Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 09:54PM

Did this just slip past me, or did our old ward not have Trunk-or-Treat this year?

Has this been officially discontinued?

Why? Or is this a stupid question.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: yamsi ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 10:11PM

The ward house across the street from me had trunk or treat day. Started at about 5 pm and finished at about dark.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 12:24AM

Never heard of this. I would of drove by the church to see if they had it.They do have a lot of SUVs in the parking lot on Sunday, so they probably have a lot of kids. The fire department had something though.

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 12:54AM

Alive and well in the San Clemente Stake in The OC. They did it last Friday night.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 01:35AM

I see other church(es) here have it promoted; couldn't give less than a rip about churchco & their sheeple, Honestly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2017 01:35AM by GNPE.

Date: November 01, 2017 02:41AM

Mormonism is a forbidden subject with my TBM daughter and her family, and they are usually very active. That's the only reason I care. My daughter and husband hate Trunk or Treat (he refuses to go), so I was wondering.... Good news--our ward had one last Wednesday, and my TBM family members deliberately didn't go! They think it is just waaaay too much candy, and overkill of Halloween, when you add the school Halloween parade and party, and real trick-or-treating, and several October birthday parties, and making the costumes, etc. The cult would like its members to ditch Halloween altogether, but it seems that families in our SLC neighborhood are all into Halloween, big-time. We ran out of candy, and had to turn out the lights. Next year, we'll double the amount.

My Ultra TBM son-in-law says Trunk-or-treat is "unnecessary." Maybe someday he'll realize that donating his family's time and money to LDS, Inc. is unnecessary. I'll never give up hope!

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 04:16AM

We had it here. I find it an utterly antisocial practice. If the members walked through neighborhoods distributing invitations to non-Mormons (and especially not asking thm to bring candy), I'd feel better about it. A few of the members invite non-member neighbors, but those are a very few. It's a gathering for the righteous with the purpose of keeping the riff-raff out. Then, on the actual night of Halloween, the Mormons can either lock their doors and turn off their porch lights, pretending not to be home, or they can take their children out trick-or-treating for the non-members' candy while giving out none themselves because they already shot their wad on trunk-or-treat.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 09:45AM

It was never a thing directed from the COB. It just kind of happened in a few areas and spread out. Always a local thing.

Question for scmd: do some LDS people opt out of normal Halloween after the Trunk-or Treats?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2017 09:48AM by slskipper.

Date: November 05, 2017 11:47PM

slskipper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was never a thing directed from the COB. It
> just kind of happened in a few areas and spread
> out. Always a local thing.
>
> Question for scmd: do some LDS people opt out of
> normal Halloween after the Trunk-or Treats?

I can't account for every family, but most of those I know do both. They get more candy and double use of the costumes.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 07:19AM

"Question for scmd: do some LDS people opt out of normal Halloween after the Trunk-or Treats?"

That's what I thought, here in UT (SLC area), we did not have a lot of kids this year.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 10:09AM

The local ward in my SL County neighborhood advertised it several times with flyers and it must have worked. We had about 25 trick or treaters, total. Since I'm trying to avoid sweets as much as possible, I am throwing away quite a bit of candy...and that is a big deal to this choco-holic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2017 10:09AM by gemini.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 12:54PM

Nope. In Sandy Utah, they had Trunk or Treat on Oct. 25th for some weird reason. They left a little 2"x 4" note on everyone's door.

Posted by: Joe the man ho & Brig the pig ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 01:33PM

I never really liked the whole trunk or treat crap going door to door was so much more fun to me as a kid walking around to peoples trunks ugh so lame! It seemed like when they started the whole trunk or treat thing we got far less trick or treaters :( lame does the morg even have to ruin Halloween?! :( although I DID hear my mom say she thought she heard that they weren't going to be doing trunk or treating as much anymore. And I don't think they did it in our town yesterday and they usually always do so HOPEFULLY they have stopped it!

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 11:24PM

I see more Mormons outside of Utah (at least the ones I know) do trunk or treat than in Utah. Wanted to add, I haven't met a Mormon that that thinks it is overdone.

I don't think it's a bad idea either, especially if you live in a rural area. It should just be more inclusive.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2017 11:27PM by abby.

Date: November 06, 2017 12:05AM

abby Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see more Mormons outside of Utah (at least the
> ones I know) do trunk or treat than in Utah.
> Wanted to add, I haven't met a Mormon that that
> thinks it is overdone.
>
> I don't think it's a bad idea either, especially
> if you live in a rural area. It should just be
> more inclusive.

I'm cool with trunk-or-treat being more inclusive, especially in rural areas.

Where I live, there's an impoverished and somewhat seedy neighborhood maybe eight miles from here. The children trick-or-treat at a nearby university, where many of the students who can afford to do so stock up on candy for the kids, but it's just not that great a take in a university dorm, and many of the students are off pursuing their own frivolity. The families then truck their children into my neighborhood or into similar neighborhoods.

It used to bother me to have children not from my area trucked in for trick-or-treating, but my wife pointed out just how terrible we would feel if one of those little kids were hit by crossfire in some gang warfare or were otherwise harmed. I had safe areas to trick-or--treat when I was a child, as my children do now.

I do wish the families would park in one location and walk their children through the entire neighborhood, circling back to their cars, as opposed to following their children by car as the kids go door-to-door to get the goods, then following them by car on to the next home. Such a practice is bad for the environment, but, more importantly, it's dangerous. I'd hate for some little child to be hit by a car. Beyond that, if at least one parent isn't with the children, the supervision really isn't adequate. Even in a supposedly safe neighborhood such as mine, bad things can happen, especially on Halloween night.

All things considered, give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning for candy. They're just as deserving as any other children whether they live in affluent neighborhoods or in slums. If I reach the point that I cannot shell out a few extra bucks for candy for needy children, I'll either work more hours or move to a lower-mortage area.

Date: November 02, 2017 05:30AM

Mormons don't like to do nice things for non-Mormons. At Trunk or Treat, my Mormon neighbors give out full-sized candy bars to the select few known Mormon kids. On Halloween night, they turn off their lights. I don't like this, because having all the lights off on the Mormon end of the street, deters some of the children from passing all those houses and coming down our street at all.

My Mormon neighbors used to get furious at the little dark-skinned families that would drive into our neighborhood, obviously from across town, and carpool in station wagons and vans. This happened to us in our California neighborhood too. I always gave them double the candy for all their trouble. They always had costumes. They probably got enough candy to last through Christmas. The Mormon neighbors wouldn't answer their doors to these kids.

OT, but my fanatic TBM mother-in-law lived in California, near the Mexico border, and she would bring her old clothes to Utah, when she would visit her daughter. She didn't want the Mexicans to get her old clothes. She told us she preferred to donate clothes to the Mormons in Utah. I didn't tell her that Deseret Industries, at that time, sold most of those clothes in Mexico, anyway. LOL.

The Mormons I knew had a very un-Christian attitude.

Posted by: Redneck Wonderland ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 07:15AM

Our town in Southern Alberta didn't do trunk or treat. It hasn't the 15 years I've lived here. There is a a rural farm area 15 minutes away that does, I would guess it's probably 20-30 families. It makes sense though in a case like that.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 12:24AM

Our ward didn't even invite us this year. I think it has to do with the big blow up my younger brother(who is moving in the middle of the month) had the home teachers and High priests this summer...

Either that or we're being shunned...

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 05:24PM

With the lack of participation in my neighborhood of the actual Halloween holiday, I thought the mormon parents just burnt out on Halloween activities, ward parties, Trunk-n-Treat..

Not a lot of kids in my neighborhood this Halloween.

Were as, our current president, when he took office, his first Executive Order was to build a wall between us and Mexico.....

if I was president, my first E.O. would be to make Halloween the last Fri of Oct.

My 2nd E.O. would be to dump Daylight Savings completely..

Posted by: samwitch ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 06:07PM

In the mostly-Mormon town where I live, the big draw is Main Street businesses doing trick-or-treat on Halloween afternoon. Idk if wards do trunk-or-treat here or not; my family doesn't include young kids and the neighbors know this is a non-Mo household, so no invitations.

For what it's worth, there were way more trick-or-treaters this year than last, including a decent number of high-school students. I was pleased to give away most of the candy I bought and all the door-knockers were polite.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.