Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: December 13, 2017 11:24PM

It is hard to listen to them. I haven't for a few months now. Used to sing along to various songs, quite often, but just don't have the heart anymore. No song in my heart to sing about anything. Nothing is funny, no baby Jesus... learning to regroup holiday type of thinking.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: December 13, 2017 11:36PM

The only music I like at Christmas is sung by non religious singers and it's always been that way. I would even listen to boring classical music on the radio rater then listen Mormon music. I don't live in Utah.

I know there are one posters on this board who were so tbm that the only listened to mormon Christmas music

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 13, 2017 11:47PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 12:20AM

When I was a missionary, we were only allowed to listen to the MoTab.

I had many recordings of good music, including classical stuff, that I would listen to secretly. The only two I would play openly were Beethoven's Ninth and the Messiah. When people complained, I said that the choral parts were the MoTab. None of the other missionaries knew that I was lying.

Music was one of the leading indicators of my apostasy. How could God ever forbid such stunning art? Music that brought at least as much spirit as the scriptures?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 09:25AM

Not one bit.

I never liked the MoTab. Ever. Even when I was an indoctrinated TBM youth. I'd see the sea of white, probably-related faces on the TV broadcasts, and hear the uninspiringly-arranged, bland singing, and think it was an embarrassment to my church.

Now it's just an embarrassment.

Posted by: pugsly ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 10:01AM

Not at all.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 10:17AM

Not even a little.

I always HATED MoTab. Their music is campy, their arrangements are watered down, they lack musical balance, and their town is harsh and "shouty." Even at the height of my TBM-ness, I didn't care for MoTab. I loved the BYU choirs, though, and do sometimes listen to them.

Posted by: Weedo ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 10:18AM

Interestingly enough, when I have out of town guests come in, one of the things I do, maybe one or two times per year, is take them to the Sunday morning broadcast at the old Tabernacle. Other than fighting off the hordes of missionaries to get into or out of the building, my guest quite enjoy it and I now say, yes, I went to church 1 or 2 times per year!

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 12:05PM

Not really. I have a lot of other Christmas music that I like more.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.