Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: December 20, 2017 12:38PM

I've just learned that this morning's cabinet meeting in the WH was opened by the right reverend secretary Ben Carson with an invocation to God almighty.

Some folks here may not know that one of Ezra Taft Benson's duties as Eisenhower's secretary of agriculture was a sacred one.

Every cabinet meeting in Ike's White House was opened by Ezra reciting a prayer......except that one time when Ike began the meeting without the customary invocation.

As soon as he realized the omission he exclaimed "Oh my God, we forgot the damn prayer."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 20, 2017 12:43PM

A Carson invocation probably took 30 minutes, as laconic as he is.
Leaving no time to discuss cabinet business.

Maybe that was the point...?

Otherwise, it's just "Dear god, please help us to make the rich richer, take away healthcare from needy people, and wreck the environment, since it doesn't matter anyway as your second coming is just days away. Amen."

:)

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: December 20, 2017 10:10PM

I once heard Ben Carson announce firmly that He does not believe in Universal Health Care. He is a physician that came from a poor background. When asked why He did not support it, he exclaimed: "People have to learn to be more responsible!"

I have two serious conditions which require that I receive treatment and medications on a regular basis. I cannot receive them hit-or-miss style, according to what my pocketbook says I can do. They add up to thousands of dollars a month. If the Medicaid, which I got on through the Expansion, is taken away to finance the Republican tax-cut, it will literally be my death sentence. In order to save my life, I must become more responsible. For the last five years, I have been declared unable to work. My husband supports me, but he is on Medicare and cannot afford to pay for most of these treatments and meds. I am hopeful, however, that Roy Moore's loss will help enable me to live. Christian politicians seem to want to kill me! Their Jesus told them that a halocaust is preferable to allowing sick people to get away with Republican style irresponsibility. How dare you get sick and expect taxpayers to help take care of you! You should have saved for this! Never mind that we had three children to take care of. Their growing up years took every penny we had, except for what we paid in tithing...

Now there's an idea. Why didn't the LDS church tell us that it is irresponsible to pay tithing rather than save for emergencies? But eventually, the saved money will run out. Then we are responsible for dying in agony. We're not the taxpayers' problem.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: December 20, 2017 02:56PM

Not even God can save this Presidency--except in a I destroyed the village in order to save it kind of way. Help us Mueller!

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: December 21, 2017 04:57PM

Don't be silly.

Protecting America against all enemies,foreign and domestic, is the job the president swore an oath to do.

Since when is this board supporting illegals and would-be terrorists?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 21, 2017 05:04PM

You do realize that human beings don't always do what they promise (or swear oaths) to do...right?

Posted by: Omg ( )
Date: December 20, 2017 02:59PM

One wonders if Eisenhower knew what a freak show Mormonism is...
Or What a freak show ETB was...

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: December 20, 2017 04:51PM

When Ike was in the WH, Mormonism was (comparatively) a bit less of a freak show. All businessmen wore conservative suits, white shirts, and ties, minorities and women knew “their place,” and gays were hidden in the closet.

The one good thing about TSCC back in those days is that their finances weren’t hidden.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: December 20, 2017 03:53PM

I wonder if Trump feels the same as ETB regarding certain members of our society owning Cadillacs?

Date: December 20, 2017 04:20PM

Dunno Jonny, I'd say chances are about the same as ETB endorsing Roy Moore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2017 04:22PM by Shummy.

Date: December 20, 2017 05:12PM

You can say what you will about Ike but you can betcher ass he didn't go around the room expecting an ass kissing speech from every last cabinet secretary before any other business got done.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: December 21, 2017 12:42AM

Perhaps not. Business is getting done regardless of all the obstacles in the way.

Posted by: Curelom Joe ( )
Date: December 20, 2017 10:12PM

Spoken like a great soldier!

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: December 21, 2017 12:40AM

I dont think the prayer matters much but religious folks love to channel their words towards the sky hoping feedback will be received.

Date: December 21, 2017 05:06PM

Well I dunno but I fear my country has some sort of electile dysfunction.

I witness now how fragile we really are.

Dear dad taught me to fear the Rooskies but I never comprehended why.

Bob Dylan made a lot more sense back then when he said I was only a pawn in their game.

sigh

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.