Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 03:46PM

A van careening downtown went down a BIKE PATH instead of the highway, a median divider away.

Cops shot the attacker after mowing MANY people over. Some are confirmed dead. The attacker is now in custody.

Police are confirming there is no active threat to area.

Some witnesses have reported an active shooter emerge from the van shooting at the bypassers on the bicycle path.

It may have started as an argument between two truck drivers that escalated resulting in one truck driving down the bike path, and the other one opening gunfire in a crowd of people.

It's breaking news. So far there are multiple fatalities being reported.

:(

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2017 03:50PM by Amyjo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 05:29PM

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 05:40PM

Been watching it for awhile. Some are saying terrorist related, some aren't saying much. Even or not it's radical Islam( Some are saying He shouted " Allah Akbar", but it's not confirmed), just causing fear in people is a form of terrorizing people.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 05:54PM

Gotta say, these drive-bys are losing their impact.

But I'm very sorry for the people and their families.

Date: October 31, 2017 06:32PM

This is now the 9th vehicle assault used by ISIS. Damn bastards.

Date: October 31, 2017 06:15PM

They're saying he's 29, middle eastern descent, came here in 2010.
This type of thing happens in Israel on a regular basis.
I plan on visiting there one day still. At least their airports and airlines are the safest, sad on how much money they have to spend because of terrorist over there.

Date: October 31, 2017 06:29PM

Surprisingly, Israel is one of the safest countries in the world to live in if you subtract petty street crime and violent crime (besides terror related.)

There are 'safe zone' places when touring Israel for tourists (and residents.) The other places are 'off limits.'

I'll probably go with a travel guide as part of a tour group when I am able to visit there.

Date: October 31, 2017 06:55PM

Yeah, I heard that. You can go out at all hours in most places, can't control the terrorist who do get in. I know it's very hard getting in the country.They can ask me all the questions they want when I get there ( airport security), I have nothing to hide, it makes me feel safe. Which areas are the targeted? I'm not interested in parts of large cities anyway. Chicago is the only big city I like, since I'm used to it already.NYC is no place that interests me, well, maybe Boston

Date: October 31, 2017 08:02PM

I lived in NYC for eight years, leaving 1997 for upstate NY. Would not go back for anything.

My apartment I rented there 20 years ago is today $1,000 more a month in rent. My mortgage where I live is less than the rent I paid 20 years ago.

Cost of living is so high there. Quality of life issues are comparable. Having worked two blocks from the WTC, I just have no desire to return to that place.

Israeli security is also perhaps the best anywhere in the world for passing through airport checks and traffic checks. They obviously cannot protect from all would be terrorists, but our own Homeland Security studies their methods to train our own security forces.

Date: October 31, 2017 08:44PM

I love the Mossad, they're like our Delta Force. When my husband was in the AF, they had a joint training exercise with different countries, they had a couple of Mossad guys there. I like how everyone in Israel has to serve. It's only a couple of years.
My father was retired Army, I remember him talking when I was a kid saying that Israel has one of the best military, and how it was a shame that they really couldn't defend themselves yhe way they should, because it would cause too much trouble, I never understood it until I got older

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 09:54PM

Yes they do have an excellent military .Very good at killing 34 American Seamen and Marines aboard the USS Liberty in 1967.Israel said it was a mistake . Those on the ship said it was deliberate.Take off your "Israel can do no wrong " goggles for about 2 seconds and look into what Israel really is.

Date: October 31, 2017 06:57PM

Perhaps if the Israeli government and most of its citizens would view the Palestinian citizens of Isreal as just that ,full citizens, rather than enemy combatants then these , as you put it, Terrorists" would not exist.Who are the real terrorists here ? Criticism of the Netanyahu government is not anti Semitic . It is criticism of Netenyahu and his policies of treating Arab citizens as sub human animals. He has no desire for peace because then he would lose his job.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 08:35PM

So you're saying that Netenyahu, a combat veteran, wants to keep Israel in a perpetual, perhaps permanent, state of war for political advantage. Sure.

Your argument also presupposes that if Israel somehow came to peace terms with the Palestinians, radical Islamists would be satisfied and thus cease jihad. Sure.

Moslems, across all cultures and national boundaries, have very high birthrates. Full citizenship for Palestinians in the occupied territories would be demographic suicide for the Jewish state. Progressive Europeans somehow do not grasp this, pinning their multicultural hopes on assimilation and inclusion. Sure.

Appeasement of these barbarians never works. I am encouraged by reports of Crown Prince Abdullah of Saudi Arabia making some small, but significant, steps towards social reform and disestablishment of Wahhabi radicalism (especially since New England's largest--Wahhabi, BTW--mosque is 1/4 mile from my home. The Tsarnev brothers were members.)

Date: October 31, 2017 09:02PM

You explained it very well. Israel is tiny enough, and they were in that area centuries before Islam was a religion, but I won't get into that. If they gave the Palestinians an inch, they'd take a mile, and keep moving closer to Israel. Yes, it would be different if they stopped at that, but they wouldn't.
They are always st war with each other, even before modern Israel was a state. They'll never stop fighting.
I just saw the Prince of Saudi on TV, hope people listen to him. There are a few Muslim countries that are friendly towards us.

Date: October 31, 2017 10:10PM

Saudi Arabia has one of the worst human right records of any nation on the planet . Executions for converting to another faith. The government doing little to nothing for a post oil economy for its citizenry.Modern slavery in the form of foreign workers from Pakistan. Do you admire the Saudi Royal Family? Is Kim Jong-un a cool dude too?

Date: October 31, 2017 10:27PM

I wouldn't think of arguing otherwise, Jimbo. My take is that the royal Saudi family has made a devil's bargain with the Wahhabi sect: The Saudi's gained political control over a territory rife with tribal hostilities and conflicting loyalties, the the Wahhabi clerics got religious hegemony. One very unfortunate part of this evil brew has been Saudi royal money being used to establish Wahhabi-based (or affiliated) mosques and madrassahs all over the world. (Re-read my post, above.)

The Wahhabi imams and clerics have a very strong power base in Arabia. I said, above, "I am encouraged" by Crown Prince Abdullah's measures. I chose that word carefully. If my hopes pan out, Abdullah will carefully, slowly, disestablish the Wahhabi cult and gradually loosen up the repressive, puritanical aspects of Saudi Arabia's civil-religious legal system, while keeping this important American ally politically stable.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 10:33PM

In other words, Islam in Saudi Arabia may follow the course taken by Christianity between the Reformation and ... today!

Date: October 31, 2017 10:57PM

In a way, somewhat, well...yes. If what I hope is happening is happening, we are observing the first small steps. As per my last post, there may be more we are not knowledgeable about. I consider myself "VERY guardedly optimistic." Perhaps progress will be measured by what we don't see (e.g.fewer or no beheadings) than by what we actually see.

Bear in mind, I'm talking about one nation state. Saudi Arabia has very quietly been fomenting radical Islam all over the world. Hopefully, this will cease. Perhaps Abdullah is finally aware of how dangerous and evil religion, even his own, is when politicized and militarized. There are so many others, notably Iran, which have different but dangerous agendae. Grounds for optimism: the internet is so much more effective than the Gutenberg press!

Date: October 31, 2017 09:45PM

So 13 year old Palestinian kids throwing rocks is the same as the weaponry of the IDF? Fair fight? I think not .

Date: October 31, 2017 09:55PM

They are pest and a danger. Most of the time the Israeli soldiers are just patrolling the streets and they try to walk away and the " kids" keep following them yelling at them , literally to their face and throwing stuff. They're also putting themselves in harms way by getting to close and their own people fire at the soldiers, their own kids getting hit by friendly fire

Date: October 31, 2017 06:25PM

Now it's been confirmed it's an ISIS attack, based on the earmarks.

Date: October 31, 2017 06:42PM

Probably someone who shouldn't of been in this country. Probably one disadvantage of living in a huge country, can't keep track of everyone who comes here,

Date: October 31, 2017 06:50PM

Yeah, well, I've got my eye on all ya'll!!

Biggest bunch of deviants and ne'er do wells as I've ever laid eyes on, or my name isn't what's on my driver license.

(I used to say "driver's license" but now I sound exotically elitist with just "driver license"... Feel free to jump on board.)

Date: October 31, 2017 06:53PM

Problem is, each one wants to back-seat drive whoever is driving.

Date: October 31, 2017 06:59PM

He ran into a bus of school children.

Shooting him in the butt(ocks) was too kind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2017 07:56PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 08:20PM

You gotta love that he isn't dead. Now he gets to go to trial. Then he gets to rot in prison.

He's going to make such a pathetic defendant. I hope he throws himself at the mercy of the court.

Date: November 01, 2017 07:33AM

He had no life before he got to America. Was radicalized before moving to America in 2010.

He'll be despised in prison.

Federal laws allow for death sentence in terror acts. Judges presiding over the cases "may" decide a different outcome depending on the laws of the state.

In the case of the Boston bomber, because Massachusetts has no death penalty the presiding judge chose Indiana as the sentencing state so he was able to give him the death sentence.

He's on death row now. He, like this dweeb, are both from Uzbekistan where they were radicalized in their youth.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 08:12PM

Certain political interests 'wrote off' NY state & much of the coasts as Too Liberal, their appeal is to mid-America & the south.

Darn Shame, all the way around; especially for the victims, but also others who are frightened & inconvenienced by these thugs masquerading as religious zealots.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 09:59PM

This guy killed innocent people. The other prisoners will make him pay for what he did, before he even gets executed ten years from now.

Date: October 31, 2017 10:12PM

New York state is reported by los interwebz (I tried to call the governor, but he was gone for the day) to have done away, in a backwards fashion, with the death penalty.

So I think we're all hoping that there's a federal law that he violated that has the penalty.

But the essence of your post is likely the heartfelt desire of most Americans: that his fellow inmates will deal with the situation.

Date: November 01, 2017 07:36AM

He'll likely receive the death sentence under federal sentencing guidelines for terror.

If it's anything like the Boston bomber, the judge may choose another court venue for sentencing. Massachusetts doesn't have the death penalty, as does New York. So the judge sentenced the Boston bomber in Indiana instead of where he committed the crimes.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 10:46PM

I want visit NYC and new York someday. maybe live in upstate. I know I'm politically incorrect when I say a terrorist attack is anything where at least one person dies. But that's the way I feel.

Date: November 01, 2017 07:38AM

The man is out of surgery and fully awake.

He told investigators he experienced NO REMORSE and IS PROUD of what he did.

Yep. Death Row is his future.

Date: November 01, 2017 11:51AM

I'm politically incorrect too

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 08:17AM

The driver wasn't armed with real weapons -- he had a paintball gun. He wanted to the police to kill him. My guess is he was self radicalized after he'd been in America for some time and became disillusioned with his life.

Date: November 01, 2017 09:57AM

From CNN,

"Uzbekistan ties
Authorities are sure to look at whether the suspect visited Uzbekistan since he moved to the United States seven years ago, CNN terrorism analyst Paul Cruickshank said.

"There has been a significant problem with jihadism in Uzbekistan," he said.

According to Cruickshank there are two large jihadi groups in the country. One of them is the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan, which is affiliated with ISIS.

In April, an Uzbek man was arrested after a truck attack killed five people in Stockholm."

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 12:38PM

Something to think about:

Man accused in New York terror attack had been ticketed 4 times on Nebraska roads
http://www.omaha.com/news/crime/man-accused-in-new-york-terror-attack-had-been-ticketed/article_47d1724c-befd-11e7-84b8-e707bfecdf24.html

Date: November 01, 2017 02:31PM

He came in under a "diversity" lottery program. Let's all celebrate diversity!

AmyJo, it's my understanding that the surviving Tsarnev brother was tried under Federal anti-terrorism program, which gets him (after all the taxpayer-funded appeals) the death penalty. He was not tried under Massachusetts homicide because Taxachusetts would rather pay for life sentences than just be done with the scum. Sentencing him in Indiana? Never heard of such a thing, trying him "here" and sentencing him "there."

(Edit) PS: The Tsarnevs came from Chechnia, in the Russian Federation. Russia had warned the FBI that the older one had visited Checnian rebels and was probably radicalized, but the FBI cleared him. The entire family lived on welfare, in public housing, got every benefit possible (including free college), and the mother was a professional shoplifter. Even though they were "impoverished refugees," they went home to Chechnia occasionally for vacation and to visit family. So much for generous American hospitality!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2017 02:35PM by caffiend.

Date: November 01, 2017 02:38PM

like David Duke, Jared Taylor, Richard Spencer et al...

Date: November 01, 2017 04:34PM

He was tried in Massachusetts under federal law.

For sentencing the courts looked elsewhere to a state where the death penalty exists. Hence, Indiana, where Timothy McVeigh, 9/11 terrorists, and others like the Boston Bomber are sitting it out on Death Row in Indiana. Why Indiana?

"Because Massachusetts does not have the death penalty, the judge was required to choose a state with the death penalty to determine the manner of execution. The judge chose Indiana, site of the federal death row, where the 3 federal executions in the modern era have taken place." (This is why ie, Indiana is the site for the federal death row...)

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/node/6394

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 04:57PM

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/boston-bombing-trial/boston-bombing-trial-jury-reaches-verdict-penalty-phase-n359731

Note from the story:
"A jury in Boston voted Friday to execute Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, refuting his lawyers’ argument that he was pulled into the plot by his radicalized Muslim older brother and overcoming Massachusetts’ popular opposition to the death penalty.

Tsarnaev said nothing when the verdict was announced at about 3:30 p.m ET. He sat in his chair and swallowed, and remained expressionless as U.S. District Judge George O'Toole thanked members of the jury, some of whom wept

After he is formally sentenced by O'Toole this summer, Tsarnaev will likely end up at the U.S. Bureau of Prison’s death row in Terre Haute, Indiana, where he is expected to embark on an appeals process that could last years before he is finally killed by lethal injection. At 21, he will become the youngest person on federal death row."

He was convicted in Boston and sentenced in Boston. Indiana simply happens to be where the federal prison is that houses federal death row inmates.

Date: November 01, 2017 07:23PM

He was tried and convicted in Massachusetts. Because it was a federal case and not a state case, the laws of Indiana were applied to allow the death penalty in the sentencing phase because execution isn't legal in Massachusetts.

Today he sits on death row in Indiana for the same reason.

Date: November 01, 2017 08:27PM

He was tried in federal court under federal law. No state law applies. He is in prison in Indiana because that is where the federal prison is. If there were a federal prison in Massachusetts that carried out the death penalty, then he could be executed there. Federal law would supercede state law in that case.
The only reason he is in Indiana is because that is where the federal prison that carries out federal death penalties is located. If that prison were in some other state, that is where he would be. State laws are irrelevant here.

Posted by: Baker ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 08:51PM

He's in CO, because the federal pen in IN wasn't adequate for a high profile terrorist.

Federal trial, federal sentence, federal death penalty, federal penitentiary. See heading "Legal Proceedings":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzhokhar_Tsarnaev

Date: November 01, 2017 08:55PM

The information I shared on this subject was from the death penalty information center in Washington DC.

That's the source that I cited.

""Because Massachusetts does not have the death penalty, the judge was required to choose a state with the death penalty to determine the manner of execution. The judge chose Indiana, site of the federal death row, where the 3 federal executions in the modern era have taken place." (This is why ie, Indiana is the site for the federal death row...)

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/node/6394

It's pretty clear if you can read.

Date: November 01, 2017 09:06PM

Your site is simply wrong.
A conviction in federal court must be punished per federal law, not per state law. State law is irrelevant for a federal conviction.
And as noted above, Tsarnaev is currently imprisoned in Colorado.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2015/07/17/tsarnaev-moved-to-supermax-prison-heres-how-hell-live

Date: November 01, 2017 09:39PM

Then take it up with the Death Penalty Information Center in D.C.

They stand by their information. I trust their expertise over yours.

"The Death Penalty Information Center is a national non-profit organization serving the media and the public with analysis and information on issues concerning capital punishment. Founded in 1990, the Center promotes informed discussion of the death penalty by preparing in-depth reports, conducting briefings for journalists, and serving as a resource to those working on this issue. The Center releases an annual report on the death penalty, highlighting significant developments and featuring the latest statistics. The Center also produces groundbreaking reports on various issues related to the death penalty such as arbitrariness, costs, innocence, and race. We offer a wide variety of multimedia resources, such as our free, online educational curricula and our podcast series, DPIC on the Issues."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2017 09:40PM by Amyjo.

Date: November 01, 2017 09:43PM

And the LDS church stands by their belief that Joe Smith translated gold plates.
Both are wrong.

Date: November 01, 2017 09:49PM

Whatever works for you.

Reading comprehension is not one of your skills, apparently.

Date: November 01, 2017 09:54PM

LOL.
My reading comprehension is just fine. Your source is just incorrect.

Date: November 01, 2017 09:58PM

You really just don't like being proven wrong. About anything.

The source is an expert think tank on the death penalty and sentencing. Your bad.

Date: November 01, 2017 10:02PM

An "expert think tank" that apparently knows nothing about the law.

Date: November 01, 2017 10:09PM

http://www.wmur.com/article/judge-formally-sentences-boston-marathon-bomber-to-death/5201366
Notice the story originates from BOSTON.
"2:15 p.m. (EDT)

A federal judge has formally sentenced Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to death for the 2013 terror attacks.

U.S. District Judge George O'Toole Jr. pronounced the sentence Wednesday in Boston. He was required under law to impose the jury's death sentence for the April 15, 2013, attack that killed three people and wounded more than 260 others"

Pronounced the sentence in BOSTON.

Quite simply, he was sentenced in BOSTON.

Date: November 01, 2017 09:14PM

It does read as you reproduced it. But it is simply wrong.

This was a federal trial, based on perceived violations of federal statutes, many of which provided for a death sentence. Why your citation says what is says is unknown to me, but it's wrong.

The document mentioned above it, on the website, is a link to the appeal. In the appeal, it confirms that the sentence being appealed is the federal death sentence. The location of the federal court has no bearing in imposing that sentence. The federal judge did not 'penalty-shop.

Your source is incorrect.

Date: November 01, 2017 08:17PM

If he was tried under federal law, in a federal court, and the federal allowed for the death sentence, there would be no need to 'penalty-shop'.

Once he was found guilty, the federal court sentenced him to die, and all federal death row inmates are housed in Terre Haute, to await their sentence.

Date: November 01, 2017 09:50PM

I'm not so concerned as to where he presently incarcerated, but rather his ultimate destination--and the sooner the better!

Question: why do high-profile dirtbags like this get top-of-the-line legal representation, at taxpayer expense, but your average street thug gets some 3rd-rate public defender from some mediocre law school? McVeigh's defense cost $15M by one estimate, but the Federal judge in Boston refused to allow the Tsarnev defense costs to be released. Probably millions. We also spent thousands upon thousands to fly his family back from Chechna and put them up in 1st class hotels for the trial. His mother had an active warrant for felony larceny (she was a professional shoplifter while living on generous Taxachusetts welfare), but was never taken into custody.

Date: November 01, 2017 10:11PM

Would you prefer pre-determined trials with pre-determined outcomes as in Russia?

If someone is found guilty after having the best defense possible then you know they had a fair trial and we have a justice system that works.

http://www.msnbc.com/melissa-harris-perry/watch/everyone-deserves-a-defense-no-matter-how-indefensible-they-seem-33681987651

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.