Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 09:28PM

ineffective for them , shouldn't it be the same for the morg!?? It's not their still people going to door selling vacuums etc in the 1950-till the twenty first century!?? You hardly see them anymore...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 11:02PM

Right on!

I think the morg has come to the same conclusion, but they won't admit it. They have reduced the number of missions, increased the use of media and call centers, and have developed more stringent interview questions. Most likely they are trying to drop the number of missionaries because it neither keeps the kids in the church, nor yields many converts.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 11:05PM

What sold it for me, that they recognize that tracting is not useful, is how much time they give the mishies to do 'service' and to work with the inactive.

Back in the day, there was no 'service' and there was no working with the inactive. There were souls to save! Back then vacuum cleaners were still popular!!

Posted by: mightybuffalo ( )
Date: November 07, 2017 12:52AM

In my mission door to door was almost shunned. Our MP was all about working through members and actually discouraged the old sales tactic. He made into a last resort sort of thing to do. So much so that I can count on my hands the number of hours I spent knocking doors for the entire 2 years. State side in texas.

Posted by: psychic ( )
Date: November 07, 2017 02:58AM

California San Jose Mission, 1983-85. Knocking on doors every day, even on Sundays. Thousands of them. Result? I had "zero" baptisms for knocking on doors. "one" baptism from a woman we met at a mall who "fancied" my companion. A black family was later baptized, that we found via knocking on doors. I doubt they remained active in an all white Ward.

I sent letters to the First Presidency and 12 long ago, and recommended to them that Missionaries spend half their missions in "service" projects: things that could actually "help" people, like Habitat for Humanity, Salvation Army, etc.

The Church has PLENTY of money, and can "proselyte" via newspapers, radio, TV, but the Church rarely does this, because the response is so poor. People just don't want to read a BORING book (Book of Mormon), about elephants and honeybees bring brought to America on sail-less barges lighted by magical stones. THE BOOK OF MORMON in a late 18th century "book" written for people in the late 1700s and early 1800s. It does not "fit" anywhere else. It is too ABSURD to be taken seriously by educate people.

mightybuffalo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In my mission door to door was almost shunned. Our
> MP was all about working through members and
> actually discouraged the old sales tactic. He made
> into a last resort sort of thing to do. So much so
> that I can count on my hands the number of hours I
> spent knocking doors for the entire 2 years. State
> side in texas.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 07, 2017 02:51AM

Even the Girl Scouts in my community don't go door to door to sell their cookies anymore. It's a broken sales model.

Date: November 07, 2017 09:27PM

In my area, they sell them in front of Smith's or Wal-Mart.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 07, 2017 11:58AM

Posted by: Journey ( )
Date: November 07, 2017 12:34PM

I actually had a couple of JW women come knocking on Saturday morning. It was a pleasant conversation. They asked if I was a bible reader, and I told them I was an atheist and my husband is a mormon. They were pretty surprised! I said we make it work, and wished them a nice day.

A few years ago I probably would have been very rude to them, but the anger has healed.

Posted by: jstone ( )
Date: November 07, 2017 09:38PM

I was on the tail end of business contacting, where you go into people's places of work and try to get them interested. Even our MP said this was just a matter of waving the flag and gave the impression that it was a waste of time. It was.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 12:19AM

I would love to see a door-to-door vaccuum salesman it would be a breath of fresh air.

Date: November 08, 2017 12:20AM

Maybe in the AMC series "Mad Men"!??

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 12:22AM

Badassadam1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would love to see a door-to-door vaccuum
> salesman it would be a breath of fresh air.

I believe there's still a Kirby franchise working in northern Utah.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 01:49PM

Now I am seeing Jehovah's witnesses at many events and school campuses. Sadly they have not stopped selling their garbage, they just changed their tactic.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.