Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 01:01AM

Physicists at CERN are working to determine why the equal amounts of matter and antimatter in the universe haven't annihilated each other.....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/wonder/new-findings-have-physicists-questioning-reality/vi-AAu3Flg?ocid=spartanntp

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 01:05AM

Because when they were still close enough SO that it would have mattered, they had not coalesced (for want of a better word) into those states of being.

Simple, his?

I did it on my Osborne 1.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 01:16AM

I go to sleep every night wondering if I'm just living in some kind of a software program. What is reality? Quantum physicists have a better grasp of it than religionists and the masses are starting to see it.

Date: October 26, 2017 01:17AM

I'm a corrupted file.

Posted by: captainklutz ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 01:35AM

I'm a little teapot...or Napoleon Blownapart...depends on the day of the week.

Posted by: Abdullahi Ibrahim ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 02:16AM

I am a wonderful, complex, sophisticated and mosaic creature... but amazingly still the unknown lies beyond the unexplored and within my existence. Comparing to our galaxy this tiny...tiny ultramicroscopic terrestrial planetary creature can be instantly good and/or bad, kind and/or cruel, happy and/or sad, strong and/or weak, generous and/or greedy, constructive and/or demolisher, progressive and/or regressive. The question is where lies the truth of its intricate and complex existence? is mother nature's play games or fabrication or beyond cosmic, galaxies and godly ( religionist)superpower?

Date: October 26, 2017 03:00AM

Quantum physics (QP) existed remotely and primordially before the existence of newborn quantum physicists in late centuries. A simple Qur'anic ( religionist- revealed before 1400 years) scientific evidence-based proof is the focal point of "Teleporting caption" of moving instantly the throne of Queen Sheba from her queen-ship- dome town to King Solomon's castle during his dynasty ...without using ship or any mechanical transportation mode isn't amazing?. Only scientists discovered the " Teleporting effect or mechanism" recently in our late centuries.

Date: October 26, 2017 03:37AM

In my opinion reality is a complex and the result of mixture of both balanced or unbalanced subjective and objective perception of the aspect of a matter. What is the difference between reality and truth?. It seems truth is more derived from true facts and verified findings. Reality is an initial perception based of evolving of unripe or immature process which is highly predicted to be true. The true reality can lie also within the scope of our sense or beyond ( metaphysically) as well. Then common sense is still based on our personalized perceptions of a situation or facts which can be disagreeable with others in any time.

Date: October 26, 2017 04:17AM

I would call symmetry parallelism or on otherwise balanced forces such electronic couples (positive and negative, sex couples, electric or magnetic negative and positive forces, day and night, gravity and anti-gravity, matter and antimatter, propulsive and repulsive actions. But still on the way ahead there must be a breaking boundary or definite limit with precise time whereby process or reaction stops irreversibly for example cell-death (apoptosis or suicidal action) or aging and similarly for star such as star deaths ( old stars) and formation of Black Hole matter. However, whatever time takes there will a chain of self irremediable natural or self-destructive reaction beyond our comprehension which is cosmic timely bounded ( as every reaction is) and contravene immortality and infinity laws, and preludes pre-apocalyptic events. The worse of all is that humans are inducing and indulging our planet self-destruction which seems not far away that much as we are experiencing its premonitory signs and symptoms.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 02:24AM

I’ve been questioning reality for years.

It does present a conundrum for the Big Bang. There was supposed to be an imbalance that allowed the early Universe to settle into one kind of matter. Oops, no imbalance.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 02:34AM

News flash- they aren't really questioning reality. They are questioning their previous explanations for reality. That's how science works. It's also called common sense. It is the opposite of religion.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 03:59AM

clarifications ( like that one) are good

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 06:19AM

All I know is, when I go outside on a dark night and look up to the stars, I KNOW I am a mere speck of sand on the shore on this tiny planet.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 09:54AM

I'm afraid that if I stop believing in gravity that I will be flung away into space by the earth's rotation.

Date: October 26, 2017 10:05AM

If you run fast enough, up a steep hill, in the exact proper direction, the three factors will come together for you and you can achieve escape velocity!

Would I lie to you?!

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 03:26AM

https://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v550/n7676/full/nature24048.html

It determined that the magnetic moment of the antiproton is identical to the magnetic moment of the proton to within 1.5 parts per billion. That is felt to mean that matter/antimatter asymmetry is not due to differences in magnetic properties of antimatter.

It does not mean that the asymmetry does not exist. It suggests that the asymmetry is due to some other factor as yet undiscovered.
https://www.inverse.com/article/37768-universe-should-not-exist-antimatter
“An asymmetry must exist here somewhere but we simply do not understand where the difference is,” continued Smorra in his statement. “What is the source of the symmetry break?”

https://cosmosmagazine.com/physics/universe-shouldn-t-exist-cern-physicists-conclude
"The universe’s greatest game of spot the difference goes on. The next hotly anticipated experiment is over at ALPHA, where CERN scientists are studying the effect of gravity of antimatter – trying to answer the question of whether antimatter might fall ‘up’."

Posted by: Politic ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 07:07AM

Explain this.
After billions of dollars spent on scientific research with cameras that can read a car registration plate from space, Osama Bin Laden (a threat to the worlds most powerful nation) at one time was allowed to escape detection by riding on a donkey.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 08:07AM

We should be careful correlating science with the decisions and priorities of bureaucracy and politics. The money-driven and value decisions of politics and bureaucracy impact the applications.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 09:03AM

I suppose the donkey didn't have a licence plate to be read from space.

Date: October 26, 2017 10:14AM

DARPA hadn’t perfected donkey butt recognition software.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 07:58AM

Ideas are matter.

What works like electrical circuits inside our brains are matter, connecting us like our thoughts to the world, and the Universe that surrounds us.

Anti-matter is the absence of life, not necessarily the annihilation of it.

CERN has been working on an anti-matter machine for years, the Large Hadron Collider that if it works according to plan, has the potential to turn our world as we know it into a Black Hole.

I'm very glad they haven't figured out how to make that work - and I'm betting that one day the Big Bang Theory will be replaced by a better understanding of how the Universe really works.

It's a stepping stone in science, but I question its reality as hard science. Because in theory it is still only theoretical science.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2017 07:59AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 08:30AM

Well, actually, ideas are energy...

And the LHC *does* work.
And no, it doesn't have the potential to turn our world into a black hole.

And anti-matter doesn't mean "anti-life." Had the asymmetry come out in favor of anti-matter, life would still be exactly as possible as it is now.

Date: October 26, 2017 08:59AM

You took out of context what I said. I didn't say anti-matter is "anti-life." I called it the "absence of life."

I believe there is a difference.

Date: October 26, 2017 09:22AM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You took out of context what I said. I didn't say
> anti-matter is "anti-life." I called it the
> "absence of life."
>
> I believe there is a difference.

OK.
Still incorrect, though. :)

Date: October 26, 2017 10:55AM

Date: October 26, 2017 11:43AM

Gotta get through Halloween & thanksgiving first! :)

Date: October 26, 2017 10:26AM

That’s like saying bolts with left handed threads are anti-life. If there are worlds without end, who’s to say some of them aren’t made from anti-matter? They just aren’t in our Universe. Our Universe could have an anti-matter twin in another dimension, with an anti-matter amyjo. I’d suggest not meeting in person.

Date: October 26, 2017 10:29AM

What school did the anti-matter Bullwinkle attend?

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 07:52PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> What school did the anti-matter Bullwinkle attend?

He attended the "Doesn't Matter High" and he recieved his BS

in sock puppetry.

Date: October 26, 2017 07:54PM

Wattsamatta U-

Date: October 26, 2017 08:37PM

captainklutz Wrote:
> Wattsamatta U-

Wattsamatta me.

Date: October 26, 2017 08:53PM

I don't know...whatsamatta you?

Youse on first?

Date: October 26, 2017 08:57PM

captainklutz Wrote:
> I don't know...whatsamatta you?
>
> Youse on first?

Whose on first?

Date: October 26, 2017 09:33PM

Third base....I missed my queue on I Don't Know

Date: October 26, 2017 08:59PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2017 09:00PM by saucie.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 09:35PM

I didn't say anti-matter is "anti-life." I called it the "absence of life."

So you understand the atheist point about "absence of belief" or "lack of belief"?

Date: October 26, 2017 08:05AM

Maybe because the forces of matter (life) are stronger than the forces of anti-matter (nihilation.)

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 08:54AM

Uhm, self preservation?

Wait, are matter and antimatter self aware?

Wait, if they are self aware does that make matter god and antimatter the devil.

Wait, in Mormonism antimatter would be the good side, right?

Done, I'm going to write a self help woo book about how half the universe wants us to succeed and the other half doesn't. You got to tap into that positive energy folks.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 09:36AM

Turns out the Zen Buddhists had it right all along. The Tao is real.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2017 09:37AM by koriwhore.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 10:52AM

Once again it is the religion scam question ... Why is there something rather than nothing ? Because god.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 11:22AM

It was really the god farticle after all.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 10:41PM

Nothing anti-matters anymore

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: October 29, 2017 10:35PM

For those who would like to learn more about quantum physics and non-dual reality and consciousness, here is a link to a very comprehensive site:

https://www.scienceandnonduality.com/product-category/store/

Date: October 29, 2017 11:12PM

I just learned that a theory regarding the matter v. anti-matter issue is that all the matching matter & anti-matter DID destroy itself, and that there were 'left over' pieces of matter, like one in a billion, compared to what was destroyed, and that's what now populates the universe.

But the theory doesn't explain WHY there was an imbalance...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.