Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: December 21, 2017 01:52PM

Facebook job ads are being used to filter out older applicants
https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/21/facebook-job-ads-older-workers-lawsuit/

age discrimination!??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 21, 2017 04:58PM

Why, as an older tech dude -- which these ads discriminate against -- I'd be really pissed off.

If I could remember what it is I'm supposed to be pissed off about.

What was it again? Sorry, senior moment...

:)

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: December 22, 2017 05:24PM

My older friends and I have been noticing that in the last few years society, in general, has shifted for the worse in its attitudes toward the old. It's like we are being thrown out the door.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 22, 2017 07:05PM

It's the 'changing of the guard.' Younger people see older people as dispensable (because we are.) No one is *indispensable* in the job market.

School teachers have lamented about it to me when my children were growing up. One of my son's best teachers told me she was treated like a prehistoric dinosaur in her 50's. Hence the older teachers get pressured to retire earlier than 62, so their jobs can go to 20 something year olds at a fraction of the cost.

I've been asked to quit my job by younger workers who would love to replace me. I smile and say no, thanks. Since I can't be forced out they just move on to something else. Being older I've noticed more discrimination because of my age than when I was younger.

When I interviewed for a job on vacation a couple of years ago, one of the questions I was asked was how often did I call in sick, and how much was I off for illness? I was gobsmacked! I didn't even think that was legal to ask about someone's health because it relates to possible disability discrimination.

When I complained to the Utah labor department they told me it is a legal question employers can ask of potential employees.

Only in Utah kids. I figure it was because I was older that I was asked that at all. In my 20's or 30's that question would never have come up.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: December 22, 2017 09:16PM

Facebook defends job ads that are only shown to young people
Amazon, Verizon, Target, and others were found to be using the targeted ads

https://www.techspot.com/news/72410-facebook-defends-job-ads-only-shown-young-people.html

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.