Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 08:11PM

A question in 'New Era' magazine: "How can we explain things in the Book of Mormon that I've heard didn't exist in ancient America?"

So what do they do? They reference a speech by DTC that's not about ancient America (I looked it up--it's about JS).

Anyway, he said: "Be patient."

“You know, of course, that as prophesied by Moroni, there are those whose research relating to Joseph Smith is not for the purpose of gaining added light and knowledge but to undermine his character, magnify his flaws, and if possible destroy his influence,” he said. “Their work product can sometimes be jarring, and so can issues raised at times by honest historians and researchers with no ‘axe to grind.’ But I would offer you this advice in your own study: be patient, don’t be superficial, and don’t ignore the Spirit.”

While some answers come quickly or with little effort, others are simply not available for the moment because information or evidence is lacking.

“Don’t suppose, however, that a lack of evidence about something today means that evidence doesn’t exist or that it will not be forthcoming in the future,” he said. “The absence of evidence is not proof. … Where answers are incomplete or lacking altogether, patient study and patient waiting for new information and discoveries to unfold will often be rewarded with understanding.”

But wait, the BoM doesn't mention things like jaguars or avocados that DID exist in ancient America, so essentially he's answering the "question they should have asked."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 08:22PM

While on my mission, in Mexico, I didn't know it at the time, but pulque's absence from the BofM is a good indicator that the book is fiction. I'm very serious.

wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulque

Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 09:06PM

To me the absence of tomatoes, potatoes and corn helped me to realize that it was fiction.
Especially corn, which was very important for a lot of american (continent) civilizations.

From Mayan's creation myth:
Together, the gods attempted to create living beings so that they may be praised and venerated by their creation. Their first attempts (animals, mud man, and wooden man) proved unsuccessful because they lacked speech, souls, and intellect.

"This the Forefathers did, Tepeu and Gucumatz, as they were called. After that they began to talk about the creation and the making of our first mother and father; of yellow corn and of white corn they made their flesh; of cornmeal dough they made the arms and the legs of man. Only dough of corn meal went into the flesh of our first fathers, the four men, who were created. [...] And as they had the appearance of men, they were men; they talked, conversed, saw and heard, walked, grasped things; they were good and handsome men, and their figure was the figure of a man."
Women were created later while the first four men slept.

PS: one day I will drink pulque

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 09:08PM

"The Nephites and righteous Lamanites drank NEW pulque and thus kept the Word of Wisdom. Poor Mormon just didn’t have room on the golden plates to mention this as he had to give space to Isabel the Harlot."

--Judic West (2013). A Shitty Defense of the Book of Mormon. Salt Lake City, UT: Deserted Books.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2017 09:31PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 09:01PM

I waited forty years for further evidence that LDS assertions about Nephites in Central America are true. But year after year, decade after decade, all new evidence only supported the contrary. I think Mormons who take the advice you mention will be waiting a loooong time for evidence that the BoM is true.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 09:08PM

But the church is counting on them to continue to tithe as they're waiting...

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 11:04PM

They will be waiting for the second coming as well, and the tithing keeps rolling in.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 09:24PM

"Magnify his flaws"

Hahahahahahaha....

His flaws were plenty big enough and don't need magnification.

Those who minimize them, or pretend he had none at all, are the ones to be suspicious of.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 09:54PM

So which ones did he ever obey?

He threatened to kill women that refused to bed with him.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 10:01PM

Despite being raised Mormon, I've known many people of different religions. Many of them are fine men and women of the community with good morals and values. So please tell me why there are no accounts that described JS as a kooky religious person, but an honest, hard working person in the community? Instead, people regarded JS as a dirty, rotten scoundrel.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 11:15PM

The politburo formulating new lies for the GA's to spew forth.

Posted by: MeM ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 11:33PM

"Be patient. Just because no one has ever seen a Unicorn in the mountains of Utah doesn't mean that they don't exist or that evidence might not be forthcoming in the future."

Posted by: gila monster ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 11:47PM

what a douche

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.