Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon4This ( )
Date: December 13, 2017 07:47PM

I refuse to be buried in the robes of the holy priesthood.
Facebook is to close my account.
I will not be dead dunked to connect the family's eternal tree.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 13, 2017 08:08PM

Anon4This Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I refuse to be buried in the robes of the holy
> priesthood.

Unfortunately, you [effectively] lose the right to make your own decisions about your body the moment you die. After that, it is up to whoever still alive has the recognized power to make those decisions.

> I will not be dead dunked to connect the family's
> eternal tree.

Again unfortunately, after you die you have no legal right to refuse dead dunking...if a dead person had that right, then no Jews, and few celebrities or celebrity-connected persons (Obama's deceased mother, as an example), would ever be dead dunked.

Also: wills are usually ineffective for these kinds of requests because they are not even "read" until days or even weeks after the death occurs---by which time, the dead body has already been dealt with in whatever ways your EFFECTIVE next-of-kin has decided. Unfortunately for all of us, it is not in your power to legally assert your wishes about your own body after your death...mostly, you are depending on the good will of the person who assumes/inherits those responsibilities.

Your real life, most effective strategy is...

...create a Living Trust (Google this for further information), in which you designate a certain person to carry out your wishes about both your estate and your wishes...but whether that person actually DOES carry out those directives and wishes of yours is up to them (not you).

After your death, you have no legal right to protest their decisions, and no recourse if they choose to do the very things you most object to.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2017 08:13PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Anon4This ( )
Date: December 13, 2017 08:16PM

Actually, yes I do have the right and have already specified to my relatives the requests that I listed in the original post. These are already written in our will which, I am sure, the closest relatives will be reading it far before the ink dries on my death certificate.

My significant other hates mormonism and will see that my requests are carried out.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 13, 2017 08:32PM

They will dead dunk you. They will be ever so proud of themselves when they do it.

There is no legal formula that will prevent them from doing so. You should join ranks with Amyjo, who wants to enact some kind of legislation to prevent the church from carrying out these silly acts.

If such an action bore some kind of fruit, the church would simply have the dead dunking deed done in a foreign temple, where American law meant nothing.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: December 15, 2017 11:49AM

elder dog, you are correct. They did it to my brother.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 09:17AM

Not a one.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 09:34AM

One of the things that "shook" my wife was dealing with a deceased member while she was RS President. The woman who died was the only church member in her family, but had not been active for many years. However members of the church stepped up and offered to assist in the funeral/burial preparation as she was a member, and obviously as it was a woman, my wife was tasked with the responsibility of overseeing getting her ready for burial. Several other female members who had known this woman back when she was active, really took charge. Anyway, the family had requested she wear some Lutheran inspired jewelry that had been family heirlooms. However the good members dictated that since it was "against church policy" to bury members wearing jewelry based off of other faiths, that it would be okay to have her wearing the jewelry during the viewing, but then remove it before closing the casket so the family would think she was buried wearing it. My wife tried to protest, but was rebuffed by the other members claiming that it was okay to deceive the family if it was to uphold church policy. When my wife called the bishop, he backed up the others.

Posted by: MeM ( )
Date: December 15, 2017 04:57PM

I wonder if we would see Lutheran jewelry if we looked in those good sisters jewelry boxes.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 15, 2017 06:11PM

I like the way your mind works!

famous old joke, (and it has to be from the 1960s to make sense) given a mormon twist:

A very very rich man wanted to "take it with him", and came up with a plan. He called a Jewish Rabbi, a Catholic Priest and a mormon bishop to his home where he donated a few bucks for their time and told them there would be a very nice donation at the time of his death if they solemnly promised, on their respective ghawds, to carry out his orders. They all made the solemn promise.

The rich man explained that he wanted to be buried with all his money, which came to, at that point, a few million dollars. Upon his death, his trustees would cash out his assets and divide the resultant cash into three boxes, with each box to be delivered to one of the men assembled.

Then at the time of his burial, each holy man would toss his box into the grave and concrete would be poured over the boxes and casket, thus completing his dream of taking it with him.

After the death, each holy man got a box. On the day of the funeral, they each tossed a box in the grave and watched the concrete pour in.

On the way out, the three were together, and the Priest announced, "I feel terrible. I took out some of the money to help with repairs to the church and to help some needy people!"

The Rabbi let out a groan! "I did the same! It seemed a waste and I figured that ghawd had arranged this so that I could use some of that money for a good cause!"

They both then turned the Bishop who looked back at them, raised his eyebrows and said, "Are you kidding? I emptied the box, put in some newspapers, along with my personal check for the full amount...!!"

that joke no longer works because there are so many freaking billionaires!

Posted by: waunderdog ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 11:55PM

No will. And I won't exist to care what they do to me after I die.

Posted by: waunderdog ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 11:58PM

Besides, the reading of the will is usually well after the funeral. However, you could leave written, witnessed, notarized instructions with someone you trust to step in and block any Mormons messing with you.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: December 15, 2017 11:59AM

This can be done with a funeral home. If everything is prescribed ahead of time, the funeral home director will see to it that things go as planned. My mother-in-law did this and it really does help the survivors because we didn't have to guess what all her preferences were. She suffered from Alzheimer's in her last few years, so even then we would not necessarily get a straight answer from her. Only trouble we had was she had selected a certain style casket that was no longer available. My wife and her sister selected an alternative.

Posted by: lazylizard ( )
Date: December 15, 2017 05:29PM

When my body dies, I want the ashes to turn into a tree (cost is less than being buried

I refuse to be baptized again

No ugly ass white robes or gowns. Again, cremated and turned into a tree (shit is legit by the way)

No church hymns at my wedding.
Play "Come Sail Away" instead

These are a few I can think of.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.