Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: June ( )
Date: December 20, 2017 12:58AM

With holidays coming up and dealing with lots of tbm family I would love a way to drink a little at parties without people knowing. What’s the best drink so I don’t have alcohol breathe?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Not logged in yet ( )
Date: December 20, 2017 03:25AM

I used to take a quarter mg of tranquilizer. If I had to drive, or get up early, or go to a Mormon meeting, I used to drink a couple of Cokes, beforehand.

I got angry. The Mormon weird-os were not going to drive me to drink or take drugs! I stopped attending many of their parties and events. Sometimes, I would arrive late and leave early, making sure I was not the first one to leave, but close to it. No more helping out with clean-up after. At an open house last weekend, I lied ahead of time, and said I had to leave early, to go to another open house. (I did have another open house to go to, but it wasn't until a couple of hours later.)

I stay sober, because I can defend myself better, and my sense of humor is sharper. When I'm around Mormons, I want to feel like I am in control!

I can enjoy parties, but it is after I get home from a party, that I have the most fun. I treat myself to whatever I want--a better dinner than what my hosts had to offer, alcohol (which is never offered), or a cup of hot cocoa with marshmallows. I get into my coziest PJ's, and watch a Christmas movie with my dog and cat, and revel in the fact that I don't have to go to another such party for many, many months. This peaceful alone-time is reward enough. I will get to sleep early enough to get up early and hike or ski or whatever I want to do in the morning. I won't have a hangover, or a sugar overdose

Focus on feeling good and having fun--after the damn party is over.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 20, 2017 06:54AM

^^^really good advice.

Getting high on life is the best high of all.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 20, 2017 07:33AM

It's likely to be discovered no matter how it's done. I suggest having a drink after the party or not attending if that's the point of accepting the invitation.

There are many better times and places for a drink than sneaking around at a TBM event.

Find better friends or hold off for a couple of hours.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 20, 2017 05:45AM

Vodka mixes with pretty much anything.

Date: December 20, 2017 07:01AM

My dad used to favor vodka when he drank. He either drank it straight up or would mix with OJ.

It's perfect for being a closet drinker if you're trying to hide it from friends and family.

Drinking alone (and in secret,) is a warning sign of alcoholism.

Even vodka is noticeable in its effects; and is hard liquor. If you aren't used to drinking, a little bit goes a long way.

Whatever you do, don't drink and drive.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: December 20, 2017 09:24AM

I put vodka in my special holiday cranberry sauce -- not enough to add a strong taste just that extra snap.

The mormon family members that have unwittingly broken the WofW at my table were none the wiser (or in denial).

I've been asked for the recipe several times -- and I've given it -- but minus one ingredient -- I'm sure theirs was never as good as mine.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: December 20, 2017 06:05PM

If you don't think vodka is detectable on your breath...you're wrong. Nothing will hide alcohol on your breath. And I'd stay away from tranquilizers ...grit and bear it with your family...or learn about edible MJ, but that's another story. Merry Christmas, enjoy your family in spite of the TBM overtones, they're the only family you have.

Posted by: June ( )
Date: December 20, 2017 09:58AM

Thank you guys. Skipping isn’t an option as they are fanily get together. And I have a lot more fun with s little buzz, basically the same as if I were at s monmormon party and had s glass or two of wine.

And I definitely appreciate the concerns of alcoholism. I’ve been around it a lot with someone close and I’ve seen the pain and struggle. I’m nowhere near that. I’m a have a drink with friends maybe once a month kind of person.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: December 20, 2017 06:31PM

Vodka on the rocks with 10% blue Listerine.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: December 20, 2017 04:45PM

pro tips by ziller:

all alcohol smells on your breath becuz it gets in your blood and is exhaled thru the lungs (science) ~

most Mormons may be able to smell it but they don't know what it is ~

other people - like COPS (watch yer a$$) and ex-drinkers can smell it across the room ~

keep a little travel bottle of listerine in your pocket (the kind that has alcohol) ~

chew some gum ~

peanut-breath covers alot so eat some of them ~

ziller agrees that a little (or medium size) buzz does make Mormon Fam a little more bearable ~

it also helps you sing Christmas songs better btw ~

DISCLAIMER: ziller only drinks alone or with people ~

oh yeah ~ in b 4 ~ don't drink and drive OPie

and oh yeah ~ drugs are bad ~ mkay ?

good luck OPie ~

Date: December 20, 2017 05:03PM

That's correct about vodka leaving a tell tale odor. Could usually tell when my dad was imbibing.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: December 21, 2017 12:00AM

Drink gasoline. It is less toxic, and you can say you spilled some while gassing up your car.

I'm no expert, but seems cocaine or heroin would give you a buzz, and there would be no smell. Just cover the needle marks.

Or maybe check out their bathroom and find some prescription drugs.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: December 22, 2017 11:59PM

A beer might improve your disposition.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 21, 2017 02:41AM

Microdosing

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: December 21, 2017 03:10AM

FWIW, the recipe for home made peppermint schnapps is one part everclear and one part Scope.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: December 22, 2017 05:47PM

Sacred

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.