Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 21, 2017 04:59PM

In looking at the several posts on the new improved missionary questions I noted they ask about ALL criminal activity, molestation and drug use whether a person was arrested or not, convicted or not or had their record expunged.

Do these kids realise that there is no sanctity in their confessions? That bishops and stake presidents gossip abd share info with wives and ward councils?

Will bishops encourage kids to turn themselves over to law enforcement or turn the kids in if they confess a crime they "got away with"?

Whatif the bishop is a cop?

I see a whole new layer of hell in the church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Curelom Joe ( )
Date: October 21, 2017 05:25PM

That's true! In my state, people in certain positions or jobs are legally required to report potential crimes they become aware of (such as sexual assault or child endangerment).

So if a prospective missionary answers yes, with details, to the question about sexual abuse of a minor, what is the bishop then supposed to do? It's more of a job interview than a religious-confession situation, it seems to me.

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: October 21, 2017 06:15PM

My DH, who was a bishop I think in the 80's insists that any such confession to a bishop is protected. ??????

Maybe that has changed since he was a bishop; when he did have a young man confess to sexually molesting his sisters, DH contacted his stake president and also hired a lawyer on his own dime to make sure of what his legal responsibilities were.

Meanwhile, he worked with the young man and convinced him that the right thing to do was to turn himself in, and to give permission to inform the mother so that she could take steps to protect and get counseling for the girls.

This was done. I am so proud of him, and I would hope those girls and the mother (as well as the young man) would be very grateful. I understand that "sanctuary trauma"--that is, dismissing the victim or siding with the perp increases the damage of molestation. That didn't happen in this case. so yay!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.