Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 12:00AM

I don't plan on cursing, but it's part of who I am.

Original thread: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2015511

So, caffiend, I had already ordered the Aeropress, and i've used it for about a week, and the best thing about it is that I'm never microwaving yesterday's coffee. The coffee also tastes better than the fresh stuff from my French press, so not a bad investment for now.

I thought about you when I read this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/17/science/coffee-freeze-beans-grind.html?action=click&contentCollection=Personal%20Tech&module=RelatedCoverage&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

and this

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/26/technology/personaltech/best-coffee-grinders-equipment.html

and I thought my boss was bullshitting me about this, but he wasn't. (I don't believe him about many things, because he convinced me that the UPS dude in Anchorage rode a dog sled and wore shorts):

http://www.worldaeropresschampionship.com/

Gonna be AFK, but I'll check in later.

MWAH

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 12:04AM by Beth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 12:04AM

I missed you beth believe it or not.

Date: September 17, 2017 12:08AM

I have to be careful I don't get in some bipolar hypomanic posting like a crack addicted gerbil manic loop. Sometimes I force myself to take a break.

I'll talk to you later. Taking mah dawg to Centralia to see the place I'm hopefully buying. We need to check out the yard for the fencing in and out of the animals.

I read this yesterday, and found it interesting, and I was like, AW! Nice history:

"In the 1850s and 1860s, Centralia's Borst Home at the confluence of the Chehalis and Skookumchuck Rivers was the site of a toll ferry, and the halfway stopping point for stagecoaches operating between Kalama, Washington and Tacoma. In 1850, J. G. Cochran and his wife Anna were led there via the Oregon Trail by their adopted son, a free African-American named George Washington (Washington pioneer), as the family feared he would be forced into slavery if they stayed in Missouri after the passage of the Compromise of 1850. Cochran filed a donation land claim near the Borst Home in 1852, and was able to sell his claim to Washington for $6000 because unlike the neighboring Oregon Territory, there was no restriction against passing legal ownership of land to negroes in the newly formed Washington Territory.

"Upon hearing of the imminent arrival of the Northern Pacific Railway (NP) in 1872, George Washington filed a plat for the town of Centerville, naming the streets after biblical references and offering lots for $10 each, with one lot free to buyers who built houses. Finding that another town in the south-central part of the state bore the same name, the town was officially incorporated as Centralia on February 3, 1886, so dubbed by a recent settler from Centralia, Illinois. The town's population boomed, then collapsed in the Panic of 1893, when the NP went bankrupt; entire city blocks were offered for as little as $50 with no takers. Washington (despite facing racial prejudice from some newcomers) made personal loans and forgave debt to keep the town afloat until the economy stabilized; the city then boomed again based on the coal, lumber and dairying industries. On his death in 1905, all businesses in the town closed, and 5000 mourners attended his funeral."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Washington

K. Gotta bounce!

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 12:37AM

I need to take a long break i have no clue why i am still on here. Its got to be like crack.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 12:33AM

Q: What do you call someone who programs in assembly language ?

A: A cursor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 12:33AM by Dave the Atheist.

Date: September 17, 2017 02:10PM

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 09:38AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Q: What do you call someone who programs in
> assembly language ?
>
> A: A cursor.

http://sectorwars.free.fr/partial_6502_asm_source_listing_flagship_mainloop.gif

How I learned to program :)

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 09:54AM

When I wrote manuals for SDKs (software development kits), I would sometimes insert in my drafts little Easter eggs for the programmers reviewing them. Things like,

"Step 3: Slam keyboard and inspect the screen for a corresponding change in the error status.

Step 3a: If error status is resolved, proceed to Step 4.

Step 3b: If error status persists, throw keyboard across the room while using Turing's name in vain."

I learned quickly which programmers actually read the manuals they were supposed to be reviewing.

Date: September 18, 2017 09:55AM

Greg, I think I read some of your SDK manuals...:)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 02:05AM

How can I resist a personal shout-out in the header? No way!

Problem with the NY Slymes is they love to appeal to, and pose as, elite arbiters of everything from politics to pooper scoopers (imagery intended). I noticed in the second article they only referenced two coffee grinders: a $2700 obscenely expensive one, and one at $270. 1/10 of obscenity is still obscenity. Now, how many of us are comfortable plunking down $270 for an appliance we'll use a few times a day? My $9.75 Krups grinder (Good Will) retails for $48 on Amazon, and does the job just fine. An excellent demonstration of the Law of Diminishing Returns, here.

In the photo, I noticed they're used white (bleached) paper coffee filters. Did that kettle have the same temperature for each sample cup? Oh, those dreadful, uncontrollable variables!!! I've heard of the pantyhose/stocking gimmick for filtering coffee. Just what I would expect BYU Boner to use (used!).

Glad you like the Aeropress. I'm set in my theology, but not in my coffee brewing. I just think it's more parts, time, washing and bother than I'm comfortable with, but it it gives you the brew you like, fine!

Microwaving coffee is the 13th Deadly Sin, ranks just after failing to pick up after your dog (#12). Coffee that's hung around for a while (a rarity in Caffiend's Boston Beanery) either goes into the fridge for icing later, or gets dumped.

Hope your house situation works out.I googled images of Centralia; it looks like a very nice town. Just make sure your flood insurance stays current! (Seriously, check your prospective home's elevation relative to the high flood plain.)

Dave: VERY cute! I expect HieTooKolob to weigh on on that one.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 04:50AM

I like the aeropress, the only drawback is that if the water doesn't fill to the top before pressing, a little air can be trapped between the plunger and the water, which makes it harder to press, and which sometimes releases suddenly and geysers scalding water onto the unwary. Plus, sometimes (not sure why) it's just plain hard for this old geezer to push the plunger down. But it makes a good cup.

Date: September 17, 2017 02:25PM

I think, "Please don't let this spill on me. Please don't let this spill on me." until I reach that sweet spot.

Do you do more than rinse yours off and clean the rubber plunger part? I love shooting the grounds out of the tube and into the compost deal. I have missed, though...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 02:26PM by Beth.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 08:34PM

I used to disassemble and wash all parts, even the metal filter. Then I got casual and now I just give it a rinse, with the bottom on and filter in. But when I do wash the filter with soap, to remove the oils, I don't really notice any improvement in the flow, still hard to press at times.

That does sound fun, I'll try that! :) I just dump the grounds out the top and rinse.

Date: September 18, 2017 12:55PM

the rubber thing. The directions are BEFORE YOU DRINK THAT COFFEE, PUSH OUT THE GRINDS YO! BEFORE! YES! Then give everything a good rinse AND CLEAN THAT RUBBER THING. CLEAN IT! NOW!DRINK!

This is the one I have: https://static.prima-coffee.com/aerobie/immersion/aeropress-front.jpg

Date: September 17, 2017 02:22PM

Glad you're like WTF? about the grinders. It's like WTF, Apple? $1K for a phone? I've been a loyal fangirl since Drexel University was like, "Incoming Freshmen! You must have this here boxy thing. You'll thank us one day." (I didn't go to Drexel, but I grew up nearby.)

NY Slymes? Really? Please don't take us there. I have issues with the Grey Lady, but this is alllll about the wonderfulness of coffee. Deal? Please?

Oh, don't get me started on flood insurance. Yes, I have it and it's 3x the cost of homeowner's insurance, but a river runs by it (not the Chehalis), so I'm in a 100-year floodplain. I'm going to get an elevation certificate to see if the flood insurance price can be lowered. The house was built in 1928, and it hasn't flooded, but that doesn't mean we won't get stranded. Plus, I don't want the basement shooting range damaged.

Yeah about the microwave. Sometimes, IDK. Ugh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 02:27PM by Beth.

Date: September 19, 2017 08:20PM

Beth Wrote:
> Glad you're like WTF? about the grinders. It's
> like WTF, Apple? $1K for a phone?

You're my kind of girl (but so is my DW).
>
> NY Slymes? Really? Please don't take us there. I
> have issues with the Grey Lady, but this is alllll
> about the wonderfulness of coffee. Deal? Please?

Deal. Can I dump my grounds in the Washington (com)Post?
>
> Oh, don't get me started on flood insurance. Yes,
> I have it and it's 3x the cost of homeowner's
> insurance, but a river runs by it (not the
> Chehalis),

I thought you were referring to the Blackfoot River and Norman Maclean's novella, "A River Runs Through It." Good movie, too.

so I'm in a 100-year floodplain. I'm
> going to get an elevation certificate to see if
> the flood insurance price can be lowered. The
> house was built in 1928,...

Mine was built c1904. Sturdy stone foundation, massive beams, joists, and genuine 2x4s. But nothing is plumb or meets at a right angle!

> I don't want the basement shooting range damaged.

I repeat, you're my kind of girl!
>
Microwaving coffee? I know Unitarians who regard coffee as a sacramental element. They consider reheated coffee a mortal sin.

Date: September 19, 2017 09:14PM

> Deal. Can I dump my grounds in the Washington
> (com)Post?

Sure. I have Amazon Prime, so I'm on my 6-mos. free ride. I'll probably cancel after that.

Pro Tip to EVERYONE but caffiend - If you have an Amazon Prime account, you can get access to the digital version of the WaPo (yes, yes I wrote that) for FREE.

> I thought you were referring to the Blackfoot
> River and Norman Maclean's novella, "A River Runs
> Through It." Good movie, too.

You caught that ;-) How do you think I met Brad Pitt?

> Mine was built c1904. Sturdy stone foundation,
> massive beams, joists, and genuine 2x4s. But
> nothing is plumb or meets at a right angle!

You're my kind of caffiend. Mine is a Craftsman style bungalow. After the brick masons reattach the chimney to the building (er, it's only tilting slightly), and I have my travelling zoo fenced in properly, I'm going to strip the paint off the box beam ceiling, because why not? Who doesn't like the smell of paint thinner in the morning.

> > I don't want the basement shooting range
> damaged.
>
> I repeat, you're my kind of girl!

I don't own a firearm, and I probably never will, maybe a rifle, BUT it is superfucking cool to have that shit in your basement. Period. End of fucking story.

> Microwaving coffee? I know Unitarians who regard
> coffee as a sacramental element. They consider
> reheated coffee a mortal sin.

How do they view cream?

P.S. The Goodwill is two blocks up the road.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2017 09:16PM by Beth.

Date: September 18, 2017 09:56AM

caffiend Wrote:
> Dave: VERY cute! I expect HieTooKolob to weigh on
> on that one.

See above -- I couldn't possibly let you down :)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 02:14PM

I have now used my new "Clever Coffee" for the second time. Easy-peasy.

My problem is going to be learning to like coffee. It's just so foreign to me at this point.

But I did it with beer, so I'm keeping an open mind.

Date: September 17, 2017 02:22PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 06:00PM

Coffee's my favorite post-Mormon vice. Well, maybe my second-favorite.

Yes, my second favorite. Clearly. . .

Anyway, I think you'll learn to love coffee. I drink a lot of espresso but like the normal stuff, too.

Who'd have thought bitter could be good? Now, hand me my diet Doctor Pepper.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 06:21PM

My son loves, loves, loves his Aeropress. Unless he buys his coffee out, or drinks what's provided at work, the Aeropress is his #1 choice.

Date: September 19, 2017 09:16PM

Posted by: coffeemaker ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 04:04AM

I love coffee always. coffee making is great.... this is my blog: http://getacoffeemaker.com/espresso-machine-maintenance/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2017 04:05AM by coffeemaker.

Date: October 04, 2017 08:39PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2017 08:45PM by Beth.

Date: October 04, 2017 08:49PM

Kind of busy--give me a day or two to look through the blog more. Looks like fun. Disclaimer: I don't drink espresso (formerly known as "Italian roast," which I call "distresso." The darker the roast, the more the nuances are overwhelmed. I'm always amused by reviews of dark roast coffee, "herbal bouquet with a light fruity follow-through," blah-blah-blah. Those people have more creative taste buds than me!

Date: October 04, 2017 08:50PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.