanism wore down over time. I don't really like it. but discovered that people who do or don't swear may not trust each other. I hate for something that is basically petty to stand in the way of decent relations. Now, it's like an on/off switch over which I would like to have greater contol, so still working on it.

Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 07:39PM

Humberto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>what kinds of things make you cross that line into vigorous vulgar expression?
Bad Referees, Politicians and people who speak nonsense.

>And do you feel guille afterwards?
No (after leaving TSCC)

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 11:56PM

I've always been more interested in context over content.

If someone says to me, "Shit, man, that fucking sucks!", there might be hugs afterwards.

If someone says to me, "Shit, man, you fucking suck!", there might be punches afterwards.

My father, however, is much more opposed to the words themselves. He'd rather kick puppies than hear a four letter word, and would probably drown them before uttering one. With many words losing their punch and becoming so much more common in society, it's a wonder that he can tolerate going out in public. His level of intolerance is something I don't understand.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 12:06AM

Ooooooh shit here we go.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 09:33AM

Our language has "strong" words in it for a reason...

Sometimes the penultimate expression of outrage/anger/frustration is just the right thing.

Over-use those expressions, and they lose their "punch."

Use them at just the right time, and no other, and their punch is more powerful.

It's a bit of an art form...certainly an action that takes experience and thought. Just rattling them off any old time shows the person doing it hasn't thought things through.

:)

Posted by: Luv-2-Cuss ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 03:17PM

Years ago, I was dating this guy who seemed different... and special. We were in that talkity getting-2-know-U period. You know, slowly letting the other see how we really were.

I don't remember what led up to it, but one time he remarked in this impossibly prissy tone, "I don't like it when ladies cuss."

izzat so? I thought. Then I exclaimed rather loud, "No shit??"

he stared at me, mouth open. And then he began to laugh. He laughed his @$$ off! And that was like a major good sign to me!

We've been married >25 years. And I still have a potty mouth.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 05:06PM

great story :)

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 06:52PM

Phuck is the MOST useful word in our vocabulary. Use it as necessary.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.