Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 10:52AM

The Franciscan Monastery in Kennebunkport, Maine, reported in 1988 that the remains of Saint Anthony were missing from the monastery chapel. Saint Anthony is the saint of lost articles.

In 1983 Josephine Taylor of Constance Lake, Ontario, said that she saw the image of Jesus Christ on her bathroom floor. Taylor says that one morning she looked down and saw the image, formed by dark spots on the cement floor. Edgar Sutherland, an associate of the village minister, said that the image was only worn linoleum adhesive. About 30,000 Canadians came to see for themselves.

In 1989, Pope John Paul II announced two new sins: bad driving and speeding. He told Italian auto club members who attended his weekly audience that reckless drivers will have to answer to God "not only for hazardous actions that endanger one's own and other people's lives, but also for ignoring road security regulations."

Barend Strydom, a 23-year-old ex-police officer in South Africa, went camping and meditated for three days before going on a shooting spree that left seven blacks dead. Strydom said that he prayed to determine if Jesus Christ approved of his mass murder plans and took the fact that Jesus did not appear to him as a sign of approval. Strydom testified at his trial that he would repeat his actions if freed.

Daniel Pucheta, a sorcerer, explained why he failed to summon Satan to a witchcraft convention in Mexico in 1981, "We should have started at midnight, not 1:30 in the morning. The devil does not keep Mexican time."

The woman whom Catholic priest Gene Jakubek confessed to having had sex with four times in two years insisted they actually had sex twice a month for four years. In fairness to Jakubek, she added that he did give up sex for lent.

(more at: http://www.dribbleglass.com/subpages/religion.htm )

Happy Friday! :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 11:52AM

The Barend Strydom one is a bit chilling, echoing the Moroni challenge. "God didn't tell me not to, so I did" :-/

It's a great name though ;-)

Have a great weekend Hie and everyone

Tom in Paris
(where the weekend is already in swing, as it starts at 3.30 PM - all praise to the 35-hour working week :-D )

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 12:09PM

It's Homer Simpson again .... "God, give me a sign if you don't want me to eat this doughnut."

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 12:11PM

Weird religious missionary funny: 12/12 is Virgin Lupe day in Mexico. Her 'home' is the Virgen de Guadalupe Basilica in Mexico City. There's a broad roadway, with a wide center pedestrian walk way, which on 12/12 is strewn with people on their knees, crawling their way up to the basilica doors. They do this as a form of penance, as they devote themselves to her adoration, and usually at the same time, asking for a specific blessing.

I was two months into my mission when 12/12 rolled around. My Sr. comp and I, and the other two elders in our apartment, headed for the basilica where we met up with other elders and we stood there, picking out pairs of crawlers and betting a peso on which one got to a particular milestone first. But you had to bet on equal pairs, meaning that if one of them was wearing pieces of tire tread on his/her knees, he or she was matched with another tire tread wearer.

We wondered how they justified 'cheating' on Lupe by making it easier. That's the kind of heavy-weight philosophizing that elders delve into.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 12:17PM

Does a high-income tither get more exalted in the CK than somebody earning minimum wage? Does a patriarch from the good old (pre-1890) days with more wives get into CK Level III, but the monogamous men of current day get stuck at Level I?

Date: October 20, 2017 12:26PM

So when I see mentally ill people dragging huge crosses to protest against us bad Atheists are they cheating because their crosses have wheels ?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 12:30PM

Dave, how do we manage to sleep nights!!!!!

Date: October 20, 2017 12:36PM

Rather, it is a demonstration of spiritual elitism ("Look how holy I am!"). As a Christian, I am embarrassed by such acts.

I don't think Christ was calling for public displays of devotion involving timber (with or without wheels) when he called His followers to "pick up your cross and follow (Him). Cross-bearing is an interior issue, and should be consistent with the intimacy of entering one's chamber to pray, or ministering alms anonymously "so the left hand does not know what the right has done."

Date: October 20, 2017 01:39PM

You're a good christian, my stimulated friend.

I always wondered how other christians could read the bible, where Jesus says to pray in secret & those that pray in public are hypocrites, then go demand that school assemblies, sports games, and city council meetings MUST be started with a public prayer :)

Date: October 20, 2017 04:17PM

Public prayer is not prohibited in Scripture. Many public leaders practiced it.

Where the event is attended primarily by people who identify as Christian, I have no problem with a general invocation for a blessing. This is especially applicable to funerals of public persons. I don't expect particular profundity or spiritual empowerment from such prayers. They serve the purpose of uniting in shared identity and allegiance.

But personal, or small group, prayer should be the norm. One reason Christians are losing the culture war is because of merely nominal participation, instead of personal observance and practice. "Piety" is not a word you hear much these days.

I don't expect you to agree with me, of course. What we are seeing nowadays is the individual or minority group veto of the expression beliefs and loyalties commonly shared beliefs by many. "That's not what I believe!" = You MUST not say or share it, as though reciting the Pledge of Allegiance or a common prayer is going to inflict PTSD on some poor, sensitive atheist cupcake. All because "MY rights are being offended!!!"

"Back in my day," the 1960s, we had a British national as a teacher (English Lit, natch! one of my best) at my school. During the opening assembly, he would discretely move to the rear, and stand respectfully, but mute, as the rest of us recited the Pledge of Allegiance. His national loyalties were respected, and he respected ours. We could use more of that.

This was supposed to be a humor thread. My bad!

Date: October 20, 2017 04:18PM

I was cleaning out the litter box, and saw a cat turd that was the spitting image of Madeline Murray O'Hare!

Date: October 20, 2017 07:35PM

again you have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Date: October 20, 2017 07:41PM

I do to!

The turd looked EXACTLY like Madeline Murray O'Hare! (Smelled like her, too.)

Date: October 21, 2017 01:22AM

since you have no idea how to spell, you have no credibility.

Date: October 20, 2017 08:24PM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...he would discretely move to the rear,
> and stand respectfully, but mute, as the rest of
> us recited the Pledge of Allegiance. His national
> loyalties were respected, and he respected ours.
> We could use more of that.

Today, the POTUS would be tweeting that he should be forced to stand with the others and recite the pledge, or he's an SOB! :)

> This was supposed to be a humor thread. My bad!

No worries. All opinions always welcome. Even yours <grin>.

Posted by: gordo7 ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 11:35PM

Why am I inspired to consider a really really practical joke?
Funny/entertaining ??

About 30,000 Canadians came to see for themselves.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.