Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 21, 2017 12:47AM

I was the one who answered the phone, since DH was in a different room. DH has had the same HT for at least a decade. He is a nice old guy.

He was, of course, gracious enough to include me in the invitation, though he knows I resigned over a decade ago. The very idea of spending time in a Mo-chapel made my skin crawl, but I was polite about it. I reminded him that I am very limited in terms of ambulation (which is true, but I am selective about where and when I ambulate.)

If DH wants to attend church, I will be glad to go with him to the Presbyterian Church where I am nominally a member. Years ago, I had a talk with the minister there (who is a sweetheart) and I explained to him that while DH does not fit the technical requirement of having been baptized according to the classic "Christian" authority, he is, at heart, about as Christian as they come. He told me to encourage DH to take Communion if he wanted to, and DH did so. So, DH knows that he is welcome there. I imagine that they have a lovely tree, poinsettias, and decorations.

I have a handicapped parking placard, so we can park very close to the church, and I can walk the very short distance into the church.

I no longer have religious beliefs of any sort, but if DH wants to attend a Christian church service, I will be more than happy to attend a REAL one with him. It would be nice to hear REAL Christmas carols, too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 21, 2017 12:59AM

Howdy Catnip! I’m in a similar situation. For years I’ve invited my family to attend Christmas Eve services with me. They’ve always refused or had other plans. I can’t stand going it alone on Christmas Eve anymore. The music is beautiful, and everything is joyous and positive. But, it’s lonely without my family.

I’ve tried to do Morg church with them. There no joy or celebration. And, the speakers may just want to talk about the importance of peanut butter as part of food storage (you never know with Mormons).

I hope DH spends time with you and that it’s joyful, church or no church. As always, I appreciate your posts. Love, joy, and peace. Boner.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 21, 2017 01:03AM

With Mormons, their alt motive(s) aren't very much below their "sweet" exterior; Maybe (or maybe not) faithful HT is still hoping to snag (Oops, 'convert')U, 'bring u back to the fold'... I'm 100% sure the PH guy he reports to asks about that occasionally.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: December 21, 2017 01:10AM

I love Christmas Eve services. My church of choice is Episcopalian. I love the carols, the brass ensembles and timpani, etc, Once a year is enough though. ;)

I love choral music and sang in the choir there for ten years, and spent every Christmas Eve there for another ten.

It's the oldest Episcopal church in my hometown. They're sophisticated people, and don't mind if you only come once a year. In fact, they were always happy to see me, and then my wife and kids too, as my family grew.

I haven't been in a few years. My dad passed away a few years ago, and my extended family is toxic, so we no longer travel home for the holidays.

We started our own family traditions though, which included visiting a beautiful little Episcopal church out in the country, but last year they quit having their Christmas Eve service, at least the late night one that we liked. :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2017 01:17AM by nomonomo.

Posted by: gordongrant ( )
Date: December 21, 2017 05:54PM

And CANDLES...beautiful candlelight services.
Where the candles are viewed as a symbol of light coming into the world, and not as in LDS thought a symbol of wrong, pagan religion.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 22, 2017 01:33PM

I love the candles at the late night/midnight Christmas Eve services, especially when "Silent Night" is sung. I also love that as a woman, I can wear jeans and a nice sweater if I want, and blend right in with everyone else. To me, the fact that Mormon buildings are closed unless Christmas is on Sunday shows that they're really a cult, and not Christian at all.

It's no coincidence that I only spent a single Easter in the cult, since nothing was mentioned about the reason for Easter. As I was told that they allegedly focused on the risen Christ, I was expecting Easter to be the most important day of the year, but it wasn't.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 23, 2017 02:34AM

He came back looking like he was in shell-shock.

There was nothing about the Resurrection. Perilously little about Jesus. In fact, from what he said, you couldn't even be sure it was about Easter.

He still considers himself a Mormon, but I think "Generic Christian" is more accurate. He is a genuine believer, but the Mormons have done a lot to damage themselves, in his view.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: December 21, 2017 02:48AM

My daughter's TBM in-laws want to have their whole family go to church with them on Christmas Eve.

This interferes with my own family's traditional Christmas Eve, so I'm resentful of the Mormons bullying us and taking over my daughter's family. I couldn't resist saying, "Funny, that your in-laws have never wanted a Christmas Eve together, in the past--not until now." I said, "This is not a "family tradition" with your in-laws. It's a one-time demand, because Christmas Eve happens to be on a Sunday. They will go back to the way things are, after this one Christmas. I will not move my schedule to suit the demands of the Mormons."

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 21, 2017 03:25AM

Since when did Mormons start having Christmas Eve services the night before Christmas?

Even though it falls on a Sunday, I don't remember our family going to an evening service on Sundays except before it went to the three hour block schedules, and that was Sacrament only, in the early evening like 6:30sh.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: December 21, 2017 07:09AM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since when did Mormons start having Christmas Eve
> services the night before Christmas?
>
> Even though it falls on a Sunday, I don't remember
> our family going to an evening service on Sundays
> except before it went to the three hour block
> schedules, and that was Sacrament only, in the
> early evening like 6:30sh.

My experience as well. I've never known the Mormons to ever do a special Christmas Eve service. Or an Easter sunrise service or a Good Friday service either. Several years ago Easter Sunday coincided with general conference and it was business as usual.....all the wards were shuttered and the Mormons stayed home to listen/watch their fearless leaders ramble on about paying tithing and working harder for the cult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2017 07:52AM by caedmon.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: December 21, 2017 07:37AM

Looking forward to Christmas Eve service at our Lutheran Church. We do a lessons and carols type service and the music is always spectacular. I can't even imagine how bland and generic LDS Christmas Eve "meetings" must be.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 22, 2017 11:20AM

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: December 23, 2017 01:38AM

Loved Midnight Mass at the Episcopal church when I was a kid: carols, a mercifully short service, then the lights would be turned off and the priest would light one candle, light another with it and each parishioner would then pass the flame as it lit each of their candles, all while singing 'Silent Night'.

If there was a full moon out on Christmas Eve, so much the better.

The mormon church down the street was closed and locked.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.