Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 22, 2017 10:10AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 22, 2017 10:14AM

Been out for 13 or 14 years now. I can't believe it has been that long already. It's great.

Posted by: tiger 343 ( )
Date: October 22, 2017 10:17AM

The mormon cult will keep going and going. It's a parasite and as long as there are people it can leech off it will continue

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: October 22, 2017 10:27AM

Anybody, I don't think you're a troll, but start a thread when you have something beyond the obvious please.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 22, 2017 10:29AM

"This is for all you new people...everyone fights -- no one quits."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh-vuomKdRg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2017 10:32AM by anybody.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 22, 2017 10:54AM

Dorothy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anybody, I don't think you're a troll, but start a
> thread when you have something beyond the obvious
> please.

It is kind of a funny thing to say to a group of ex-Mormons.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: October 22, 2017 10:55AM

Every saint has a past and every sinner a future. And while Oscar Wilde may have had faults his ability to create meaningless platitudes wasn't one of those faults.

Mormonism does have a future and that is the real problem.

See two can play this game.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 04:47AM

a future ??? It is terminally boring RIGHT NOW!!!!!

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 05:06AM

As much as ex-mo's hate the idea, there is a future in Mormonism and it will continue to have a place in part of the American fabric of life.

It's evolved from it's 19th century roots, and will continue to do so. That is how it, and any church, survives.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 06:07AM

Cults come and go over time. Some last longer than others. Cults require money to operate and grow on. If you deprive them of money effectively enough, they will die as their money runs out. The mormon cult is particularly vulnerable because they do not have a real moral core. They make it up as they go, and too often they get it wrong. The fact that they were a part of American history and had their own state (more or less), doesn't matter. They'll fall just like other cults.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 07:17AM

Of course Mormonism has a future - a huge train wreck. The valves are wired tight and they're shoveling coal like mad.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 10:32AM

When I was a young Mormon, I often heard the warnings of how Satan worked, how clever his ways were. This often started with "step by step, little by little," indicating that he was clever and stealthy and his enticings were difficult to spot. He "started with the little things to get you hooked and then slowly, very slowly ramped it up until he *had you*.

The Mormons know that the slow steady change is the way to go. They took a page from the adversary and do the "step by step, little by little, leading you slowly down" to emptiness and servitude. So obvious from the outside. Nearly impossible to see when you are in the forest looking at the trees.

Many are in it for the ego boost. My brother is high in the ranks because he gets his self esteem from the Mormons. He can Mormon better than anyone!

For some it is the opposite, they have allowed the Mormons to extract all of their self esteem and stand and then stand in F&T claim that they would be nothing with out the church.

Others rely on the church for a social life having developed no social skills of their own and enjoy being assigned a personality.

Humans are varied and different and there will always be a new crop with just the right personality to be sucked into the Mormon machine.

I had the exact traits necessary to go along forever with that ridiculous, pernicious mess. Luckily, SWK made it so clear how poisonous he was that my bubble was burst. But if you fit with the church, if there is nothing about it causing major trauma in you life, then it seems wonderful. So the Mormon church has a future even as they decimate the futures of their followers.

Posted by: fordescape ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 11:45PM

Some people say that the more a religion liberalizes, the more members they lose. I'm thinking of the now long gone death penalties and various changes in the temple garment, etc.

It's when a religion's uniqueness is gone that it loses members.

I'm not defending the church, past or present. I simply like the sociology of religion.

https://www.amazon.com/Theory-Religion-Rodney-Stark-ebook/dp/B000RL6ENE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508989187&sr=8-1&keywords=stark+and+bainbridge

I don't know about Bainbridge but Stark is an agnostic.

At any rate it's a difficult but great read and they seem right on target.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 04:54PM

Getting out does mean saving a lot of money.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 11:54PM

Plus you get sundays off.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.