Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 01:06AM

except maybe a "benediction" at something like graduation. I went to elementary school during the Fifties, and while we said the Pledge of Allegiance every day, I honestly don't remember ever having prayer in regular everyday classes.

Does anybody else? I'm talking about regular public schools.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 10:50AM

State law in Pennsylvania mandated the reading of ten verses of the New Testament without comment from the teacher, followed by recitation of The Lord's Prayer, each school day in homeroom.

A family named Schemp iirc sued Abington School District near Philadelphia over the practice. The Schemps were Unitarian, FWIW.

They won, and the practice stopped in PA in 1961. The case was appealed to the SCOTUS on First Amendment grounds. It was combined with a similar suit filed by Madeleine Murray OHare. That was the SCOTUS school prayer case that outlawed school prayer nationwide in 1963.

I was in ninth grade in PA when daily recitation of the Lords Prayer in public schools was stopped. So yes, it most certainly was a thing.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 06:53AM

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 09:57AM

Sure, because no man ever used a position of power to manipulate women into sex when there was prayer in schools.

Other than Joseph Smith. And tens of thousands of others.

Oops.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 11:11AM

One of my earliest childhood memories was getting to go to kindergarten in Orem with my brother who was a year older than me. I have no idea why I got to go but it was my very first day of school and I remember how exciting that was. But I specifically remember having the prayer and then the Pledge. Must have been 1959.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 11:13AM

Yup, if the kiddies were still praying in school, Harvey wouldn’t have been caught.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.