Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: October 19, 2017 03:59PM

So i learned i actually have two discs that are bad not just one. The doc said if i decided to do surgery and replace them that he would definitely do the two at the same time and not just the one. He also said that there may be a small chance that the facet joints could be causing some pain so he would want to try to rule that out first before a surgery. F#ck i don't know what i want to do i thought for sure i would pull the trigger on disc replacement today but decided to rule out the facet joints first as a cause of pain. These decisions are tough especially with the neck. Why isn't there a pill that repairs the entire body without surgery come on medical field you are killing me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 19, 2017 04:24PM

Badassadam1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why
> isn't there a pill that repairs the entire body
> without surgery come on medical field you are
> killing me.

There might be, someday. Targeted, pre-programmed nanobots that know just what to fix, go to it through your bloodstream, and do the repair.

But that's a ways off. Until then...make the best choices you can based on the best available information. :)

Date: October 19, 2017 06:29PM

That would be pretty tight if there was something that could do that. I am getting my blood drawn tomorrow that will cover a ton of stuff so hopefully i get some accurate answers. I just learned i will probably have to wear a cpap machine for sleeping f###ck me.

Posted by: Captain Klutz ( )
Date: October 19, 2017 07:41PM

Adam, I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV, but I'd think your doctor should not be upset if you get a second opinion.

Neck surgery is not a minor deal. Ask your GP and/or friends near to you for a recommend on a surgeon to review your records.

You might also ask your surgeon if inversion therapy might help you.

Also, as far as apnea goes, check with your dentist. They can make an oral appliance that helps some apnea patients. My brother had a CPAP machine that he quit using because it was too uncomfortable. Having one that you won't use is almost like not having one at all.

Best of luck to you!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 19, 2017 07:57PM

My DH had sleep apnea for years. His noisy, stop-and-start breathing terrified me for years.

He finally got a CPAP. He slept better, his energy levels were better, his blood pressure went down, and in general, it made his quality of life better all around. But it was a pain to keep it clean and properly maintained.

Now they have switched him to a gizmo that looks something like a bicycle chain, that fits around his lower jaw and makes it jut out, like a bulldog. Evidently, it opens the airway just as well, and requires far less maintenance. It isn't a machine. It just changes the shape of your lower jaw, improving the air flow. (Only for night-time use.)

Posted by: paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: October 19, 2017 07:11PM

steps. firest, then, next, second, third, later, check figure out, try this next, and then,

for our whole lives.

its like a baby learning to crawl after surgery, first you have to figureout what doesn't move, what hurts, turn to the other side if it won't sit right up, move a leg out from the bed, hold it it still with you hand if you have to, then lean forward when you feet touch the floor careful hold a rail, keep your balance, and stand finally.

before you ever stand after a surgery, first your crawl out of your bed. before you crawl, you have to move each arm and hand and leg and foot wiggle it see it establish connection with it. then you have to roll a little and
before you can stand you have to crawl out of bed.

that's what this life is. again and again. stand back up after you figure out how to crawl again. get up. stand. move. hold on, be careful. sometimes that's the way it is.

sometimes you're going strong. legs move body walks but each morning you crawl out of bed all over again to stand.

each limitation each situation without nanobots and a live mr spock startrek rx- first they wonder if they can stick something on to hold it from falling apart. or sew it back up. or see if they have to. can you just, stand there instead, they'll see if you fall over before handing you a crutch. lol
maybe send you to therapy on leg movement and then they take the crutch away.

again and again and again.

got another problem? its starts again. and again. The gift is, start again. get up, start again. That's the gift. That is it. Drink coffee. write poetry. snap fingers snap poetry sip coffee. again. Start again. that was the gift.

Posted by: paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: October 19, 2017 07:28PM

every time you wake up and don't know what hot with pain to avoid how to curl away what to move so the pain don't reign

and it starts again. THat's the gift. its starts again. first you, you remember how to crawl as you crawl out of bed, after you sit up. you have to sit up first. Then you get to crawl. out of the bed. Then you you get to walk.

walk away. walk away. breathe.

that's your gift. That's it. again and again and again until the end. its been a gift. that's it. get up.. get up again you fall down don't get stuck just get up. just get back up.
(in my experience medical professionals will see if you fall how you fall when you fall if you fail to flail when you fall what you grab to prevent a fall, and compliment you on your balance. Suggest more walking. not a crutch unless you can't move without falling basically. its its its a absolute resolute love of physical form capacity rational belief in generativity growth capacity adaptivity as an inherent human capacity.

I recall when shelves decked me in an admin blding classroom & gradually the cane stayed on the desk. first it held my weight. then it reached for papers wall posters when my feet stayed on the ground standing up, later without being aware of it I left the cane propped beside me standing. then it was at the desk and I was across the room, finally it was tucked behind the desk between file cabinet and the wall. oh I still keep one with me, thrown over the back seat of the pick up truck whenever I go out drive away. Haven't seen it in my hand in a long long time.

Best blessing to you in your recovery your life & your ability to build adaptive responses finding your inherent strengths within your own housed inner house of amazing skills, latent talents and unknown wonders.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 19, 2017 08:17PM

For major medical decisions, second opinions are essential when you're able to get one.

There is no such thing as a minor surgery. Neck surgery and operating on spinal discs is a highly sensitive operation. That wouldn't be an easy decision, not even with two opinions.

I got a second opinion today for my dog to have some teeth removed. It's treated as surgery at the vet's because he'll go under general anesthesia. And he's up in years.

The second opinion was valuable to me because it confirmed he really does need his teeth out. I didn't say that to the vet, I let them tell me that. And yes it confirmed what the other vet wants to do.

It's an expensive procedure - I don't have pet insurance. The first vet is app 1/2 the price of the 2nd one; so of course that's the one will be going with. That one has been our vet for years.

Second opinions are good if you aren't sure about something.

Posted by: Anon 2 ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 05:53PM

Your doctor would want you to go in relaxed and confident that you are doing the correct thing. Surgery is a major step. You have confidence in your doctor so you get a second opinion. If you expected it to be different, you would have fired that doctor a long time ago. You've gotten some good advice here. I've been watching you for weeks and I haven't heard anything wrong. Meditation and breathing would be good.

But my surgeon, my daughter's surgeons, back is 2 heart is 5, always like the second opinion. They give second opinion all the time and some of them say. They learned this new technique that your primary surgeon missed because he was doing drs without borders. They may do da Vinci, they may do laser, they may put gel or plastic in. The surgeons, the good surgeons always want to hear what the other doctor said. Hell I've gone to 2 doctors for the same thing. One gave me opiod, the others put gel in my knee. Everyone got in on that!!

Go watch the 3stooges or something. Get loose.

Date: October 20, 2017 08:36PM

I can't even watch something that is funny i am too d@mn worried to relax. Believe me i am trying hard to distract myself from stuff. I did find out i have sleep apnea though when i had a sleep test for my restless legs and my legs move very severely in the night and i got blood work done but don't know the results yet.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.