Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: October 27, 2017 02:57PM

and also iron deficient. I swear some of you should be doctors you have more common sense. I finally feel like i am narrowing things down and treating things more correctly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 27, 2017 03:04PM

Drink a glass of red wine a day. That will help get your iron up. Drink a glass of vitamin D milk a day to get your vitamin D up.

Date: October 27, 2017 03:38PM

I am allergic to dairy so i can't have milk. I just started taking supplements for vitamin D. Would it be a bad idea to start an iron supplement without talking to my doctor first? I am also low on calcium.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 27, 2017 04:21PM

Badassadam1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am allergic to dairy so i can't have milk. I
> just started taking supplements for vitamin D.
> Would it be a bad idea to start an iron supplement
> without talking to my doctor first? I am also low
> on calcium.

Depends on the strength of the iron supplement, because males can get an iron overload that females usually don't have to worry about. (Females lose iron every month because of their menstrual periods, so in any usual kinds of circumstances, females usually don't have to be concerned about too much iron).

Ten mg (milligrams) of iron is what is recommended for adult males. Do NOT take any more than this. (There are higher recommended levels of daily iron for menstruating women, women who are nursing, and pregnant women, none of which are groups you are a part of. ;) )

Before you begin taking iron, talk to your doctor first. Too much iron (especially in males, because they are not regularly excreting iron) can be poisonous, so this is where you really need to talk to your doctor first.

You can also get your iron from food, which is a safer source for this particular nutrient. The problem is: most Americans, eating what amounts to the Standard American Diet, are often not eating these particular foods in enough quantity to keep their iron levels at optimum levels.

Iron-rich foods, which you are most likely to include in your diet at levels necessary for optimum iron levels, are: liver...lentils...spinach...sardines...black beans...pistachios...and some other foods that you are unlikely to consume in sufficient quantities (assuming that you consume them at all), such as spirulina (a powder made of blue-green algae that people add to smoothies they make) and GRASS-FED (not regular!!!) beef (which is extremely expensive, and often very hard to find in many areas of the country)...and an intense-tasting product called blackstrap molasses, which most people mix into a glass of milk.

Which means, for you, unless you just LOVE liver and lentils and spinach and sardines and blackstrap molasses, and you eat at least two or three of these every day, you probably do need to get an iron supplement.

My recommendation: if the iron supplement is more than 10 mg per capsule or whatever (which it is likely to be), then take one capsule every OTHER day......or even every two days (so you take the capsule on Day One, and then you do NOT take the capsule for the following two days...then repeat).

Iron for American males is more difficult than it is for American females, so you need to think this through so that you are ingesting about 70 mg of supplemental iron every WEEK (spread over the days of that week...NOT taken all at once!!!).

You might also Google: foods highest in iron, and see if you can begin including more of those in your regular diet. Your chances of getting "too much" iron from food sources are almost non-existent, so anything you can do to boost your diet with food-source iron would be to your benefit.

EDITED TO ADD: Since you are allergic to milk, my suggestion is that you go to your local GNC store and ask for a calcium supplement. They have one that also contains Vitamin D, so if you take the standard dosage every day (I don't have a container of this product here so I can't check the dosage level, but the label on the bottle will tell you), this will---over time---probably take care of your Vitamin D AND your calcium needs in one easy-to-take capsule or tablet daily, so you probably won't have to worry about these two particular nutrients any more once you begin taking that supplement.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2017 05:25PM by Tevai.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 27, 2017 06:49PM

However, the first time I made from-scratch lentil soup for the family I currently belong to, the kids regarded it with deep suspicion, dubbed it "Lentil Poop," and refused to touch it.

Their father at least tried it, but he wasn't a fan either.

Nowadays, I have to resort to canned lentil soup, which isn't half as good as my own (which I flavor with bacon.)

A crying shame, really. Something that's really good for me, and that I like, but seldom get to eat because nobody else in the family likes it!!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 27, 2017 10:03PM

Did you use RED lentils? They’re amazing!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 27, 2017 06:38PM

There are a number of medications, like conditions, that do not mix well with alcohol. Adam should check first before imbibing on wine. Even consulting his doctor about its use, (or pharmacist,) before drinking.

Posted by: DaveinTX. ( )
Date: October 27, 2017 04:26PM

Most of us are Vitamin D deficient. I for sure am. I was taking mass doses of OTC Vitamin D and levels never went up appreciably.

My doctor said the OTC tablets are in a form that your body cannot absorb readily, just like a lot of the OTC Calcium supplements are. So, he did a few things.

1. He put me on Cholecalciferol. This is a form of Vitamin D that your body CAN absorb, but is not OTC. Requires a prescription. I took 50,000 IU WEEKLY for 12 weeks, and then switched to 50,000 IU MONTHLY. My Vitamin D level is now above the minimum level after doing this. I still take it monthly.

2. He also said that we are our own worst enemy in some ways. We all are told to cover up in the sun and slather ourselves with massive levels of sunscreen at all times outside. Doing this to extremes actually limits the amount of Vitamin D you have by blocking your absorption of the suns rays.

3. He told me that I should use a sunlamp occasionally in the winter months OR go on two one week trips to the tropics in the winter months.

Bottom line..... go see the doctor and get the CORRECT forms of the vitamins you are lacking. And taking vitamin supplements when you are not deficient can be just as bad for you as being deficient. And especially to your wallet. These supplements are not cheap.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 27, 2017 04:41PM

How do you know that you are deficient in both Vitamin D and Iron? A friend of mine was found by her physician to have Iron Deficiency Anemia, and was prescribed iron tablets at an appropriate strength by that physician.

Date: October 27, 2017 06:23PM

I have the results of my blood test and it showed me what was low and what was high.

Date: October 27, 2017 06:36PM

Your physician and/or registered dietician would be the person to ask then.

Date: October 27, 2017 07:08PM

Well its not like doctors are readily available for the badass to look over the results right now.

Posted by: truenomore ( )
Date: October 27, 2017 06:33PM

For what it's worth -

If you are iron deficient you need to get sound medical advice as to why you are deficient.

Iron deficient males are not normal - and a proper work up needs to be performed to identify the cause or at least rule out potential serious causes.

Good luck.

Date: October 27, 2017 06:45PM

It shouldn't take much iron supplements to raise his iron levels to normal. Men require less iron than do women.

Anemia is a condition caused by iron deficiency.

Here's an article addressing SIX reasons that can cause anemia in men. It isn't as abnormal as you might think.

http://www.healthhype.com/6-causes-of-low-iron-anemia-in-men.html

From the Mayo Clinic, one of the causes for anemia includes:

"A diet lacking in certain vitamins. Having a diet that is consistently low in iron, vitamin B-12 and folate increases your risk of anemia."

That right there could explain Adam's anemia. Something as simple as that.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/anemia/symptoms-causes/syc-20351360

Date: October 27, 2017 07:12PM

What kind of problems can iron deficiency cause? Can it affect the way my body feels? I don't think i should start an iron supplement until i talk to a professional probably. What the hell is aenemia? What are the symptoms?

Date: October 27, 2017 11:53PM

a·ne·mi·a
əˈnēmēə/Submit
noun
a condition marked by a deficiency of red blood cells or of hemoglobin in the blood, resulting in pallor and weariness.

Otherwise stated: iron deficiency.

You haven't been feeling well. Anemia and vitamin deficiency will contribute to that. How much of it is the cause, who knows?

When you build up your immune system some of the other things going on may resolve themselves.

I've been anemic before. It just means low iron.

That's easy enough to remedy by diet and taking a supplement. Supplements make up for what you may be lacking in your diet - somewhat, not completely.

Date: October 28, 2017 12:38AM

Fatigue -- extreme fatigue. I wouldn't take anything other than the standard RDA of iron unless directed to do so by a physician. That's not something you want to do on your own.

Posted by: Paintingnotlogged ( )
Date: October 27, 2017 07:20PM

About why you feeling yuc k. Blech others with neck recovery don't have compromised oxygen cell transport like missing iron red hood cells are they empty just traveling around or just missing! Does each iron get a cell around it like a bubble when it's under water! Or set of iron. Hmm little golf clubs to Adam little irons for playing golf. Adam play s golf. Visualize loft irons in his golf bag. He's smiling when hes carrying it. Good hat.

Heal !! And play cards Adam play golf (again) drive golf carts carry lotta lita little irons to get the ball. Fun.

Vindicated you didn't feel good see -- not easy to respond bounce back fast from neck pains when you whirring like pedalling without gears trying to climb a hill on your bike whirring about oxygen deficient needing iron to transport. HA. ANSWERS A SIMPLE WAY to live and TO EXPERIENCE LESS SUFFERING aha more oxygen

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: October 27, 2017 10:01PM

I had a serious vitamin D deciciency and found a way to fix the problem and return to normal vitamin D levels in less than ninety days. This is a very unconventional method.

Before I say how, comes the why to the how. The human body does not distribute vitamin D efficiently, when injested. Even a mother's breast milk does not provide vitamin D to her baby (unless you're a cow). Our species is not designed to be capable of getting enough vitamin D orally, to meet our needs. During most of our development as a species, humans spent much of their time outside in the sun.

Doctors typically recommend to avoid getting any UVB rays from the sun. They claim that these are the cancer-causing rays. In larger doses (overdoses), that is true. But with only small amounts of sunlight in the summer, your body will produce up to 20000iu of vitamin D in roughly twenty minutes or less. Most oral doses of vitamin D are only a few hundred iu. In addition, when produced through the skin/sunlight method, vitamin D is extremely transportable throughout the body. Also, unless you live on the southern tip of Florida, you get next to zero UVB rays in the winter sun.

Go to a tanning salon where you can enjoy the process below in air conditioned comfort. Tell them you only want the beds with the UVB rays. UVA only burns the surface of the skin and produces no vitamin D. Make your sessions short with full body exposure to the rays. You do not want to get a tan. When you tan, the next session will require more time to get an equal amount of UVB rays, and will give you even more of a tan as a result. If you detect any tan after a session, instead of going twice per week, skip a day that week and reduce the amount of time in future sessions. Do not use any sun-block, and go twice each week. If the skin turns slightly pink without ever tanning, that is perfect. You may also recognize a familiar smell of your own sweat unique to a sunny day. One article I read even suggested not to shower for a few hours afterward because you can wash off some of the vitamin D. Actually though, the UVB rays go a few milimeters deep, and also produce vitamin D that deep in to the skin. In 90 days your vitamin D will be in the normal range.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2017 10:17PM by azsteve.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 27, 2017 10:06PM

Well, I have a deficiency too! Let’s just say psyllium husk fiber works wonders for the elderly. I love you, wanker! Boner.

Date: October 27, 2017 11:09PM

I am narrowing it down boner, the badass is going to get healthy. They will call me the healthy motherf#cking badass from now on or in the future. F#ckin a cotton, badass out.

Posted by: Joe the man ho & Brig the pig ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 01:01PM

I am anemic as well you could take the flinstones vitamins for iron like I do lol I also take an iron supplement but ya don't ever take three pills at once someone told me id be fine if I took that many once and it made me very sick I thought I was dying! I take two pills and I'm fine but ya I would definitely ask a doctor what the recommended dose for a male is cause females are usually quite a bit lower on iron then males are. Also ive tried the liquad iron supplement instead of the pills and I like that quite a bit better they told me it absorbs better than the pills it was also a bit easier on my stomach the only drawback is its a lot more expensive than the pills :( the liquads like 18 bucks and the pills are only like 3 bucks or something like that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.