Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon for this one ( )
Date: October 16, 2017 08:54PM

I don't like to drive. I'm still licensed, and if I need to, I can manage a short trip to the pharmacy, maybe 1.5 miles from my house. It's in a supermarket, so I can also pick up a few groceries if I have to.

However, I have been getting increasingly anxious about our dwindling supply of canned cat food for our two torties. They split a can of Fancy Feast every day, and get dry food for the rest of the day. We buy Fancy Feast in a 30-can box.

I have been remarking to my DH and our adult daughter about how low we were getting on the canned food, only to hear "I'll get it tomorrow," or "I'll see to it later."

Those responses just triggered something earlier today. It was like, "I WILL NOT BE PUT OFF ANY LONGER!!" I ran a brush through my hair, grabbed my purse, and headed for the local Wal-Mart, maybe two miles away.

Due to spinal problems, I had to use one of those scooter-carts, (which I loathe, but it beats collapsing mid-aisle from hips giving out.) I located a 30-can box of Fancy Feast in the kitties' favorite flavors, paid for it and drove home.

I had to take painkillers after I got home, because the walking was too much for me, but it was worth it. I had accomplished my mission. My kitties were NOT going to run out of Fancy Feast - not on MY watch.

This kind of anxiety of running out of something I consider to be important seems to be increasing, especially if my request for it is met with a tepid ("Yeah, later") kind of response.

I keep getting flashbacks from my childhood, when my requests for things were usually met with "We'll see," and never followed up without intense fighting. I didn't have the means to provide for what I wanted back then, and depended entirely on the cooperation of my parents. It's different now.

I have the financial means. It's the physical part that is difficult. But I absolutely HATE having to depend on the good will of other people, whose priorities may not be the same as mine.

Do other seniors get this panicky kind of feeling, once in a while??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 16, 2017 09:12PM

The panicky feeling is very well founded if the people you depend on are not dependable.

Is there a responsible teenager nearby who could help you out with this when you need help? Maybe a trusted teenager who babysits in the neighborhood (so their sense of responsibility is vouched for), who you could hire to either go to the store themselves to pick-up the needed cat supplies (if they drive), or who you could drive to the store and they could go in and get what you need. (On the Fancy Feast, for example, you could have THEM buy, say, four cartons at a time, which would mean that you wouldn't have to make so many individual trips, and this would greatly reduce the additional "delivery cost.")

This would probably be a very attractive offer for many teens who need additional money for their regular needs, or who are saving money for college.

For you, it would preserve a bit of independence from the undependable whims of your husband and your daughter.

Posted by: not logged in 2day ( )
Date: October 16, 2017 09:13PM

Next time DH is at the store, can't he get a big ol' bag of Meow Mix for emergencies? Feeding cats dry food doesn't mean you hate them.

Princess Pussifur of Upper Snootia will eat dry food if she's hungry enough – and yes, we had cats growing up. They ate very well, but they could also eat dry when needed.

Posted by: OP ( )
Date: October 19, 2017 01:57AM

Your post made me laugh.

Our "princesses" DO eat dry food, but only the high-falutin' stuff from the fancy pet store.

Thank you, all who replied.

Posted by: Brain ( )
Date: October 16, 2017 10:31PM

You can always order on Amazon and get it delivered. I think Walmart is also doing free deliveries now.

Posted by: OP ( )
Date: October 19, 2017 01:51AM

I will have to call our local Wal-Mart to see if they deliver. That would be SUCH a sweet deal!

It really sucks to have limited physical capacity, and to know that your expenditure of energy will almost certainly result in pain and the need for painkillers.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 19, 2017 02:08AM

Agree. I would just order the FF over the internet and have it delivered. The major pet retailers (i.e. Petco, PetSmart) would be happy to ship you cases of the FF. They even do repeat deliveries if you wish:

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/category/cat/cat-food/wet-cat-food#facet:-1002709711099121327010197115116&productBeginIndex:0&orderBy:&pageView:&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&;

You can also check out Chewy.com.

I understand wanting to have a good supply. I always keep a 2-3 week supply on hand.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: October 16, 2017 11:02PM

Sometimes I have a hard time asking for help when I need it. I get that feeling.

It wouldn't be out of line to tell them that you pay a high physical price in pain for running errands like this. Their reluctance to help in good time causes you stress, and encourages you to do too much.

As an alternative, maybe buy some spare cans, or a spare box. And put it on the shopping list early, so they have a week to get it.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 16, 2017 11:07PM

Cats are people too.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 16, 2017 11:44PM

Babyloncansuckit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cats are people too.

+1,000!!!

:)

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 12:01AM

Our city has a special bus that takes disabled people for free to destinations like grocery stores, hospitals, doctor's offices, and maybe anywhere they need. The taxi company also takes seniors or disabled for a minimal fee but you need to have a special photo id made by them. Our senior center gives rides and also hooks seniors up with volunteers who will do a variety of other tasks you might need. There are quite a few religious organizations here that offer volunteer health and service aid for no charge and you do not have to be of their faith. I think the Lutheran's have an organization and for sure, the Catholics. Of course, NOT the Mormons.

I don't know where you live but some cities have better resources than others. As we get older we have to admit that we need help. Everyone needs a hand sometimes. Some colleges and universities require that their students do a mandatory approved service project for one semester. You might be able to sign-up for that. I heard that most students dread the thought when they choose a project and later state that it was the most rewarding experience they had in college. So don't be afraid to ask and look around. Help is out there. You may make some new friends.

Don't forget that even family can feel like they are being taken for granted. Don't forget to show thanks and appreciation for even the little things. I do a lot for my elderly mother. We both sometimes growl or snap at one another but at day's end we thank each other for all the kindnesses of the day. It works for us.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: October 19, 2017 05:29PM

Cats are people...of all the...how dare you...so callous...cats are not people...they own people who work for them and buy them fancy food and allow them to scratch couches...cats are royalty from the days of egyptus...mind your tongues slaves...haha...my dog on the other hand...loves me even on a bad day...cats not so much

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.