Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 09:28AM

In all honesty, I think the Irish are just beginning to feel like they can admit that they don't want a religion.

I spent several weeks there in 2004, before this official "drop." Met hundreds and hundreds of Irish Catholics, not a one of which gave two hoots about Catholicism, church, or "god." They were atheists, but called themselves Catholics. A "culture" thing.

Glad they're starting to admit it openly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 10:21AM

Probably like 50% of LDS if we could get an honest answer out of cultural mormons. Did your key board survive the oral baptism you gave it?

Gatorman

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 10:31AM

Just barely. It was a good excuse to wipe it down :)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 11:14AM

but the catholics still control the Irish government and like to see women die rather than giving them medical care in catholic hospitals.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: October 14, 2017 08:18AM

Hie to Kolub, we had a very similar experience when visiting my Irish Catholic relatives in rural Co Galway, people are culturally Catholic but are very fed up with the pedophile scandal, the Magdalen Laundries scandal, and the whole culture of clericalism. My husband is a Jewish Atheist and was delighted to meet several people who casually said they were atheists, no big deal and not a "terrible" admission like it would be in the US.I went to Mass at the old church my ancestors attended, and found the priest very liberal, not like some of the old hard-core Irish-American priests at home.

Just like here, the young people are not much interested in religion and while the policies on abortion are bad, you can get the morning after pill in the local drug store without a prescription! Ireland is much more complex than the stereotype many have of it.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 14, 2017 10:38AM

That's what I call the luck of the Irish.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 14, 2017 10:49AM

Looks like Ireland is starting to go the way of the rest of Europe. I notice that immigration has contributed to some religious diversity there (Islam, Orthodoxy, etc.)

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: October 14, 2017 10:49AM

Although, it seems in many ways the world is getting worse.

The truth is the people of the world are becoming more 'aware' in some areas!

This area is one!

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: October 14, 2017 02:30PM

I mean, you shed features that are no longer helpful and dedicate more energy to the ones that are...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.