Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: psychic ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 05:13PM

I once needed a job BADLY. I lived in Tacoma, Washington state, during the late 1980s, when the city was in "depression" levels of unemployment? Why? Tacoma was a blue collar manufacturing city, and all the manufacturing companies went to China; save only a few. In any case, I needed a job.

I had heard about a Mormon company that made dramatized cassettes and animated videos, and they hired sales people (mostly men) to go around and "sell" these to Mormons door to door. Desperate, I went to their 3 days sales school in Ogden, Utah. WOW! They basically taught us to use sneeky and dishonest means of having little old ladies buy many hundreds of dollars of worth of videos and tapes, but to make them "think" they are only buying one or two! Then, the "legal team" of this company would SUE the old Mormon ladies when they complained ("I only wanted one video, not 20 of them!").

Even though I was desperate for a job, I could NOT do this! This was a scam. Selling widow Mormon ladies 400 dollars worth of videos and tapes, when the ladies thought they were buying one or two, by having them sign long complicated "contracts" without letting them read the contracts.

Another example of the Mormon pursuit of wealth, by any means necessary. It sickened me, and led me one step further out of the Mormon door. I went back home, broke.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 05:24PM

Mormons are winners

Date: November 06, 2017 06:26PM

As they were teaching us how to rip off old Mormon widow women, I asked two people there about this, and they replied:

"This is standard practice for the sales industry"

and

"Just keep telling yourself how much money you're gonna be making, and it will be fine."

Bert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mormons are winners

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 06:35PM

I think that ethics is a fair way to judge a company. I did sales for both a generally ethical and a highly ethical company, and I preferred the latter. The secret is having a good quality, competitive product, if you do, then it will largely sell itself. No need to trick anyone.

My brother had a great career with a highly ethical company. He had previously worked for a company without those high standards, and I know that he was unhappy there.

You have to know when your job does not pass the smell test, and either find a way to change things, or walk away.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: November 07, 2017 04:46PM

The statement quoted by psychic: "This is standard practice for the sales industry" has proven basically true in my experience for most of the companies I work for.

PROFIT=getting MORE for something than it is worth (end of story).

For a very short time in my life I sold Encyclopedia Britanica. The most common and successful selling technique (and I was a doubter during my training) revolved around -- get the couple into an argument against each other (typically about affordability) ... and the salesman was 90% of the way to the sale. Doubting but eager I quickly learned how frequent this scenario actually occurred. That technique was what I can attribute most of my sales to.

And to this day -- decades later -- I still remember my price cut-off and how low I could go before I'd make ZERO dollars. I NEVER let that happen, of course, on principles of survival of the fittest.

The truth of life: Business = Scam ... and there's very little you can do about it.

Date: November 07, 2017 05:00PM

Well, in your situation, did the couple who was buying the books KNOW the final price? The old ladies who were signing contracts they did not read, or if read they did not understand, thought they were buying one or two videos/tapes when in fact they were legally promising to purchase the entire inventory.

weeder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The statement quoted by psychic: "This is standard
> practice for the sales industry" has proven
> basically true in my experience for most of the
> companies I work for.
>
> PROFIT=getting MORE for something than it is worth
> (end of story).
>
> For a very short time in my life I sold
> Encyclopedia Britanica. The most common and
> successful selling technique (and I was a doubter
> during my training) revolved around -- get the
> couple into an argument against each other
> (typically about affordability) ... and the
> salesman was 90% of the way to the sale. Doubting
> but eager I quickly learned how frequent this
> scenario actually occurred. That technique was
> what I can attribute most of my sales to.
>
> And to this day -- decades later -- I still
> remember my price cut-off and how low I could go
> before I'd make ZERO dollars. I NEVER let that
> happen, of course, on principles of survival of
> the fittest.
>
> The truth of life: Business = Scam ... and there's
> very little you can do about it.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: November 07, 2017 04:58PM

If Business = scam, think how much scamming the LDS church is doing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.