Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 12:25AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 12:30AM

Oh,yeah!

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 12:32AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one, Bona Dea

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 12:34AM

Hell yes. Trainwreck!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 04:52AM

Of course! She had us going for several weeks.

Note to those wondering what the hell we're talking about: "Stormy" was a poster some years ago who kept us spellbound for several weeks as she described her dramatic misfortunes - until the inconsistencies began to stack up and she was exposed as a fraud.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 05:20AM

Is the person who posted as herself and then her husband and then finally the sister got in on it as well until it was found out to all be posting from the same computer?

Date: November 23, 2017 04:29AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 05:25AM

Oh, yes. I've been thinking about Stormy lately as well.

The one good thing about Stormy, was dang, that woman could spin a yarn. Rather like our friend, Joseph Smith.

Posted by: NR ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 07:10AM

Yes!!!! Hahaha I was totally fooled by Stormy. It proves I was still so naive and gullible.

Date: November 22, 2017 07:37AM

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 08:09AM

Yep. (For a second there, I forgot that it had all been a fraud. I almost asked how she was. LOL)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2017 08:14AM by Greyfort.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 08:52AM

As I recall, one of the "participants" in her soap opera was supposed to be in New Jersey. The pace and drama of the three intertwined stories kept getting faster and faster.

Then one morning Stormy briefly swapped the stories between two of the characters. I think she caught her error in a few minutes, and first tried to edit the error out, and unswap the stories. Several people had seen the original posts, so she then concocted some story about how the error wasn't really an error, but some people were getting suspicious before that event, and the Stormy saga, which had had posters hanging on the edge of their keyboards for weeks, crumbled in the next day or two.

It was the talk of the town.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2017 08:53AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 09:08AM

It was a gullibility test.

Date: November 22, 2017 09:10AM

And a surprising number fell for it, including me :-/

It was such a GOOD story.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 11:42AM

This is the real Stormy,

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 12:46PM

I don't remember her and I've been here since 2002. There have been so many unique people come and go but the one I remember best because he was so hated by everyone went by initials... and he hated gays . Two of my good friends were here at the time, TLC and Shakjula and he was always picking on them and everyone else
was arguing with him because he was so awful to them....

Does anyone remember him? Probably Cabbie does... It was so much
fun then... I can't remember his name... damn.

Anyway he was finally banned from here. No one missed him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2017 12:47PM by saucie.

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 12:58PM

Date: November 22, 2017 01:04PM

BrightAqua Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

It Was the Colonel !!!!!!!!! Yay Yay for you BrightAqua... in spite of the hateful Colonel... those days were like Golden, they were so much fun.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2017 01:05PM by saucie.

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 01:12PM

Never a dull moment.

I've been here for almost 20 years, but I don't post much anymore.

Date: November 22, 2017 01:16PM

I remember you. I don't post like i used to and I only came back

because I had told elderolddog about it and he was an Exmo and

was interested.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 01:24PM

I had to beg you to tell me! You tortured me for weeks, promising to give me the URL and then changing your mind!!! It was hell!!!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 01:12PM

Oh GAWD! He was awful...

Date: November 22, 2017 01:17PM

Oh I'm so glad you remember too. You're right he really was awful.
Everybody hated him.

Date: November 22, 2017 01:37PM

I think it was more like everybody reacted negatively to his hatefulness. It was really bad!

Date: November 22, 2017 01:42PM

Devoted Exmo Wrote:
> I think it was more like everybody reacted
> negatively to his hatefulness. It was really bad!

You're right... it was horrible. I felt so bad for my friends here that he was picking on. The beauty part was that alot of
people here at that time stepped up and defended my friends.. that was really heartwarming.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 03:36PM

I cannot believe it was that long ago. I've been here for ages. Much, much longer than I was associated with Mormonism. Crazy. But in a good way.

I tangled with the Colonel too. For those who weren't here then, as saucie says he was rabidly anti-gay and voiced it from a Christian perspective. Both points really got to me as (1) I had been an EV myself (middle of the road sort though, not the truly fundy ones) and didn't like the seamy underbelly to show - actually wasn't that aware of it before then and (2) I loved, loved, loved TLC (Tom Clark) a gay man who posted from his perspective, in a time when those issues weren't, in general, getting as much attention or recognition or progress (or acceptance) as now. Tom is a fabulous writer, he shared incredible experiences from his BICness, I still remember his amazing, and unique, mission to Italy, and he was totally beautiful inside and out.

And CTK was rabidly anti-TLC et al and it was hard to watch. I so wish the best of those exchanges had been archived (posts/pages timed out back then and unless something was archived posts became cyberdust at some point). I don't remember TLC being confrontational but I could be forgetting. I do recall his incredible gift for sharing his experiences as a gay BIC Mormon in such a heartfelt and poignant way. I wanted to meet TLC. Heck, I wanted to marry him! (But wait, that wouldn't have worked out so well, for either of us). CTK, otoh, made me come to dislike EV Christianity, at least his brand of it, and I had still liked my church at that point. (I know you can't let one person or experience turn you off something valuable to you but hey, sometimes if the right buttons are pushed it happens).

So what I mean about CTK and EV'ness for me is that, although I obviously didn't make forever choices due to one internet poster I didn't care for, he missed his purpose with me, if that was his intent, in that rather than converting me to his POV, he estranged me due to his predictable and frequent rants arising from the most controversial and unappealing parts of radical fundyism.

He disappeared abruptly at some point. I think he may have passed away. I don't have any proof of that, just an impression. Of course, you can't totally judge someone only by their postings but it is a component of who they are. I never wanted to run into CTK. TLC, otoh, ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2017 03:39PM by Nightingale.

Date: November 22, 2017 07:23PM

Hi Nighty... those were some fun times we had here and I'm always glad to see you when you show up.

Tom is on Face book if you'd like to be his friend there,of course you probably know that already... Oh and I can't believe how much time has gone by either... Yikes.

Date: November 22, 2017 09:10PM

You too, sauce, always fun. Yeah, those were the days! Wild and crazy.

I didn't know about Tom on FB. I don't use it as I'm not that plugged in. I keep wanting to try it out. Then I heard it's passe so I was going to wait for the next thing. But it would be fun to look Tom up. And see if I can figure out how it all works.

Date: November 22, 2017 09:26PM

It's not passe yet... I bet Tom would be so glad to see you again. There are alot of exmo's that were our friends that are now on Facebook. If you don't like it you could just leave.

Anyway its always good to see you Nighty.

Date: November 22, 2017 11:28PM

Posted by: laurad ( )
Date: November 23, 2017 12:18PM

I remember him. Yeah, he was a d*ck.

Date: November 22, 2017 01:37PM

Does anyone know what year Stormy was here?

Date: November 22, 2017 01:45PM

Devoted Exmo Wrote:
> Apparently, it was 6 years ago.
>
> http://exmormon.org/phorum/search.php?2,search=,au
> thor=stormy,page=1,match_type=ALL,match_dates=0,ma
> tch_forum=2,match_threads=0

I love you DevotedExmo... thank you.

Date: November 22, 2017 02:15PM

Love you too, you saucie girl!

Date: November 22, 2017 03:20PM

I didn't read much of it. I couldn't relate the story she told but I remember her unveiling. Some sharp-eyed poster/s noted that the characters in the tale got their lines mixed up with each other's. Haha - very good spotting!

I agree it's awful to try and take advantage or fool or whatever people on a site called recovery.

Even so, I'm in the benefit of the doubt camp - can't leap to judgement unless we don't care about hurting somebody through some misunderstanding or mistaken assumptions.

Date: November 22, 2017 03:29PM

I think the benefit of the doubt is important.

Date: November 22, 2017 09:11PM

Rushing to judgement is often a mistake. Gotta walk a mile in somebody else's moccasins, as the song says.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2017 09:16PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 09:52PM

I was the one who caught it! Late at night IIRC. She inadvertently mixed up two of her characters. Of course a number of board members had figured her out long before I had, and I think admin was also keeping an eye on her at that point.

I was so disappointed that we never got to the story about the wedding. lol

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 02:19PM

"As the World Turns" Stormy? "Days of Our Lives" Stormy? "Peyton Place" Stormy? Oh, Yes. I remember her well.

If ever a show needed new writers it was hers. I was totally sucked in at the beginning, but little by little you have to say, "Hey. Wait a minute . . . "

Date: November 22, 2017 02:27PM

I wasn't here during the Stormy period, but I really think that

we as exmo's would believe because we were so naieve and gullible

and never considered that someone would go to the trouble to make

up crap and then discuss it on a recovery from mormon site. I

mean, who does that? She must have been nutz.

Date: November 22, 2017 02:29PM

Definitely some pathology there. I don't think that was her first RFM hoax either.

Date: November 22, 2017 02:39PM

I was thinking the same thing.... and wondering if she might

have come back with another one.

Date: November 22, 2017 02:54PM

It wouldn't surprise me too much. I don't know if it matters. I tend to give the benefit of the doubt, but in any case, if there seems to be a desire only to stir up stuff without seeming to want any real help, it sets off my spidey sense.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: November 23, 2017 11:15AM

hmmmm.....

Date: November 22, 2017 03:00PM

Well if your trusty spidey sense goes off again tell me !!!!!!

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 09:58PM

Thanks, Soft Machine, for enlightening those of us, like myself, who have no recollection of Stormy. I might add, however, that IMO, it would be an apt moniker for a few current posters here :)

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: November 23, 2017 11:13AM

I remember her/him/them well...

The last time I referred to a post being Stormy-esque...I was told to stop, otherwise the whole thread would get zapped.

Do you think another threader/poster(s) are reliving this episode??

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.